Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bandwidth Aggregation

robert_t_wallac
Aspirant

Bandwidth Aggregation

I see 2 ports on the Orbi.. a 10G and a 2.5G..  I have 1G ports on my cable modem... today my uplink is from a 1G port on my cable modem to the 10G port on the Orbi speed negotiating to 1G.  Today, I have a 500M uplink to frontier..  I just ordered a 1G.. 

My question is whether I can use the bandwidth aggregation to aggregate the 10G port and the 2.5G port knowing its negotiating to 1G.  If I aggregate the two, i would get 2G between the Orbi and the frontier cable modem where today I only have a single 1G pipe.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Bandwidth Aggregation

If you only have a 1Gb line, you'll not see anything over 1Gb across the 10Gb line or LAG. LAG is not supported on the 9 series. 

Message 2 of 4
robert_t_wallac
Aspirant

Agreed..

I guess my question should also be whether I need LAG.. but I was thinking that... "if" I was driving 1G across a 1G link, it might get collisions so aggregating 2 - 1G links might give more headroom.. I see I get slightly over with than my committed rate so thought I might be able to go a bit over but the 1G link would restrict me.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

LAG would be best if you had a 2.5Gb ISP speed or higher, then LAG maybe something you could use. Though with some different modem and router configurations, sometimes LAG isn't needed. If you have a modem that supports 2.5Gb WAN speed along with a router that does, just the single connection in between them is enough. No LAG needed.

I'm still on a 1Gb line with my ISP though my CAX80 and CM2000 support 2.5Gb speeds. One day my ISP will go above 1Gb. For now, my 9 series works well connected and I use the 2.5Gb LAN port for output to the wired RBS all on a 2.5Gb line. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7