Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SRR90 & RBS50Y

Anzenchitai
Aspirant

SRR90 & RBS50Y

I am using 2x routers with my cable modem on a 1Gbps connection. Indoor is RBKE963 and another indoor SRR90 to pair with the outside extender RBS50Y. Just how do I strengthen the speed and signal. The outside extender is located at the edge of the second floor balcony, and I m only 25 feet away on the ground but the speed is totally unacceptable of 14Mbps. I have doubt in Netgear’s claim on the effective range of their products now. The cable modem is in bridge mode, so the signals are not fighting each other.

The firmware version on the SRR90 is version 2.7.2.102

and the firmware version of the RBKE963 is version 3.0.3.88_3.1.17

I not sure yet if I want to get a 2.5GbE switch to connect the entire RBKE963 with CAT8 cable or not.

Guys, thanks in advance and sorry for multiple msgs.

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: SRR90 & RBS50Y

@Anzenchitai wrote:

I am using 2x routers with my cable modem on a 1Gbps connection.

Keep in mind you end with two LANs with such a setup - so nothing advanced is possible.

@Anzenchitai wrote:

Indoor is RBKE963 and another indoor SRR90 to pair with the outside extender RBS50Y. Just how do I strengthen the speed and signal. The outside extender is located at the edge of the second floor balcony, and I m only 25 feet away on the ground but the speed is totally unacceptable of 14Mbps.

With the wireless connection from the balcony, 25 ft away, in all free air and direct line of sight, the limitation must be somewhere else - for example the wireless backhaul from the in-house SRR60 to the RBS50Y. 5 GHz will hit the physical limitations very quick. Inside of a building, an average workable 5 GHz backhaul connection requires a line of light, no walls et all in the radio path.

@Anzenchitai wrote:

I not sure yet if I want to get a 2.5GbE switch to connect the entire RBKE963 with CAT8 cable or not.

For 2.5GbE and 5 GbE even existing CAT5E (100 MHz) is sufficient, CAT6 (250 MHz) and up is validated. it can even run 10 GbE up to 55 m, CAT6E (500 MHz) is required for 10 GbE at the full span. Anything beyond is an overkill, IEEE 802.3 no standards are in sight requiring these. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements