Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXK80 and BT FTTP

GDog9
Aspirant

SXK80 and BT FTTP

I recently bought an SXK80 with satellite and was under the impression that one could connect it directly to the BT Fibre ONT.

I've tried a few times - powering down the ONT etc. - but the Orbi doesn't seem to be able to get a connection. BT tech support also said it could be directly connected and wouldn't need to advise them of the MAC address.

it works fine using the BT HomeHub as the router, but I was led to believe that this approach can slow things down.

I am getting 900Mbps to the Orbi but best I've got from WiFi is 500Mbps or so.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Adam

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: SXK80 and BT FTTP

@GDog9 wrote:

I recently bought an SXK80 with satellite and was under the impression that one could connect it directly to the BT Fibre ONT.

I've tried a few times - powering down the ONT etc. - but the Orbi doesn't seem to be able to get a connection. BT tech support also said it could be directly connected and wouldn't need to advise them of the MAC address.

There's no VLAN tagging required on your router for OpenReach FTTP.

With FTTC, the VLAN tagging is done by the modem not the router.
The ONT is basically the modem - if any VLAN tagging is done then it is done by the ONT.

The VLAN thing is required for FTTC/VDSL if using your own router directly to the Openreach socket.

With FTTP, you'll connect to the Ethernet socket on the Openreach ONT, so you just need PPPoE (so basically any router).

@GDog9 wrote:

it works fine using the BT HomeHub as the router, but I was led to believe that this approach can slow things down.

I am getting 900Mbps to the Orbi but best I've got from WiFi is 500Mbps or so.

There are that many BT HomeHub devices in the field, impossible to say from here.

Considering - based on the vague details provided - you have a working Internet connection able to provide 900 Mb/s on the SXR80 router. if WiFi coming from that very same device, this could be related to the WiFi client in use, and/or the wireless configuration. Or do we talk of WiFi extended over a wireless backhaul connected SXS80?

Message 2 of 3
GDog9
Aspirant

Re: SXK80 and BT FTTP

Many thanks for your response, and apologies for not updating my question.

Essentially I was trying to do this via the Insight interface, which is why I could see the options for PPPoE and adding the user name and password for my ISP.

Once I accessed it via the regular web interface I found the settings, and now it's running wonderfully directly connected to the ONT.

Thanks again

A

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements