× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLANS and SXR80 Pros (Newbie Ask)

semantical
Aspirant

VLANS and SXR80 Pros (Newbie Ask)

Hi there

I've gone and bought an Orbi Pro wifi 6 (SXR80) router for our new home primarily as we found the mesh function really solid at work. But my networking skill is, apparently, very aged and I'm in all sorts of a muddle. Can anyone offer advice?

The plan was to have multiple VLANS to separate out stuff as I work from home and wanted a little more security from say the kids devices or the myriad of IOT that has been purchased.

My initial thoughts were:

• VLAN1 (default) - stick the kids on here

• VLAN20 (work) - stick my work kit on here

• VLAN30 (IOT) - obviously

• VLAN40 (Guest) - kid's friends and family guests for Internet

What I was hoping to achieve was...

• VLAN1 can see Internet, VLAN1 (self) & VLAN30

• VLAN20 can see Internet, VLAN1, VLAN20 (self) & VLAN30

• VLAN30 can see VLAN30 (self) and N-S only to Internet

• VLAN40 is N-S only to Internet

But then I hit the whole client and network separation and trunk bridges and my aged skills fall apart.

Can anyone tell me:

1. is my VLAN setup above doable?

2. any pointers to a walkthrough somewhere online?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: VLANS and SXR80 Pros (Newbie Ask)

I would have thought the default VLAN setup by Netgear would be better:

VLAN1 - Administrator (you) has your special business stuff and can access the entire network.

VLAN20 - Kids. None of their stuff can get at you.

VLAN30 - IoT

VLAN40 - Guests

Message 2 of 4
semantical
Aspirant

Ok so change "Employee" to "Kids" simples.

Can Kids then see IoT?   I really want to stick things like Sonos and AppleTV onto IoT but (and much as I'd love the kids to not take over the house) it seems fair to let them at things on there.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

over my head.... but my guess is that things the kids need direct access* to need to be in their VLAN.

*Access through "the cloud" is different.  My Wyze app, for example, can view cameras and turn smart plugs on/off when I am not even connected to the system (remote). Same for other IoT apps.  Knowledge of AppleTV and Sonos... zero.  (I tell the speaker "Alexa.. play radio" and have no idea what network that speaker is on.)

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7