Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi LTE LBR20 - APN settings , unable to list, unable to add ?

ZorkTrilogy
Aspirant

Orbi LTE LBR20 - APN settings , unable to list, unable to add ?

All right, so your web interface for the forum is horrible, the text is white with a white background by default, FYI , forward to appropriate dev, as you can not see any text in the body field unless you elect to manually edit HTML.

I need to know something. I have worked through several of your devices interfaces, and only on the LBR20 series the APN is just a text field!

There is nothing in debug.htm that is applicable, the router has been upgraded to all latest firmware as of 03/18/2022, V2.6.5.32, LTE modem is flashed using 06 NA. The router has been power cycled many times

How do I edit, enumerate, and delete APN's? Please do not upload a picture pointing at the greyed out text field for the APN. On your other devices, like the MR1100, you can add APN's or delete APN's, and even in the manual for the LBR20-1usnas it also says that you may need to set up the correct APN from your provider, but it does not tell you where you can edit the APN.

I am a developer, I use SSH to access many of my devices, so I understand more than the average user. Do I eneable ssh login, or telnet login, and use some tools to enumerate APNS? Can you edit the APN's? When I click on the APN in the web interface it does nothing, it shows nothing, it enumerates nothing, it does not even allow you to add a non-existant APN

Why is APN editing on every firmware for LTE routers except the LBR20? Is this unit still locked or is this the intended design for this device?

Thank you for your time and patience.

Message 1 of 3
ZorkTrilogy
Aspirant

Re: Orbi LTE LBR20 - APN settings , unable to list, unable to add ?

So I realized that Netgear outsources all of the firmware builds, which explains why they use the worst developed version of OpenWRT on their devices, I think they all come with Chaos Calmer (CC for short).

I also realized that they disabled the telnet, but the daemon is still listening for the magic packet to enable telnet, but they have not updated their own open source telnet enable to reflect the recent changes of using a non-standard blowfish encryption. I know they did this to mitigate the CVE that used the old method to gain access to an internal device, but it severely hampers 3rd party development.

I know they don't get this, but open source is supposed to open so people can publish fixes and work arounds, by them using a 3rd party firmware developer DNI? based in TW, it means that when they do release the OSrc it is usually stripped of anything that is useful or meaningful or they binary blob bits that they legally do not have to in an attempt to prevent development outside their own outdated system.

At this time 03/2022 the device I am talking about is not even listed in their web support drop down, so you can't even select it for similar tagging.

I have most of the LTE modem documentation from Quectel now and I see how easy it is to edit, add, or delete APN for a connection, and you can monitor LTE aggregation and get errors or statistics for debugging, in other words, it is extremely helpful to your end user. So what do they do? They take it out or hide it... LoL!

So the part I don't understand is why lock it down and obfuscate it?

Obfuscation does not equal security, that statement will always be true, even decades from this post entering your eye sockets or ear holes.

Orginally I was thinking that they could just copy the code from the MR1100 and just rebuild the firmware, but now I realize the entire support system is non-existant, as it is all low level people forwarding comments to low level people that decide if it is important enough to send to a developer, and that chain is quite long. It has kind of turned me off to NG products now, as they don't even have an in house dev team to see these problems for themselves, they rely on people to complain about problems and neatly pick out bits to send further to developers.

If they included an administration tab that allowed you to enable telnet/ssh, development debug, and direct access to the LTE moden for diagnostics, I don't think there would be a problem with that, but their dev team seems to think security through obscurity is better for the public.

And I do have a lot of Netgear products, so I was never really biased in any way.

Message 2 of 3
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi LTE LBR20 - APN settings , unable to list, unable to add ?

Hi, ZorkTrilogy

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. To post ideas for the future suggestions please navigate to the link below:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home/status-key/newi...

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7