Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Allowing the Orbi RBR875 to serve as a VPN client with VPN by GoogleOne as a VPN server

AlexGerwer
Aspirant

Allowing the Orbi RBR875 to serve as a VPN client with VPN by GoogleOne as a VPN server

Per the attachments, I have been trying to get the information necessary to configure the VPN capability of my Orbi RBR875 router to work as a client with VPN by Google One.  Among other things, I have been trying to find a configuration file for VPN by Google One that can be used in setting up the Orbi RBR875 router as a VPN client.  As you can see, I have been trying to get through to the folks here at Netgear as well as people at Google, but to no avail.  Perhaps someone on here can help.

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Allowing the Orbi RBR875 to serve as a VPN client with VPN by GoogleOne as a VPN server

Alas, there is no RBR875.  Perhaps this is typo of RBR850?

Netgear's WiFi routers do not support VPN Client mode, in which all devices connected to the router are directed to a VPN tunnel rather than to the internet. There is third party firmware for the very first WiFi5 Orbi (RBR50) that includes two  VPN client software packages (OpenVPN and Wireguard).  Voxel has only the RBR50 and has not developed firmware for any other model.

Netgear routers include OpenVPN Host mode to allow users to VPN into the router from the internet.

So, there is nothing to configure.  This feature is not supported.

Sorry.

Message 2 of 4
AlexGerwer
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your reply.  Given what you have written, could the following architecture work:

Modem <--> Beryl AX 3000 (a GL-iNet product) <--> Orbi RBR850

where the Beryl AX 3000 is a client to the VPN by GoogleOne server?  If so, how would I get the configuration file from Google that would be used to configure the Beryl AX3000 to connect to the VPN by Google One server?

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Fascinating concept.  Alas, I do not see GoogleOne in the list of compatible VPN services:

CrimpOn_0-1705798517082.png

GoogleOne VPN appears to be available for these platforms:

CrimpOn_1-1705798907755.png

Beryl AX3000 runs OpenWRT, which uses Linux.   (Netgear Orbi is also built on OpenWRT, but is "locked" and customers cannot add software.  It appears that perhaps Beryl AX3000 provides methods for customers to add software:

CrimpOn_2-1705799113960.png

I cannot find a list of the 5,000 "plug-ins" that are available.  Perhaps the company would provide a reference to an on-line directory? https://www.gl-inet.com/contacts/ 

My impression is that this product will meet 90% of the requirements if one of the supported VPN services is used (OpenVPN based or Wireguard based.  (Note the prominent statement that VPN has limited bandwidth.)

Because OpenWRT is a router, connecting the Orbi 850 router to it will result in a "Double NAT".  (Internet search will document the potential implications for specific applications.)  If Double NAT affects your particular usage, then putting the Orbi router into Access Point (AP) mode is the recommended solution  This eliminates all of the Orbi "router functions" such as Access Control, Armor, Parental Controls, etc. etc.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-... 

It is not obvious to me that funneling every device in the house through a VPN connection is all that useful.  OK, suppose the evil CIA (or whoever) knows that I have Belkin smart plug connected to the Belkin "cloud". So what?  If my smart phone is connected via APN they can never figure out what device is controlling the smart plug.

My guess is that protecting things like computers, laptops, tablets, and smart phones would be "good enough".  (But that's just me.)  Load GoogleOne VPN on the devices that do stuff.  They will be protected at home and also everywhere.  Running a VPN client on the home router does no good when the laptop is at Starbucks or the Library.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7