Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Amazon Fire TV 4k Max (Wifi 6)

djlynnwood
Follower

Amazon Fire TV 4k Max (Wifi 6)

My unit (RBRE960) with 6g network enabled, is not seen in the network menu on my brand new Amazon Fire TV 4k Max - which is advertised as a Wifi 6 device.

Netgear says the unit is compatible, Amazon says they don't know.

I don't have another wifi 6 device yet so I am not sure if the Orbi system is defective or the Fire TV is incompatible.  I send the first one back, and the replacement unit still does not see the 6g network.

Anyone else having this issue?  If so, did you solve?

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Amazon Fire TV 4k Max (Wifi 6)

@djlynnwood wrote:

My unit (RBRE960) with 6g network enabled, is not seen in the network menu on my brand new Amazon Fire TV 4k Max - which is advertised as a Wifi 6 device.

You're confusing wi-fi 6 (which is still 5Ghz) and wi-fi 6e (which uses 6Ghz and the separate radio in your RBRE960).  The FireTV 4K Max is only wi-fi 6 and still uses 5Ghz.  From it's Amazon product page: "Supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax (Wi-Fi 6) networks."

From https://www.tomsguide.com/face-off/wi-fi-6-vs-wi-fi-6e-whats-the-difference:

1.  Wi-Fi 6 can send and receive data over both the 2.4- and 5-gigahertz (GHz) bands (Wi-Fi 5 is 5-GHz only) and can move even more data by running a single ultra-wide 160-megahertz (MHz) channel on its 5-GHz band.
  2. Wi-Fi 6e added more than a gigahertz of fresh electromagnetic spectrum space in the U.S., ranging from 5.925 GHz to 7.125 GHz... This additional block of spectrum, generally referred as the 6-GHz band

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Amazon Fire TV 4k Max (Wifi 6)

@djlynnwood wrote:

You're confusing wi-fi 6 (which is still 5Ghz) and wi-fi 6e (which uses 6Ghz and the separate radio in your RBRE960).  The FireTV 4K Max is only wi-fi 6 and still uses 5Ghz.  From it's Amazon product page: "Supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax (Wi-Fi 6) networks."

From https://www.tomsguide.com/face-off/wi-fi-6-vs-wi-fi-6e-whats-the-difference:

1.  Wi-Fi 6 can send and receive data over both the 2.4- and 5-gigahertz (GHz) bands (Wi-Fi 5 is 5-GHz only) and can move even more data by running a single ultra-wide 160-megahertz (MHz) channel on its 5-GHz band.
  2. Wi-Fi 6e added more than a gigahertz of fresh electromagnetic spectrum space in the U.S., ranging from 5.925 GHz to 7.125 GHz... This additional block of spectrum, generally referred as the 6-GHz band

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7