Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changing the Name of the Devices in the Orbi App

issaquah
Initiate

Changing the Name of the Devices in the Orbi App

I have set up several Orbi systems for various clients. All are listed in the Orbi app....but they are listed just by the product name: For example, my list shows RBR750, RBR850, etc. I would like to RENAME these systems with the name of the CLIENT (like Smith, Jones, Rogers, etc). I have gone into the settings for each router and can change the name of router...but it does not change the name on the list in the app. How can I do that?

Message 1 of 7
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Changing the Name of the Devices in the Orbi App

Hello issaquah,

I understand that you would like to have the name of the Orbi reflect the clients that you are servicing. 

To change the device name please follow the following steps:

First, navigate to routerlogin.net

Next, select the "ADVANCED" Tab

Then, select the device name

Finally, change the name to one that is desired.

Let me know if this helps!!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

I believe the issue is that after changing the router names, those new names do not appear on the "List of Systems" in the Orbi app.

When I click on the Home icon (little house in a cloud), that screen shows the model number of the Orbi router, not the personalized name.

If this app was used to manage several Orbi systems, each of them would have the model number, rather than the actual "name".

Frankly, it had not occurred to me that a customer would want to have one Orbi app manage a number of different Orbi systems, which appears to be the case here.

Message 3 of 7
issaquah
Initiate

Thanks for that tip! BUT is there anyway to do that from the ORBI app?? Or must one be onsite and login to the Orbi GUI?

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

The app has a section called "Router Settings" that allows me to edit the name of my Orbi router.

Alas, I have only one router, so I have no idea what happens when a person has more than one.

Message 5 of 7
AmandaOverton
Aspirant

I also have this issue as I use them in an enterprise setting, for several different locations to cater to a security system. And they all say 'RBR110' which is kind of a nuisance, having to go to each one to see what location they are. It would be nice to edit those system names. 

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Absolutely.  I view it as an unfortunate programming decision to display the model number of the Orbi router rather than the name that the user has given to the router.

There is a community forum where users suggest things:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home/tab/most-recent

I have entered the idea. Perhaps you would like to comment or "Kudo"?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7