Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

LBR20 No Longer Supported on ATT?

stevenc23
Aspirant

LBR20 No Longer Supported on ATT?

Recently got email from Cricket that my LBR20 will not work after this month on their network (which is the ATT network).  Spoke to ATT and they agree it is not on the list of compatible devices after they drop 3g later this month.  Can't get through to Netgear to confirm but netgear website still says LBR20 still says Certified to work with ATT.  Hoping to figure this out and be proactive before possibly losing service.

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: LBR20 No Longer Supported on ATT?

Hello stevenc23,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. 

I informed my superiors about the issue, they are working diligently to come up with a solution. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 2 of 8
suesgirl
Aspirant

I am in the same boat I guess I use ATT. I hope they're wrong I just bought this 6 months ago.
Message 3 of 8
stevenc23
Aspirant

Looks like this is going to happen 2/22 on the ATT network.

Per ATT webpage:   

"After February 22, 2022 some 4G LTE modules and devices that request 3G voice services and data-only services to connect to the AT&T network will no longer work. You don't want to be left without service."

So the question is does the LBR20 use 3G to request or VoLTE?

Anyone know the answer?

3G_Shutdown_Impact_on_4G_Devices 

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello stevenc23,

The LBR20 will not be impacted by AT&T's decision to phase out 3G.

Best,

Kevin 

Community Team 

Message 5 of 8
Neilc2
Initiate

So, while it may be true that technically the lbr20 will work, ATT are still not accepting it. So Netgear 's certification is essentially invalid. Can anything be done by Netgear?
Message 6 of 8
suesgirl
Aspirant

I believe I have been affected by this.
Message 7 of 8
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @stevenc23, @suesgirl and @Neilc2,

The list of AT&T branded devices that will still work on their network after 3G shutdown can be found here https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/pdf/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf. You will notice that the list does not include any actual retail devices like LBR20 and so on. The 3G shutdown means that there will be no 3G service offered so if you have a device that supports both LTE and 4G with 3G fallback or if you locked it to 3G you will not be able to get service anymore. For devices where you have specifically told the device to use 3G Only or WCDMA Only those settings need to be changed to LTE Only, LTE All or Auto mode so that you can get 4G LTE service. LBR20 will work you need a data only plan and LBR20 does not require VoLTE as VoLTE is voice over LTE and that only applies to phones or voice capable devices and LBR20 is a data only device so you may just need to make sure that your plan is compatible with data only devices. So, if AT&T customer service rep tells you that LBR20 needs VoLTE you need to remind them that LBR20 is a data only device and does not support voice features.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7