Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2nd hand Orbi from Amazon - unable to connect

MP123098
Tutor

2nd hand Orbi from Amazon - unable to connect

Hello all,

I brought a second hand Orbi from Amazon and I can’t get it to connect. I take it through the set up stages and keep getting a message it cannot connect. I have followed instructions from here in clouding the reset. When it first arrived it had a someone’s wifi name on it. The reset removed the name attached during one of the attempts to set it up it showed as a device, using an android phone, but still couldn’t get it to connect to wifi. Using my apple phone I cannot make it very far.

NETGEAR will not answer my emails. This is for my home, but I also have a contact centre that I was going to use their products, this service is making me change my mind.

Any help is appreciated.
Message 1 of 11
MP123098
Tutor

Re: 2nd hand Orbi from Amazon - unable to connect

The product is a rbk852
Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Use a wired PC and web browser to setup the RBR. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 3 of 11
MP123098
Tutor

Thanks furrye38!

I have added comments and more questions below to your questions.

Use a wired PC and web browser to setup the RBR. - I did try, but even with the Orbi connected to my Virgin router via a cat 7 Ethernet and the laptop to Orbi, there was no internet. Connecting to my internet provider I had connection but couldn’t connect to the 192…. Address suggested in previous forum. Which connection should it be? Orbi or my provider.

What Firmware version is currently loaded? No idea I haven’t been able to make it far enough to check this.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Virgin media - hub 4

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update? Yes this done each time, but no software update requested from the Orbi. Should it be?

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.
Yes this has been followed

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release.
Yes I have tried this. At first the light would only go red, but after a few times I had it going orange and flashing orange before it went red then green. Is that what is expected?

Thanks again
Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

WIth the RBR disconnected from the modem and after a factory reset, are you able to access the RBRs setup web page at 192.168.1.1 at all? 

FYI your ISP modem has a built in router. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-...

Try option #2 first...

Message 5 of 11
MP123098
Tutor

This is great - thank you. I will try these options this week.
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 7 of 11
MP123098
Tutor

Hello quick update.

I could not connect directly to the Orbi following the below.
WIth the RBR disconnected from the modem and after a factory reset, are you able to access the RBRs setup web page at 192.168.1.1

Would this suggest there is one thing wrong with the router? The light just kept flashing.

I tried sett it as a modem only, but plugging the Orbi in, it didn’t offer any internet. I will speak with my provider the morning.

I wanted to get your thoughts before I speak with them.

Thanks again
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes if you can't access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 after a factory reset, send this system back to Amazon and let them now that this system needs to be returned to NG. 

Message 9 of 11
MP123098
Tutor

Thanks. It’s good to know I am not crazy
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

😉

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors