Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SXR80 DDNS with No-IP

SXR80 DDNS with No-IP

Hello,

I'm trying to setup my new SXR80 Orbi router to work with DDNS using my existing No-IP.com account. I only need to fill in 3 fields: hostname, user, and password. I don't know what the hostname is? I have 9 hosts configured in No-IP. These are then routed to a machine on my local network. Is it one of those? Do I do this 9 times? Once for each of the hosts? Can you give me an example of what this might be?

Thank you.

Duane Mitchell

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

To follow up on this here is what's working for me.

There is no need to config DDNS in the router. Do not select the checkbox to us a DDNS service under the Advanced tab-->Advanced setup-->Dynamic DNS. Don't use it at all.

On the machine running the MAMP server

• do not use the Dynamic DNS service. Also, do not set any of the individual hosts to use DDNS.
  • I am running no-ip's DUC which updates the IP address to all my hosts.

I used to have to access websites on my MAMP server from my desktop by using a DDNS hostname setup on no-ip. Though the host machine was on my local network it was a different IP address and afaik that was the only way to access it. The request for a website would go out, find no-ip, and then get routed back to the MAMP server. That worked well for several years. For some reason that stopped working and it was probably due to a software update.

I have installed MAMP's related app NAMO on the MAMP server. This lets me access all hosts from any machine on my local network including phones and tablets.

This has been working and it's a solution I'm happy with. So far.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@duanemitchell wrote:

I only need to fill in 3 fields: hostname, user, and password. I don't know what the hostname is?

The hostname here is the hostname plus the domain name as configured with your No-IP account.

@duanemitchell wrote:

I have 9 hosts configured in No-IP. These are then routed to a machine on my local network. Is it one of those? Do I do this 9 times? Once for each of the hosts? Can you give me an example of what this might be?

Curious what DDNS updater you used before the SRX80. Most routers allow the DDNS configuration for a single host only.

If you need to update more hosts, and you have a machine serving these on your network anyway, I'd suggest to install a DDNS update client like No-IP's Dynamic DNS Update Client (DUC), e.g. DUC Linux (note popular distros have it ready to install from thier repo, e..g by apt-get, DUC Windows, DUC for Mac

Regards,

-Kurt 

Message 2 of 9

Thanks for the reply. Previously I used a Buffalo router with DD-WRT operating system. I entered my No-IP account name and password. That's it. No hostname was needed. Incoming requests were routed to my webserver which is a Mac Mini running MAMP on port 8888. The incoming URL had to have :8888 appended to the end of it to designate the port. All port 8888 traffic was routed to the computer with a fixed DHCP address. It worked well for years. It was awesome.

What I need to do is forward all incoming port 8888 to this machine using no-ip.

@schumaku "The hostname here is the hostname plus the domain name as configured with your No-IP account."

Thanks for that. Just to be clear....I create a host, xyz, with the domain of ddns.net. The hostname is just xyz? The box I entered this into is labeled "Hostname". I suspect that's not true and as you point out I need to add the ddns.net to that. That makes it xyz.ddns.net. And this is what I put into the Hostname field in the router. It doesn't really matter because whether I enter just "xyz" or "xyz.ddns.net" when I click the Apply button and the screen refreshes it says "noip.com". No matter what I do.

Yes, I have the checkbox selected to use a DNS service and I do have "www.no-ip.com" selected in the popup as the service to use.

With that setup I go to the router's Port Forwarding and create a Custom forward using TCP/UDP on port 8888 to send that to the correct machine. I'm stumped as it's always worked well. I'm thinking there's something else going on here.

Message 3 of 9

FYI, in case you aren't familiar with a MAMP setup here's some info. It's the same as XAMP on Windows. Anyway, I've got one machine that is always on that clients can go to and see the work I'm doing. That machine has MAMP installed and running. It's a full webserver running Apache, MySQL, and PHP. It has other services as well. A URL that I might give to a client would look like this: http://xyz.ddns.net:8888. The xyz.ddns.net part comes from no ip. The 8888 part comes from MAMP. That's the port it uses for web services. Not port 80. I can have up 25 different hosts in no-ip.com and I can have that many in MAMP. Once the URL is routed to the correct machine by the router MAMP directs it to the correct website.

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Lets take this into three parts:

1. DDNS registration and update:

@duanemitchell wrote:

Previously I used a Buffalo router with DD-WRT operating system. I entered my No-IP account name and password. That's it. No hostname was needed.

This will do exactly: Nothing. Every DDNS update requires four elements: DDNS-updater-host, DDNS authentication, IP address, and hostname.domain.name

Took me a moment to figure out what is going on there:

Convinced you have configured MAMP, included the DDNS authentication, and MAMP does handle the update for each "hostname".

Don't blame me for the DDNS industry using a "wrong" name scheme for "hostname" - this already happened in early 1990ties by the "original" DynDNS (-> https://help.dyn.com/remote-access-api/perform-update/ ). And Yes, no-ip.com does the same (-> https://www.noip.com/integrate/add-noip)

Unless you need a DDNS name for the router itself, you don't have to configure it on the SRX80 router. For your MAMP servers, MAMP does it correct. And it will continue to work as expected here. DDNS does just handle the the IP address.

2. DDNS config on the SXR80

Afraiid I have to skip this here. I would expect if you create a new  host on No-IP "just" for the Orbi, name it like sxr80-1234.ddns.net, and I would expect that the router does accept this config. If not, please either open a support ticket with Netgear via my.netgear.com or create a new dedicated thread here.

3. IP vs, Port and Port Forwarding

@duanemitchell wrote:

... Incoming requests were routed to my webserver which is a Mac Mini running MAMP on port 8888. The incoming URL had to have :8888 appended to the end of it to designate the port. All port 8888 traffic was routed to the computer with a fixed DHCP address.

What I need to do is forward all incoming port 8888 to this machine using no-ip.

With that setup I go to the router's Port Forwarding and create a Custom forward using TCP/UDP on port 8888 to send that to the correct machine.

DDNS does resolve the FQHN (fully qualified hostname) to the pubic IP address - on your router WAN/Internet port.

On the WAN/Internet port, you can add one or multiple ports or port ranges to be "forwarded" though the NAT to the LAN where your server(s) reside MAMP hosted in your case. Do't forget to fix the MAMP host LAN IP, by reserving the MAC-Address to the LAN-IP on the router (strongly suggested), even if you decie to fix the MAMP host LAN IP. 

For normal http or https (whatever you are using), only TCP forwarding is required. In case your MAMP does support QUIC, forwarding UDP is required, too.

@duanemitchell wrote:

With that setup I go to the router's Port Forwarding and create a Custom forward using TCP/UDP on port 8888 to send that to the correct machine. I'm stumped as it's always worked well. I'm thinking there's something else going on here.

Agree. Is  this MAMP host on the first Orbi Pro 6 network, the correct IP subnet, on a fixed IP address in that IP subnet?

Message 5 of 9

@schumaku Thanks for hanging in there with me on this. I appreciate it very much. I think it's possible there's something unusual going on outside the obvious. If I use a VPN on my desktop Mac I can reach the server. So the router thinks I'm coming in from outside. Also, I just tried with an older laptop and that appears to work.This may have something to do with having updated to the latest macOS. Of course I can go onto the server itself and access the site.

@schumaku"Every DDNS update requires four elements: DDNS-updater-host, DDNS authentication, IP address, and hostname.domain.name"

Let me make sure I have this correct. The DDNS authentication would be my account credentials at no-ip? The IP address would be my public IP address assigned by my ISP through DHCP (hence the need for no-ip service). The hostname.domain.name would be the "Hostname" created in no-ip? Not sure about the "DDNS-updater-host"? I do have no-ip's DUC running and it is working. My correct public IP is listed for my hostnames created in no-ip.

@schumaku"

2. DDNS config on the SXR80

Afraiid I have to skip this here. I would expect if you create a new  host on No-IP "just" for the Orbi, name it like sxr80-1234.ddns.net, and I would expect that the router does accept this config. If not, please either open a support ticket with Netgear via my.netgear.com or create a new dedicated thread here."

Ah...interesting. I'll do the first and if that doesn't work I'll open the support ticket.

I'm afraid I have some things to do this evening but I'll come back to this later.

Duane Mitchell

Message 6 of 9

I heard from no-ip support and was instructed NOT to config DDNS on the router. Instead use their Dynamic Update Client (DUC). This runs in the background and can update all my no-ip hosts while the router only updates one.

Now DDNS is turned off in the router. That makes sense because a URL comes in with the 8888 port and all the router needs to do is rout that to the correct machine. It's handled from there. That's how it's worked for a few years now. Not sure what happened because I'm still experiencing some issues though I'm getting it narrowed down. For some reason I cannot access a no-ip host from within my local network. I always could. My server is on one machine and I try to hit a website on it using a no-ip host. The request goes out to no-ip and directs it back in and it gets routed to the webserver.  Not working like that anymore but it does work if I use a VPN so it thinks its coming from a completely different part of the world.

Thanks again.

Duane Mitchell

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@duanemitchell wrote:

I heard from no-ip support and was instructed NOT to config DDNS on the router. Instead use their Dynamic Update Client (DUC). This runs in the background and can update all my no-ip hosts while the router only updates one.

For some reason I cannot access a no-ip host from within my local network. I always could. My server is on one machine and I try to hit a website on it using a no-ip host. The request goes out to no-ip and directs it back in and it gets routed to the webserver.  Not working like that anymore but it does work if I use a VPN so it thinks its coming from a completely different part of the world.

For your use case with the multiple services on the MAMP host, no doubts. To me it looks like MAMP does include the DUC as a component anyway, thus I had put up that hint before already.

If you operate a VPN server on your router for accessing your home network from remote, the DDNS update with a dedicated hostname from the router is very appropriate.

Note: The fact MAMP does default to the port 8888/TCP instead of 443/TCP for https (resp. 80/TCP for http in case) is just a K.I.S.S. solution to avoid problems with routers and ISPs not allowing to use that port, and to avoid possible other services on the MAMP host are fighting for the standard ports. This and the port forwarding to 8888/TCP instead is unrelated to the DDNS name resolution and update part.

@duanemitchell wrote:

For some reason I cannot access a no-ip host from within my local network. I always could. My server is on one machine and I try to hit a website on it using a no-ip host.

This reads to me like the Orbi Pro 6 AX system has a problem with the NAT loopback. @BruceGuo please, your business.

@duanemitchell wrote:

The request goes out to no-ip and directs it back in and it gets routed to the webserver.  Not working like that anymore but it does work if I use a VPN so it thinks its coming from a completely different part of the world.

I don't think you are using a Web redirection on No-IP. Much more No-IP "just" serves the yourwww.domain.whatever host A DNS query and points to the router WAN IP address, from where the port requested by the client is forwarded. If you are acessing your MAMP hosted server from "out-there" but you can't from the LAN (with that same name resolving to the public IP) it's the NAT loopback issue. Covinced Netgear will look into this.

Just for the curiosity, is the MAMP host connected to the SXR80 router, a VLAN physically connected and configured to the SXR80, or is it probably connected to an SXS80 satellite?

So, I think we have rolled out the carpet with all possible causes. That's all I can do from here as just yet another community member for now. 

Wish you a wonderful time!

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 8 of 9

To follow up on this here is what's working for me.

There is no need to config DDNS in the router. Do not select the checkbox to us a DDNS service under the Advanced tab-->Advanced setup-->Dynamic DNS. Don't use it at all.

On the machine running the MAMP server

• do not use the Dynamic DNS service. Also, do not set any of the individual hosts to use DDNS.
  • I am running no-ip's DUC which updates the IP address to all my hosts.

I used to have to access websites on my MAMP server from my desktop by using a DDNS hostname setup on no-ip. Though the host machine was on my local network it was a different IP address and afaik that was the only way to access it. The request for a website would go out, find no-ip, and then get routed back to the MAMP server. That worked well for several years. For some reason that stopped working and it was probably due to a software update.

I have installed MAMP's related app NAMO on the MAMP server. This lets me access all hosts from any machine on my local network including phones and tablets.

This has been working and it's a solution I'm happy with. So far.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements