Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Pro Bricked in AP mode after going to firmware

biopticcoder
Aspirant

Orbi Pro Bricked in AP mode after going to firmware

Recently my SXR80 was updated to 4.3.2.100 through the insights app which resulted in the AP being bricked. I tried the following steps.

1. Factory reset using the reset button and selecting AP during the setup.
  2. Factory reset, then select router (which worked) it then bricked again when I changed it to AP mode.
  3. Factory reset, select router, then try re-installing the firmware and moving to AP.
  4. Factory reset, and manually downgrade the firmware. This seemed to work until I tried adding it back to the insight app which tried t update the firmware and bricked it again.

Thank you for your help!

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@biopticcoder wrote:

Recently my SXR80 was updated to 4.3.2.100 through the insights app which resulted in the AP being bricked. I tried the following steps.

1. Factory reset using the reset button and selecting AP during the setup.
  2. Factory reset, then select router (which worked) it then bricked again when I changed it to AP mode.
  3. Factory reset, select router, then try re-installing the firmware and moving to AP.
  4. Factory reset, and manually downgrade the firmware. This seemed to work until I tried adding it back to the insight app which tried t update the firmware and bricked it again.

Thank you for your help!

Tells me that some config pushed from Insight is simply not workable in your environment....

Message 2 of 13
biopticcoder
Aspirant

I did it as the setup of a new product, and not the adoption of an existing one so if that is true it would be in the default config. 

Message 3 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Insight does not care about the changed / default local config applied. Once it will be re-added to Insight ... Or have you had dropped the complete existing Insight location before?

Message 4 of 13
biopticcoder
Aspirant

Great option, I just tried deleting the device, creating a new location, and adding it to that. Same result unfortunately.

Message 5 of 13
schumaku
Guru

All devices, the router and the satellites are getting  IP addresses from the local DHCP server? This continues to be the same when changing to AP mode?

Following the factory reset, does the router have a dedicated link to the upstream router or Internet Gateway? How are the satellites connected? By a wired backhaul, or by dedicated Ethernet links. Direct links, or via some other switch or some sort of bigger wired infrastructure with switches? 

Message 6 of 13
biopticcoder
Aspirant

I will try to answer your questions below. 

The router is OPNSense which also hosts the DHCP server. There is a 24 port managed tplink switch between the router and the Orbi. I did try directly connecting with the same results. The satellite is using a wireless backhaul, but I tried with it turned on and off to see if that was the issue. When using any other firmware the Orbi gets an IP address that is statically assigned by the DHCP server. When I go to the firmware listed and go to AP mode it is no longer detected by the router and isn't getting an IP address. It is broadcasting on the default SSID after a factory reset, but no IP address is assigned when I connect to it over Wi-Fi or by an ethernet cable. At this that point I have no way of accessing the router or its portal until I do another factory reset. 

I spoke with support for about an hour today the recommendation was to downgrade the firmware and not connect it to the insight app. While I do have it working in that config, It isn't a good long term solution. 

Message 7 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@biopticcoder wrote:

I spoke with support for about an hour today the recommendation was to downgrade the firmware and not connect it to the insight app. While I do have it working in that config, It isn't a good long term solution. 

Ok, so continue on this path. Reads like Netgear support is aware of an issue.

Message 8 of 13
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Techdeskxy,

Kindly report this to support so we can further investigate what happened to your unit.

Kind regards,

Message 9 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@BrianL wrote:

Kindly report this to support so we can further investigate what happened to your unit.

Brilliant answer, or not....

How is the average John Doe supposed to contact Netgear Support , lack of a product support entitlement (read withing the 90 days free support window,  or a subscription).

Yes, it's possible indeed, head to https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx and find your way trough:

Screenshot_20240214-124629.png

To succeed, a valid Netgear login is required, a (simple) opening of a ticket is required, as well and a call to a phone number provided with the code received is required:

Netgear Support pxled.png

There are many reasons why  such questions are asked in the community....

Message 10 of 13
schumaku
Guru

...somehow I feel @BrianL was about to reply in a different thread ... here 

Message 11 of 13
DavidGo
NETGEAR Expert

We have shared a patch firmware for this issue which has so far been successful. We are working on an official release which will include this fix, will share the ETA once I know more.

If anyone else runs into the issue and wishes to try the patch, please send me a DM.

Thanks

DavidGo

Message 12 of 13
ErwinL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @biopticcoder

Would you like to provide us update if the patch was provided and did it resolved your issue? 

Have a lovely day,
Erwin
Netgear Team

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements