Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Pro generating 10.0.0.## IP addresses for all devices

Matthewd78
Aspirant

Orbi Pro generating 10.0.0.## IP addresses for all devices

Hi, I am hoping someone can help.

I am attempting to configure an IoT device that will run on my network 24/7 and in order to do so I need to enter the IP address into my browser in order to reach a configurations page.  However, the 10.0.0.## IP address that is generated is returning the error "This site cannot be reached".  I have noticed that every device that runs on my network has a 10.0.0.## IP address instead of the 192.168.#.# that is typical.  Is there anything I can do to allow the typical 192.168.#.# IP addresses to be generated so I can configure the IoT device?

• Orbi Pro w/ 1 Satellite
  • Hardware Version   SRR60 
  • Firmware Version   V2.6.2.200 
  • GUI Language Version   V1.0.0.409 
  • Operation Mode   Router 
  • DHCP Server   On
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Pro generating 10.0.0.## IP addresses for all devices

Please visit and post about this over in the Orbi Pro forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-orbi-pro

You may have a router in front of the Orbi router that uses the same IP address as the Orbi router does, 

Good Luck

Message 2 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Matthewd78 wrote:

Hi, I am hoping someone can help.

I am attempting to configure an IoT device that will run on my network 24/7 and in order to do so I need to enter the IP address into my browser in order to reach a configurations page.  However, the 10.0.0.## IP address that is generated is returning the error "This site cannot be reached".  I have noticed that every device that runs on my network has a 10.0.0.## IP address instead of the 192.168.#.# that is typical.  Is there anything I can do to allow the typical 192.168.#.# IP addresses to be generated so I can configure the IoT device?

@FURRYe38is correct.  Orbi WiFi routers normally assign IP addresses in the 192.168.1.x subnet to devices on the Orbi LAN side, with 192.168.1.1 being the Orbi itself as the gateway.  When an Orbi receives a 192.168.1.x address on its WAN port, it changes to assigning the other "public IP address" range of 10.0.0.x.  (Why it does not just "move up" to 192.168.2.x is a mystery.)

So, 10.0.0.x means that there is a router in front of the Orbi that has assigned 192.168.1 (something) to the Orbi WAN port.

Most IoT devices do not receive an IP address from the Orbi router until they have been configured.  They cannot connect to the Orbi WiFi untili they know the Orbi WiFi SSID/Password.  At that point, the smartphone "app" that is used to control the IoT device usually connects to it "through the cloud", not by IP address.

Perhaps if you describe the IoT device, it would be easier to figure out what is going on.

Message 3 of 13
Matthewd78
Aspirant

The device I am trying to configure is a crypto currency mining rig and it is hard wired, it is not WiFi capable.  The ethernet cable is ran from the wall in a home office to the router in the same room, then back to a 2nd port in the wall that connects to a recently added port in the basement where the mining rig is located.

Message 4 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Matthewd78 wrote:

The device I am trying to configure is a crypto currency mining rig and it is hard wired, it is not WiFi capable.  The ethernet cable is ran from the wall in a home office to the router in the same room, then back to a 2nd port in the wall that connects to a recently added port in the basement where the mining rig is located.

Cool. (not a typical "Internet of Thiings" device, but still interesting.)  If the Orbi Attached Devices page shows it at an IP address of 10.0.0.x, then that is indeed "where it is."  Not being familiar with mining rigs, some questions:

• Is this a general purpose computer, such as a Windows or Linux machine?
  • Does it have a console (keyboard/display), or is it "headless"?

The firewall on Windows computers, for example, does not allow connections unless specifically told to.  Linux machines are the same way.

I am assuming that the connection attempt is from a computer/smartphone/device on the Orbi LAN, correct?

(If it is an internet site, having two routers - "Double NAT" - will make this impossible, see https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT )

Message 5 of 13
Matthewd78
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Matthewd78 wrote:

Cool. (not a typical "Internet of Thiings" device, but still interesting.)  If the Orbi Attached Devices page shows it at an IP address of 10.0.0.x, then that is indeed "where it is."  Not being familiar with mining rigs, some questions:

• Is this a general purpose computer, such as a Windows or Linux machine?
  • Does it have a console (keyboard/display), or is it "headless"?

The firewall on Windows computers, for example, does not allow connections unless specifically told to.  Linux machines are the same way.

I am assuming that the connection attempt is from a computer/smartphone/device on the Orbi LAN, correct?

(If it is an internet site, having two routers - "Double NAT" - will make this impossible, see https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT )

Yes, I am attempting to connect via a laptop on the local network.  The mining rig is not a general purpose computer, and it does not have a keyboard or display.  Below is a link to a YouTube review and tutorial explaining how to use the IP to configure the miner, you can skip to the 5:40 mark to get to the part about using the IP to configure it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e07eW6-rBPI&list=WL&index=2&t=388s

Message 6 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Wow. This has been an education!  What happens when a web browser is used to open this IP address, i.e. http://10.10.???

Message 7 of 13
Matthewd78
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Wow. This has been an education!  What happens when a web browser is used to open this IP address, i.e. http://10.10.???

The 10.0.0.## IP address is returning the error "This site cannot be reached".

I should also confirm that I do not have 2 routers,  I replaced the router provided by my ISP with the Orbi Pro a little over a year ago.  I cannot recall if I disconnected the old router before adding the Orbi, if I did not, would that have caused the Orbi to think there was another router ahead of it?  Would it benefit me to disconnect the Orbi, Satellite and connected devices and start-up again?

Message 8 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Matthewd78 wrote:

I should also confirm that I do not have 2 routers,  I replaced the router provided by my ISP with the Orbi Pro a little over a year ago.  I cannot recall if I disconnected the old router before adding the Orbi, if I did not, would that have caused the Orbi to think there was another router ahead of it?  Would it benefit me to disconnect the Orbi, Satellite and connected devices and start-up again?

It is quite often a good idea to "start from the beginning" again.  i.e. Factory Reset the Orbi router, then perform a configuration using a PC connected to one of the Orbi LAN ports (not the Orbi "app").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

Can you provide the brand/model number of the modem or fiber Optical Network Terminator (ONT) that the Orbi is connected to?

Message 9 of 13
Matthewd78
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Matthewd78 wrote:

It is quite often a good idea to "start from the beginning" again.  i.e. Factory Reset the Orbi router, then perform a configuration using a PC connected to one of the Orbi LAN ports (not the Orbi "app").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

Can you provide the brand/model number of the modem or fiber Optical Network Terminator (ONT) that the Orbi is connected to?

I am not using a modem or fiber ONT, I was told it was not needed with the Orbi Pro.  The old router that was provided by my ISP was a Netgear AC1750 and I did not have a modem for that either.  I am on fiber optic internet and the ethernet is connected from the wall port to the router.

Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Matthewd78 wrote:

I am not using a modem or fiber ONT, I was told it was not needed with the Orbi Pro.  The old router that was provided by my ISP was a Netgear AC1750 and I did not have a modem for that either.  I am on fiber optic internet and the ethernet is connected from the wall port to the router.

There most certainly is a fiber ONT "somewhere".  Optical fiber comes to the house, yet there is an ethernet jack on the wall (not a fiber jack).  The ISP has placed a converter somewhere, and it has to have electrical power. (Maybe they also run power from the street to every house?)  Because there is only a single ethernet jack, the ISP device is most likely only a converter.  A combination converter/router would have more jacks.  If you would not mind sharing which ISP this is, I'd love to look at their web site to see how they describe their installation process.

This being the case, then when the Orbi is reset and connected, I would expect it to receive a public IP address from the ISP and to create a local network in the 192.168.1.x range.

Message 11 of 13
schumaku
Guru

It does not really matter if using the common 192.168.1.0/24 (also sometimes 192.168.0.0/24) subnetwork for the LAN, or any other IP subnet from the RFC1918 network range, e.g. 10.0.0.0/24 the Netgear systems use as an alternate if there is a subnet overlap on the WAN/Internet interface.

Challenge the maker of your miner why it won't be reachable on the http://10.0.0.x:80/ URL.

Before considering to go the harder way and reset the Orbi Pro to the defaults and restart from scratch, check what it currently shows as the WAN/Internet address on the Orbi Pro Web UI. If this is still some 192.168.x.x ... figure, you can scratch the idea to run the initial installation again.

Message 12 of 13
Matthewd78
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Matthewd78 wrote:

There most certainly is a fiber ONT "somewhere".  Optical fiber comes to the house, yet there is an ethernet jack on the wall (not a fiber jack).  The ISP has placed a converter somewhere, and it has to have electrical power. (Maybe they also run power from the street to every house?)  Because there is only a single ethernet jack, the ISP device is most likely only a converter.  A combination converter/router would have more jacks.  If you would not mind sharing which ISP this is, I'd love to look at their web site to see how they describe their installation process.

This being the case, then when the Orbi is reset and connected, I would expect it to receive a public IP address from the ISP and to create a local network in the 192.168.1.x range.

My ISP is EPB (https://epb.com/home-store/internet).  I will look in a couple of hours to see if I can find a converter anywhere (wall or outside connection).

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7