Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Apple devices will not connect when switching rooms

tserent
Aspirant

Apple devices will not connect when switching rooms

This has been driving me crazy.  When I move my phone or macs from one room to another, my devices do not have the ability to reconnect to Wi-fi.  I see the network but it just spins until it says it can't connect to internet.  I can get it to work by forgetting the network and reconnecting but it is a hassle.  I have RBR750 and RBS750 (3 sats and one router).

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Apple devices will not connect when switching rooms

I would factory reset the RBS, Remove it from the RBRs web page. Then with the RBS in same room as RBR, get it resynced wirelessly. After is all back up and running, place back in same location and test. I might turn OFF the other RBS to help check this as well. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 21

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Message 2 of 21
tserent
Aspirant

What Firmware version is currently loaded? V7.2.6.31_5.0.24
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? It is a Motorola Surfboard standard modem on Cox.

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 5500.  
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected. - Stucco walls.  We lose signal quickly between rooms, but it seems the problem exists with one Satellite vs the others. In general, the sats are over 30 feet apart but through walls could be less if you drew a line outside the windows of the rooms they are in.

I will check the MAC address thing.  It seems to happen if that is on or off.

Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

There a model# of this modem please...

If you think there is one specific RBS that maybe problematic, might try swapping RBS around to see if the problem follows or not. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  

Message 4 of 21
tserent
Aspirant

The problem also seems to be room/satellite specific.  Could it help to remove the satellite and reconnect to the router?

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Id swap RBS around first to see if problem remains in that one room/RBS location.

Message 6 of 21
tserent
Aspirant

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update? I will try this.
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  Auto 2.4 and 5GHz 48

Message 7 of 21
tserent
Aspirant

If it follows the satellite, then what should I do?

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I would factory reset the RBS, Remove it from the RBRs web page. Then with the RBS in same room as RBR, get it resynced wirelessly. After is all back up and running, place back in same location and test. I might turn OFF the other RBS to help check this as well. 

Message 9 of 21
tserent
Aspirant

It looks like it definitely is the satellite.  I unplugged it in the room that is the issue and it immediate was able to connect to the router in the other room.

Message 10 of 21
tserent
Aspirant

I am using wired backhaul on all sats by the way.

Message 11 of 21
tserent
Aspirant

The sat reset seems to have fixed it for now.  Thanks. 

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok.

Message 13 of 21
tserent
Aspirant

I spoke a bit too soon. I will try your other approaches as well.
Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 15 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you check the RBS debug pages and let us know what the Hop Count you see is on each RBS debug page? RBS IP address/debug.htm

Also Brand and Model # of the LAN swtich, if one is used in between the RBR and RBS? Or if RBS are all ethernet connected behind the RBR directly.

@tserent wrote:

I am using wired backhaul on all sats by the way.

Message 16 of 21
tserent
Aspirant

Where do I find the hop count in the debug files?

Message 17 of 21
tserent
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 Can you explain the potential issue with the LAN switch?  It is not the easiest to get to in the house, so if you can explain the potential issue, I can determine if I need to get to it.  Thanks.

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you check the RBS debug pages and let us know what the Hop Count you see is on each RBS debug page? RBS IP address/debug.htm

Are the RBS ethernet(wire) connected to the back of the RBR? 

Message 19 of 21
tserent
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 Can you check the RBS debug pages and let us know what the Hop Count you see is on each RBS debug page? RBS IP address/debug.htm

I asked in another reply where the Hop Count is located in the debug files that were downloaded.  I am sorry I am not familiar with reading these but I do have the files and if you can tell me where to look I can respond.

Are the RBS ethernet(wire) connected to the back of the RBR? 

The RBR output goes to a gigabit switch (installed in 2011) that then sends the signal to the three satellites. I have had another Orbi system and never had this problem until I installed the 750s. I also have another ASUS router in an external room that is configured as an access point. The ethernet connection to that router goes through two switches.

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Hop Count is viewable on the debug page. No need to download debug files. Just look at the web page. 

What Is the brand and model # of your switch in between the RBR and RBS. 

You'll need to turn OFF the other ASUS router in AP mode as well to better troubleshoot this. That maybe causing some interferences. 

What is the brand and model of these two switches here? 

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7