Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX4200 WiFi Mesh System (CBK752) Is it good to use?

TheViking309
Aspirant

AX4200 WiFi Mesh System (CBK752) Is it good to use?

I'm looking to replace my Spectrum modem and router.  I'm wondering if it's a good idea to use the Orbi Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System with Built-in Cable Modem, 4.2Gbps, Modem Router Combo + 1 Satellite (AX4200 WiFi Mesh System (CBK752)).  We have 1gb speeds, and the current router doesn't seem to be strong enough.  Also how does it work?  Does the satellite one act as an extender?

Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: AX4200 WiFi Mesh System (CBK752) Is it good to use?

Yes, the satellite is an improvement over traditional WiFi extenders.

• It expands the WiFi coverage area (as an Extender does)
  • It uses a separate 5G WiFi channel to connect with the router, which reduces the load on the primary user-facing 5G WiFi channel.
  • It uses IEEE standard protocols to allow mobile devices to roam seamlessly between the router and the satellite.

These "mesh systems" were developed by most WiFi vendors in the past 6-8 years as a better solution for mobile devices.

Just personally, I am reluctant to invest in a WiFi solution with an integrated cable modem.  What happens when fiber comes to the neighborhood?

Does Spectrum provide phone service?  If so, only a Spectrum cable modem will do that.  The Orbi able modem will not.

Message 2 of 13
TheViking309
Aspirant

Yes they do, but fiberoptic is not available in my area.  I do have a phone but I use it as a fax, that I don't use very often.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Personally would avoid the CBR series. No sure how long NG is going to support it and it's not seen the new v7 FW update that the cousin RBK series has. I would recommend getting into a separate ISP cable modem and separate RBK752 series system to connect to it. Ask your ISP if any of the NG CM series model modems are supported by them. Or if they have a modem only option they can install for you. 

Message 4 of 13
TheViking309
Aspirant

My ISP does have a modem and their own router?  The issue is that the equipment sucks.  My internet does in and out.  I pay for 1gb internet, and with their stuff I'm lucky to get half.  Everyone says that its better to not use their equipment.  I'm willing to go to the next gen if needed.  I only need two due to the ammout of walls that interfere with the signal strength.

Message 5 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Because I have phone service from Spectrum, they have to provide me with a modem at no charge. (I pay them more than enough as it is!)  This is "plain modem" (no router capability).  A DOCSIS 3.1 modem from Spectrum should provide the same speed as the DOCSIS 3.1 modem included in the Netgear router, with the added advantage that Spectrum will be 100% responsible for the performance.  No claiming, "It's your Netgear modem..."

Message 6 of 13
TheViking309
Aspirant

They charge me five or tem a month for their equipment.  I get new equipment every year, and I still have all the same issues with my internet.  I have the EN2251 modem, and the SAX1V1S for the router.  I've called numerous times for the speed and lag issues I have.  When I'm hard wired in router and it takes several minutes to load Google, with 1gb speeds, and a gaming PC there's an issue.  Even with getting new equipment it still happens.  They say they will send a tech, but they won't find anything because I live in an apartment complex.  I'd they fif find something it wouldn't be on my end, and they'd have to update their cables or something.  The complex won't pay for that so I need to find a better solution.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe Spectrum supports some model NG CM series modems. Check there supported modem list and see if any of the CM1000, 1100, 1200, 2000 are supported. 

There also maybe ISP signal line issues up to there modem and they should be checking this as this is there side of the fence they have to maintain. 

The following is what we post to users with problems with NG modems on ISP services and though may not apply to some, most cases some of this could be helpful:

Any Criticals, Errors or Warnings seen in the event logs needs to be reviewed and resolved by the ISP. Indicates a signal issue on the ISP line up to the modem.

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html
https://highspeed.tips/docsis-events/

Good Luck.

Message 8 of 13
TheViking309
Aspirant

All equipment used for my internet is provided by my ISP.  I guess I'll just have to have them check the line.  I don't have any splitters or anything, Just one cable going from the wall coax to the modem.  I'll have to look into the LAN cable as again it is the one provided by the ISP.  Thank you for all the help.  I greatly appreciate it.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@TheViking309 wrote:

I don't have any splitters or anything, Just one cable going from the wall coax to the modem.

It is unusual for a residential dwelling to have zero splitters.  Typically, cable lines run from the drop (mine is on a pole in the back yard) to the house, where a splitter is used to run cables to locations in the house where the customer wanted to locate television sets.  There is often a separate coax cable to the location of the data modem.

I even have a splitter where the Tivo box requires a Tuning Adapter to manage switched digital video channels.

The phone issue remains.  Ditch Spectrum phone, and you have more options (and more responsibility).

Message 11 of 13
TheViking309
Aspirant

I meant I don't have splitters from the wall to my modem.  I don't know about anywhere else.  I do plan on getting rid og the phone line.  Just have to figure out the best solution for thr modem and router.  I wish I could just ditch Spectrum completely, but they are the only ones to provide good internet speeds for what I need.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you get. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7