Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

After power outage, Can't connect to Wifi unless I change the internal IP address.

thelopi
Aspirant

After power outage, Can't connect to Wifi unless I change the internal IP address.

I just set up an Orbi 963 with 2 satellites.  For some reason, it would not let me use my old router's SSID so I had to change to a new SSID and reconnect my 90+ devices.  Frustrating but worth it for the added speed.  As soon as I turned on the guest network, I lost the ability to connect to the main SSID.  I could connect to the Guest network but my devices were unable to connect.  I found that by changing from 192.168.1.1 to 10.0.0.1 and higher, I was able to allow a Guest Network but, we had 2 power failures in 2 consecutive days due to weather.  Both times, I was unable to connect to WIFI through the main but was able to through Guest.  The only resolution was to change the internal IP address.  I have the latest Firmware on all the devices. I have a Motorola MB8611 3.1 multi gig cable modem using comcast, a TP-Link ER7206 Multi-Wan Gigabite VPN router to allow for Dual Wan setup since the Orbi does not have a dual wan connection.  The 2nd Wan is Mofi4500 connected to ATT and StarLink.  The Mofi IP is 192.168.3.1, the Starling is 192.168.1.1, the TP-Link is 192.168.0.1.  My orbit is now 10.20.30.1 or variations thereof.  I bought a UPS so that would limit disruptions from power outages but, this is a very unstable system.  Any takers?  I had the same problems with the original unit and called tech support.  After 1 hour of trouble shooting, they told me it was the unit.  I sent it back and ordered a new one.  Same problem.  It works unless, see above.

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: After power outage, Can't connect to Wifi unless I change the internal IP address.

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@thelopi wrote:
OMG! After weeks of trial and error, I found the problem. It was the Motorola Router that needed to be factory reset. Now, my TriWAN system is up and running. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I learned a lot. Most importantly the power of a factory reset.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16

All Replies

Re: After power outage, Can't connect to Wifi unless I change the internal IP address.

@thelopi wrote:

I have the latest Firmware on all the devices. I have a Motorola MB8611 3.1 multi gig cable modem using comcast, a TP-Link ER7206 Multi-Wan Gigabite VPN router to allow for Dual Wan setup since the Orbi does not have a dual wan connection. 

A few clues in that long that slab of uninterrupted text. (I have a poor attention span.)

You have two routers. The TP-Link ER7206, alongside an unknown (to us) Orbi device? Orbi 963 isn't a model number that I can find.

Is the Orbi in wireless access point (AP) mode?

If not, two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

I believe the product may be this one:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBKE963.aspx 

Agree that a more typical configuration would be to put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode so that the TP-Link handles all IP assignments in addition to managing the two Wide Area Networks (Comcast and ATT/Starlink?)

I can think of no reason why the Orbi WiFi could not have whatever SSID the user wants it to have.  (Seriously, there is nothing to stop a person from setting up a dozen WiFi systems all using the same SSID/password.  Would be a tangled mess in terms of figuring out which system each WiFi device would decide to connect to, but that would simply be a consequence of doing something goofy.)

There are often issues when enabling Guest (and what about IoT?) WiFi SSIDs when the Orbi is in AP mode.  In earlier Orbi products, AP mode disabled DHCP on the router, which simply passed all DHCP requests up to the primary router (In this case the TP-Link).  The 960 product is relatively new, and I have no personal knowledge of "what happens" when it is in AP mode.

I have fantasized about having redundant (multi-WAN) internet, and this post illustrates how complicated it might become.

In addition to the TP-Link and Orbi routers, I wonder what equipment is handling the Comcast and (Starlink - or Starling?) WAN connections.  Are they also routers?

Message 3 of 16
thelopi
Aspirant

Thanks CrimpOn, You have given me some good ideas to try this weekend.  It is up and running now but I'd sure like to find the kink in the system.  Yes, having a multi-Wan System with redundant back-up,(Cable followed by Cellular followed by Satellite) is essential when running a fire suppression system for my home in California.  I need to be able to control everything from afar.  When the power goes out, Comcast goes out.  If the cell tower generator runs out of fuel like it did 2 years ago, we are SOL.  If the satellites fall out of the sky, we have bigger problems than a fire near my home.  

Message 4 of 16
thelopi
Aspirant

You are correct I have the RBKE963. I connected the Orbi directly to the comcast gateway. If I reboot Orbi, I lose the ability to connect to Wi-Fi. The only solution is to change the internal up address. Then it will allow all of the devices to connect. If I try to make any changes, I lose Wi-Fi connectivity. I can access the internet with a lab wired computer but lose wifi
Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try option #2 first...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 6 of 16
thelopi
Aspirant

The firmware is up to date. V6.0.3.85. I purchased a modem without Wi-Fi, Motorola MB8611, and it’s in bridge mode. The Orbi is running as a router. The square footage is apparently 4000sq/ ft but the property is 1.5 acres with a detached garage that has one of the satellites. The distance of the satellites are approximately 60 and 90 feet from the main. I’ve reduced the power to 50% but I lost contact with some devices. The RBKE963 indicates good connections on both satellites at 100%. If I move a satellite father out, the connection is weaker. I’ve tried the setup with and without satellites and same problem. Tell me more about AP mode vs Router.
Message 7 of 16

@thelopi wrote:
The firmware is up to date. V6.0.3.85. I purchased a modem without Wi-Fi, Motorola MB8611, and it’s in bridge mode.

Not really. There is nothing in that device to "bridge". It is a modem without router features. It shoudn't need any tweaking to work with your routers.

So far no one has mention the "2nd Wan", the Mofi4500.

This means that you have already two routers on the network. A good way of creating confusion. Adding yet another Orbi router is only going to pile on the chaos.

It is hard to follow the layout of your network.

You have the TP-Link ER7206, the Mofi4500 and the Orbi 963 somewhere in that mix.

This isn't a typical topography that crops up here.

Tell me more about AP mode vs Router.

AP turns a router into a wireless access point. (Look it up.) This means that the AP does not try to manage the traffic on your network. It leaves it to the main router in the network.

With your complex network, I am surprised that you didn't try it when it was first mentioned, in the reply to tour first message. @CrimpOn,  who also commented on the complexity of your network, endorsed that advice in the second reply to your message.

Any reason why you did not investigate AP mode on your Orbi devices? It is a common strategy for people who do not like the limited controllability of some Orbi devices, some of which do not support things like Armor and parental controls.

My experience is that it works fine with a series of satellites.

The distance of the satellites are approximately 60 and 90 feet from the main.

That might be pushing the wifi but if you got it to connect, fine. Turning down the power isn't going to help, quite the opposite.

Message 8 of 16
thelopi
Aspirant

Thanks. I just read about AP mode and will try that when I can bring the system down for a few hours. I was sure that it was an IP address issue involving the MOFI and Starlink so I took them out of the equation by turning them off and connecting the Orbi directly to the Motorola router. Still the same problem. I have turned off the Motorola a number of times but haven’t factory reset. Something is remembering the past IP address that I have used as I can’t reuse one once it has been ‘corrupted’.
Message 9 of 16

@thelopi wrote:
I just read about AP mode and will try that when I can bring the system down for a few hours.

It may work without a complete network reboot.

The only warning is this:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But your other routers should handle everything that matters.

Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You can't use AP mode with your MB8611. That's a modem only. 

Something you might try on the RBR. Use a wired PC and Re-load the fw file onto the RBR. After the RBR has processed the file and back to ready, use the ERASE function under Advanced tab/Admin/Backup and this will factory reset the RBR. Setup the RBR from scratch using same SSID names for the main Wireless. Don't enable IoT or the separate 6Ghz radio. 

Set the default DHCP IP address pool range to .100 thru .200. Save and apply and let the RBR reboot. 

After the RBR reboots, turn ON the RBS. They should reconnect with out having to re-sync them I believe. 

Also can you remove the 2nd WAN ISP service to see if the RBR works with the MB8611 alone to see if problem continues? 

@thelopi wrote:
Thanks. I just read about AP mode and will try that when I can bring the system down for a few hours. I was sure that it was an IP address issue involving the MOFI and Starlink so I took them out of the equation by turning them off and connecting the Orbi directly to the Motorola router. Still the same problem. I have turned off the Motorola a number of times but haven’t factory reset. Something is remembering the past IP address that I have used as I can’t reuse one once it has been ‘corrupted’.

Message 11 of 16
thelopi
Aspirant

True @ Furrye38, that is part of the reason I haven’t tried AP mode as when I remove the
TP-Link ER7206 | Multi-WAN router, I still have the problem. I’m going to factory reset the Motorola MB8611 to see if the problem clears. I just can’t help but think that, now that if done troubleshooting back flips, it may be the root of the problem.

Interestingly, this system worked well without difficulties when I used the ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 Tri-Band Mesh. Although that is a dual wan system and didn’t need the ER7206. For that, the MOFI is dual wan which I added Starlink using failover mode then the lan from the MOFI went to the dual wan of the ASUS again using failover. It worked without glitches.
Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try the Orbi system with out any dual WAN devices and just connect it to the primary ISP Modem. Try and simulate a power outage then see if the RBR continues to experience this issue. The RBR should be able to connect to the ISP modem and provide ISP services for wired and wireless devices. let us know the results of what you find here. 

Be sure your using good quality LAN cable between the RBR and ISP modem. CAT6 is recommended. 

Distance between the modem and router should be around 6 feet apart. 

@thelopi wrote:
True @ Furrye38, that is part of the reason I haven’t tried AP mode as when I remove the
TP-Link ER7206 | Multi-WAN router, I still have the problem. I’m going to factory reset the Motorola MB8611 to see if the problem clears. I just can’t help but think that, now that if done troubleshooting back flips, it may be the root of the problem.

Interestingly, this system worked well without difficulties when I used the ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 Tri-Band Mesh. Although that is a dual wan system and didn’t need the ER7206. For that, the MOFI is dual wan which I added Starlink using failover mode then the lan from the MOFI went to the dual wan of the ASUS again using failover. It worked without glitches.

Message 13 of 16
thelopi
Aspirant

OMG! After weeks of trial and error, I found the problem. It was the Motorola Router that needed to be factory reset. Now, my TriWAN system is up and running. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I learned a lot. Most importantly the power of a factory reset.
Message 14 of 16

@thelopi wrote:

That figures. A complicated network like yours depends on every device cooperating with each other. They take their settings from each other. While a sequential reboot can fix this there are, as you say, you have to resort to the power of a factory reset.

Good to hear that this learning experience delivered the right result.

Out of interest, did you end up with the Orbi in AP mode? Or did something else work?

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@thelopi wrote:

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7