Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5GHz channels question

donawalt
Virtuoso

5GHz channels question

Question - why does the Orbi router (mine is a 960) only allow config settings for the 5 GHz channel of 36-40-44-48? is there some valid technical reason why Netgear limits the channels on 5GHz? I see channels 100-177 on my signal detector from other houses. Somebody in the neighborhood has an ARRIS doing 149-165, I think an eero is 100-106, and Xfinity's box is 149+ as well? I don't really have any issues with 5 GHz performance that I am aware of, but 36-50 is really saturated around here I would love to get out of that range...

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: 5GHz channels question

I believe since these are MESH systems, complexity of MESH, and probably chip set design or specs, 5ghz front haul is kept to the lower 5Ghz channels. I think that in part, some of NG wants the other channels for the wireless backhaul and it handles that automatically. DFS channels are not supported in all regions as well and for USA, has to be avoided for the most part due to the Airport location and governance and policy regarding Airport radar. For crowded channels, one can reduced the transmit power on the system and reduce the Wi-Fi foot print to help lesson any external Wi-Fi signal interferences.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7