Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi lbr20

Kmcclean
Aspirant

Orbi lbr20

Hi there,
I have just set up the Orbi LBR20 with 2 satellites and it is working well.
I notice a couple of antenna connection points on the router - are there any specific antennae which I would need to use and is it just a question of connecting up or is additional configuration in the router required for an external antenna to work successfully ?

I am a complete novice by the way and would appreciate any guidance. Many thanks

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi lbr20

@Kmcclean wrote:
Hi there,
I notice a couple of antenna connection points on the router - are there any specific antennae which I would need to use and is it just a question of connecting up or is additional configuration in the router required for an external antenna to work successfully ?

If you are happy with the system, external antennas would been to be "optional".  People who have very weak LTE service, often need the antennas to get a good signal.

Be careful when searching for LTE antennas.  Orbi LBR20 requires "SMA" antenna connectors. (there are adapters)

For example, Amazon's Netgear "Best Seller", comes with T-9 connectors https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-6000450-MIMO-Antenna-Connectors/dp/B00DN3J03O/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&ke... Other models (for half the price) include adapters in the box.

There are two connectors because the LBR20 uses "MIMO" to improve the signal quality. that calls for either two separate antennas or a "MIMO Antenna."

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@Kmcclean wrote:
Hi there,

If you are happy with the system, external antennas would been to be "optional".  People who have very weak LTE service, often need the antennas to get a good signal.

Be careful when searching for LTE antennas.  Orbi LBR20 requires "SMA" antenna connectors. (there are adapters)

For example, Amazon's Netgear "Best Seller", comes with T-9 connectors https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-6000450-MIMO-Antenna-Connectors/dp/B00DN3J03O/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&ke... Other models (for half the price) include adapters in the box.

There are two connectors because the LBR20 uses "MIMO" to improve the signal quality. that calls for either two separate antennas or a "MIMO Antenna."

Message 2 of 4
Kmcclean
Aspirant

Thank you very much CrimpOn.  Very helpful response. 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to visit the Orbi LTE forum as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-LTE/bd-p/en-home-orbi-lte

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos