× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Rs700

Vood
Aspirant

Rs700

Standard setup and frequent disconnect and reboots of router and modem. Armory off or on same results. Gonna try again with smart connect off...but so far...it's horrible experience. Tried setup with ap and at pc...reinstalled my rax120 and all perfect again...not 1 disconnect. Am I alone? Had xfinity come to house and verify from modem to them all is perfect. Hopefully it is smart connect causing the disconnect.
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 13
Vood
Aspirant

Arris s33 surfboard router and I will check and troubleshoot rs700 again in hr or so. Firmware said no updates found.
Message 3 of 13

@Vood wrote:
Arris s33 surfboard router ...

Is that your modem?

If so, it could be a modem/router – Google is not definitive on what that might be – and you are asking for trouble adding an RS700 to that.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

It may be possible to put the modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded on the router?

The Arris s33 is a modem only unit. 

Message 5 of 13
Vood
Aspirant

Arris s33 is modem only. My mistake. Firmware v1.0.7.66_2.0.72
Got the rs700 set back up with smart connect off and see how it does.

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Message 7 of 13
Vood
Aspirant

Thank you much for replies. I have 5 surrounding houses...city living. I also have 28 connected devices. I'm watching a movie now testing connection with armor and smart enable off. When movie over I am going to try your manual settings.
Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 9 of 13
Vood
Aspirant

Nope...disconnected...dang it.
Message 10 of 13
Vood
Aspirant

I'm not going to waste anyone's time. I'm returning it. Rax120 works perfect and not in mood troubleshooting. Thank you.
Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. Sorry it didn't work out.

Good Luck.

@DarrenM @jessejames87 @BH-C 

Message 12 of 13
smoothster
Tutor

I have switched back to my RAX120 also, but mainly because readyshare usage for backups causes a memory leak and the RS700 runs out of memory and reboots

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7