Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to login to my new SXR80 Orbi Access Point

DaleDurnell
Aspirant

Unable to login to my new SXR80 Orbi Access Point

Until recently, I had a 4.58mbps DSL internet service. I tried to milk it for all it was worth with an RBR-750 with 2 satellites. Only rarely did I ever get both satellites to connect to the router.

• A couple weeks ago, I entered the 21st c. when a local company installed and provided 1gb Fiber Optic System. Here is what I have in my home network.
  • The fiber connects to an Ubiquiti Fiber-to-Ethernet Modem.
  • Using a Cat6 cable, I come out of the Ubiquiti Modem and into the Internet port on the back of my Nighthawk RAX80
  • Using Cat6 cables, I come out of my RAX80, into two managed Cisco switches.
  • From the Cisco boxes, I have a distribution panel mounted on the wall where the internet signal is sent throughout my house.
    • That provides hard wired connections to an 11th gen i9 and a 12th gen i7 desktop, a Samsung Television, and an HP Color Office Jet Laser Printer
  • However, I have a fair sized, single family dwelling and I want to have Wi-fi in all the corners, nooks, and crannies
  • I replaced my older RBR-750 and two satellites with a new(er) SXR80 (with one satellite).
    • I took a Cat 6 cable from a wall jack in my home office and plugged it into the back of the SXR80. 
    • I set up the SXS80 (satellite) in my master bedroom. 
    • Initially, I setup the SXR80 as a Router and created a second home network (I didn't realize they could be used as an Access Point) - and it worked well. However, comma, I really could not justify having two networks, and I felt that I was defeating the purpose of an Access Point.
    • I tried to just leave my inital settings alone and told the SXR80 that I wanted it to be an Access Point rather than a Router. That was the beginning of my current dilemma. The static and dynamic address issue caused the Orbi's not to work (in either mode). 
    • I did a complete factory reset on both the Orbi Router and the Orbi Satellite.
    • I anticipated I could go in and manually setup the Orbi as an Access Point. 
    • However, the Orbi was even smarter than I was and once I reconnected the factory reset Orbi units to my home network they immediately created themselves as access points. 
  • My problem is multi layered:
    • I can no longer login to Orbilogin dot com or dot net.
      • I just get a webpage that says I can either use the app (which doesn't work because I've read that the Orbi App isn't compatible with my Orbi-68), or
      • I follow the steps which says to use the Orbilogin.net address (which just brings me right back where I'm at)
    • Attempts to login with the 192.168.1.0 or .1 URLs connect me to my Nighthawk RAX80.
    • Although the Orbi app says it is not compatible with Orbi-68, it does try and provide a work around (it ain't pretty). It seems to think it is still looking at my older Orbi-64 not my new Orbi-68.
    • I found a Netgear Wifi Analytics app which says it's obsolete, but at least it too seems to want to work. It too says it's connected to ORBI64 (no, it's not, because my ORBI64 is completely powered down and disconnected.
    • I found "Insight" quite by accident, and it seems to want to talk to my Orbi-68. It shows it as an Access Point. But, there doesn't seem to be any way to change the password for the Orbi unit through Insight. 

My Android can, and has, logged on to my home WiFi using either the normal login on my RAX80, or what shows up as ORBI64.

I my wife's Android is connected to the RAX80.

• I'm not convinced she's using the Access Point capability we have at the house. And,
  • I can't connect her phone to the ORBI64 net which also shows up on her phone.

Do I just ignore all this mess and assume it's working?? Not very professional, nor a satisfying answer on my own part.

Do I blow the whole thing away and start from scratch setting up the RAX80 and the ORBI-68?

How do I get this ORBI-64 identifier to just disappear and go away (it's hanging on like a bad penny).

And I guess, the bottom line also comes down to "How do I login to my Orbi-68 (SXR-80) system?? All of the kb and recommendations from Netgear are failing me.

Many thanks, in advance, And, sorry for being so long winded

Dale (KF8DLD)

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Unable to login to my new SXR80 Orbi Access Point

@DaleDurnell,

Welcome to the community!

Since the SXR80 was set to AP mode, what will happen is that the SXR80 will get an IP address from your RAX80 and so what you can do is go to the "Attached Devices" page of the RAX80 to check the IP address of the SXR80.

You should be able to see its IP address on the list of the Attached Devices via the SXR80's MAC address and access the SXR80's admin page that way.

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@DaleDurnell,

Welcome to the community!

Since the SXR80 was set to AP mode, what will happen is that the SXR80 will get an IP address from your RAX80 and so what you can do is go to the "Attached Devices" page of the RAX80 to check the IP address of the SXR80.

You should be able to see its IP address on the list of the Attached Devices via the SXR80's MAC address and access the SXR80's admin page that way.

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
DaleDurnell
Aspirant

Thanks ever so much -- I'll give that a shot this afternoon -- but, it certainly makes sense

Dale

Message 3 of 4
DaleDurnell
Aspirant

I got there!! Woopee! 

I found the IP address (192.168.1.10) . Of course, I had to guess at the password since even though I had done a "reset" it didn't take and was hanging on to a password I set somewhere along the way.

With the proper IP, got seemlessly got into my Orbi Pro browser page. And, once there, it was a piece of cake. Guess I'm getting old -- never even thought about logging into the IP for the SXR80. But, once I got in, it was simple to make the changes and sync my SXS80 so that my home network now has a Nighthawk, plus an Orbi with one satellite -- one heck of a seemless network for the home front.

Thanks again!

Dale

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements