Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Network Map of Orbi app shows iPhone 7 as satellite

RDSp
Tutor

Network Map of Orbi app shows iPhone 7 as satellite

We have been using the Orbi RBK750S wifi 6 mesh system for four months. Last week my wife’s iPhone 7 first started showing up as a satellite on the Network Map of the Orbi app. We have 2 satellites but the map shows 3 with one being the iPhone 7. I am not aware of any setting changes to the network or phone. The phone’s personal hotspot is off. The app has had 2 “upgrades” in the past couple of weeks, the last containing “critical fixes”. Netgear had a major outage earlier this week with login issues. I did not notice the iPhone on the Network Map until after the upgrades and the outage.

The 2 satellites and the iPhone/“satellite” were initially in a star configuration with all three showing connections to the router, even when the iPhone was actually connected to one of the satellites. The small button next to the phone on the Network Map on the app is magenta. As far as I can tell, all devices (including the iPhone 7) and the network are functioning normally. I have the Orbi app loaded on an iPhone 6 and a newer iPad. Both show the same Network Map. The Network Map did not change after turning off and on the iPhone 7/“satellite” and both devices which have the Orbi app. 

After I power cycled the system, the map did change. It still shows 3 satellites with one being the iPhone. However, the phone is now at the bottom center of the map with a short solid line extending vertically above the icon but not connecting with the router (or either true satellite). The true satellites have a dotted line extending all the way to the router. The iPhone 7/“satellite” had a dotted line extending all the way to the router before the power cycling.

On the advice of a member of the community, I tried to edit the details of the iPhone 7 under the Network Map, but the only editable entry was the name which is appropriate and does not contain the word satellite. After the power cycling, the device details list the Connection Type as Offline, the Hardware Type as Satellite, the Hardware Version as Xerox Corporation, and the MAC Address as all zeros. Obviously, the last 3 or wrong but I don’t see a way to edit them. I don’t recall these entries prior to the power cycling.

I accessed the network via a browser, and all settings look appropriate.

A2F5C3D5-B8CE-400B-A6D3-A6ABEF0744BC.jpeg

• Does anybody have any suggestions? Is this a minor annoyance or a symptom of something more serious?After power cycleAfter power cycle
Message 1 of 5
RDSp
Tutor

By the way, the Network Map did not change after deleting and reloading the app on both the iPhone y and the iPad. With everything seemingly working well and a family member working from home, I am reluctant to do a painful factory reset.

Message 2 of 5
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello RDSp,

May you reinstall the Orbi app and check if your router is due for a firmware update. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 3 of 5
RDSp
Tutor

I had deleted and reinstalled the Orbi app on both devices with no change in the Network Map.

The router firmware is up-to-date.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch using a wired PC and web browser. I would complete the setup wizard with out the RBS connected. Once that completes, sync each RBS 1 at a time to get them connected. Check the RBRs web page connected devices section first in a web browser. Then check the orbi app. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7