Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Blocker Services Function

satelly
Aspirant

Blocker Services Function

Looking for advice on how to set up the Orbi router for my IP camera system.

I have the IP security cameras on their on own subnet connected to an NVR. I block all outgoing connections from the NVR IP address (both TCP and UDP) with the exception of TCP port 8888 which enables it to send me notification of any tripwire triggers to my phone.

Previously I had an Asus router and used its Firewall Network Services Filter function to serve that role.

Since changing to the Orbi, I understand the equivalent function is "Blocked Services". I entered the IP address to block and TCP range (1:8887 and 8889:65535) and the tripwire signals transmit the correct notification to my phone. However, once I add the UDP range, I no longer get the notification. On the log, it shows that a UDP connection is blocked but doesnt tell what port.

Have I set the Blocked Services correctly? as I assume it is equivalent to the Asus Network Services Filter.

Also is there a way I get more information from the log to see which UDP port is getting blcoked.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Blocker Services Function

You'll need to contact the Mfr of these cameras for additional help and information regarding there product. Ask them the ports that are needed. 

Message 2 of 5
satelly
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38,

With the Asus router, there is both source and destination ports. I use the destination port.

With the Orbi routers, in my case the RBX350, it only has 1 port option. I presume from your comment (and given what I have tried above doesnt work) that the Orbi only lets you block the source port and not the destination port?

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@satelly wrote:

With the Orbi routers, in my case the RBX350, it only has 1 port option. I presume from your comment (and given what I have tried above doesnt work) that the Orbi only lets you block the source port and not the destination port?

The way I read the Help information (up arrow at bottom of the screen), the block is clearly the destination port.

I question the point of this effort in the first place.  Is there a fear that the NVR will attempt to "do evil things?"

Are there similar blocks on the printer, TV, smart plugs, garage door opener, etc.?

Message 4 of 5
satelly
Aspirant

Thanks CrimpOn,

I didn't see that. In that case, I'm not sure why the settings dont work.

You are correct that all devices can send data out. When reading other forums, the first thing they suggest is to block the security cameras/NVR. I guess the reason is that it may transmit video/images of your house, where as TV etc would only send data about what you watch.

I will have a play with the settings again.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7