Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

As it might add to the solutions of having a more remote satellite RBS750

Norbertop
Guide

As it might add to the solutions of having a more remote satellite RBS750

As it might add to the solutions of having a more remote sattelite RBS750 as that is why you bought a mesh system. I had the same issue and rebooted everything first. Then restarted the setup by having both sattelites close to the router. They recognized the 5GHz connection as backhaul and I started to push the sattelites away, room by room. As the connection was known it stayed up much longer than as it had to connect for the first time on a remote distance.

We still are waiting for the Netgear update where a split frequency is offered or even better a setting for a preferred band/frequency per piece of equipment. Netgear please ....I am looking forward to that day. 😁

Message 1 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Re: As it might add to the solutions of having a more remote satellite RBS750

The thing with the Orbi backhaul is that it uses DFS channels (Dynamic Frequency Selection) which means using 5 GHz Wi-Fi frequencies that are generally reserved for radar, such as military radar, satellite communication, and weather radar.
Those channels are not allowed to be reserved or fixed. They have to keep jumping between the available channels as soon as a radar signal is detected.
Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Interesting how Netgear (and other vendors) have to navigate the radio restrictions around the world.

As page 130 of the user manual describes:

• Backhaul channel for North America and PR (Puerto Rico?) is 157, which is part of an 80MHz group of channels from 149 to 161.
    In these countries this group of channels is not DFS.
  • Backhaul for World Wide (WW) and Japan (JP) is 108, which is part of an 80MHz group of channels from 100 through 112.
    In most of the world these channels are DFS. (with some exceptions).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels#5_GHz_(802.11a/h/j/n/ac/ax) 

Sad that no one seems to publish information about how they deal with DFS.  Which other 80MHz group of channels do they switch to?  How do they communicate the "hop" to the satellites?  What happens in countries which do not allow use of those channels at all?

My sense is that @Norbertop may have been describing a desire to use different user facing radio frequencies on each of the Orbi units.  One of the solutions often suggested for dealing with congested 2.4G WiFi is to use different frequencies for each Access Point.  The same argument can be made for the 5G WiFi frequencies.  Why have every Access Point clogging up channels 36-48? No Orbi system has ever supported such an arrangement, and I suspect never will.

Message 3 of 6
Norbertop
Guide

Thanks for interesting answers to my issue, appreciate it. I will try to clearify the reason behind it. I use at least one piece of wifi connected equipment that preferres to connect to the 2.4 frequency only and it does not want to "see" the 5 at all. If really has problems connnecting that way. Ones it is connected there is no problem anymore. So you do understand that I have a repeating issue when upgrading the firmware. Luckily I had very good advices from you guys and girls in the past (preamble/output% etc.) which made it possible to connect the problimatic piece of equipment at all. Therefor I am still hoping for the possibility to point to a MACaddress for instance to only allow it on 2.4 or 5 frequency. The mentioned issue with the backhaul to be able to differ in frequency I understand from the explanation before and soforth the sattelites should probably be on a more secure (not be mangled with) part in the software. Still I am a NOOB on the subject and already happy to get the environment running. 

By the way, that said, the upgrade (update) to the recent firmware went very smooth (1 RBR750 and 2 RBS750 sattelites). Done it manually and had the (bridged) modem restarted and after that the router and sattelites. Thanks for the info in that matter and I have set the automated update to NO (which is possible in this foirmware version). 

Great thanks, keep on moving and enjoy life. Norbertop.

Message 4 of 6
Norbertop
Guide

firmware version 4.6.9.11 that is.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

You can also have too much as well:
https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7