Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CBR750 now not working with Xfinity

Heyrip
Guide

CBR750 now not working with Xfinity

I have CBR750 with one satellite, Xfinity is the ISP.  Worked great for more than a year until Xfinity "upgraded" their system in my area (Bellevue, WA) early November, then several times I had to unplug/plugin CBR750 to get it to work.  Four days ago Xfinity had an outage in my neighborhood and when system came back CBR750 no longer works.  Rebooting does not help. Xfinity has been out to my house twice, and determined problem is with the CBR750 not Xfinity because Xfinity's router works (so I have temporarily rented one).  Xfinity tech support says other people use the CBR750 and it works with their system.  I have not tried any sort of reset or update of the CBR750 yet...it's awkward because I'm out of the country and working with renters to solve the problem.  BTW, I'm not very tech-savvy.

Any suggestions on what to try would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CBR750 now not working with Xfinity

If the CBR had been working then he ISP had problems in your area then the CBR stopped working, this would fall on the ISP to correct this. 

The CBR would need to be hook up and would need the following posted here:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page.
https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

Are there any transmission issues reported by the ISP that they might report the CBR as being off line by chance? 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Start with removing any amplifiers, signal attenuators, or splitters from the coax.
From there check the line for kinks, damage, moisture in the line.
Check the connectors for improperly made ends, foil touching the copper coax line, loose connections, bad/old/cheap connectors, or corroded connections. Replace them if you do.
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Message 2 of 20
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Heyrip, 

We are looking into the issue. Kindly send me a private message with the device serial number and MAC address. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 3 of 20
Heyrip
Guide

Blanca, thanks for the reply.  How do I send a private message to you?

Message 4 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Select on her user name.

Message 5 of 20
Heyrip
Guide

Thank you for your suggestions.  I was successful in sending a private message to Blanca.  Your first message was beyond my pay grade 😜 and I am not even at the problem location...I'm renting the place out and trying to solve the problem at a distance.  And now the CBR750 is not even connected--I'm having to temporarily rent a cable modem/router from Xfinity until this problem is solved.  Thanks again for your suggestions!

Message 6 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefullly the ISP and NG can get this solved soon.

Message 7 of 20
night64
Aspirant

Having same issue from where I have to send message privately tell us here please .

Message 8 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Kindly send @Blanca_O  a private message with the device serial number and MAC address. 

FW version your using on the CBR as well. 

@night64 wrote:

Having same issue from where I have to send message privately tell us here please .

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Unless there making changes to there services, the CBR does support 1Gb connections with ISPs. It can actually support well beyond 1Gb if you had 4 LAN ports all streaming at 900Mpbs all at once to saturate the connection over the coax line. 

Someone at XF is lying to you.  

@cshep5528 wrote:

So after 2 hours on the phone with Xfinity they told me that the orbi 750 doesn't work with 1gb internet. I downgraded to 800 mbps. Now I am stuck paying $30 more per month for slower internet.  I hate comcast. 

Message 10 of 20
Heyrip
Guide

Just had a long conversation with Xfinity tech support--I was bumped up to a higher level of tech support.  The lady I talked to could not have been more patient and helpful so kudos to her at Xfinity.  

She said she has seen multiple reports of the CBR750 no longer working with Xfinity after Xfinity upgrades.  In my case, what probably happened is during the Xfinity outage--which could have been for maintenance--Xfinity probably did some sort of update which made the CBR750 no longer compatible.  She did not think it would ever work again unless Netgear corrects the problem, and she has no idea where that might stand.  She did say Xfinity, by agreements with manufacturers, reports these issues so Netgear should be aware of the problem both from Xfinity and from people like us posting on this board.

Bottom line is unless Netgear works with Xfinity and can update CBR750 software/settings it will never work.  I paid $500 for the CBR750 and one satellite and got 1.5 years out of something both Xfinity and Netgear said would work.  I was about half year out of warranty with the CBR750.  I'm screwed.  Why should I ever buy Netgear again???  If I buy my own equipment again I'll look for a longer warranty.  I don't really have a choice with Xfinity.

I told the Xfinity lady they should take down listing the CBR750 as compatible with Xfinity.  I haven't checked, but she said it is no longer listed as compatible. 

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems that the ISP would be at fault here since the system had been working. The ISP seem to do there own handling of modems regardless of user owned or not. Its up to them in the long run. I would agree it's NG responsibility to get with the ISP and get this figured out. If the ISP has declared it no longer supported on there network then they need to let users know about it and not just make the modems stop working. The CBR in it self is well capable of working for all speeds up to 1Gb on DOCSIS 3.1. Unless ISPs are turning OFF support of DOCSIS 3.1, these modems should work until such time. There would be a ton of other modems and users complaing about there DOCSIS 3.1 modesm not working if ISPs did that. DOCSIS 4.0 isn't ready from what I see until another year or two. And even then ISP wouldn't just shut off 3.1. 

One item to think about when it comes to gateway modems, SInce there all a combo included system, you might try a separate system next time. Haveing a all in one system can be some what limiting and inflexible on future needs as time goes on. I prefer to have a separate modem and separate router system that way if something happens on the modem side, I can made changes there easier than having to change out a entire system. Having a separate router system that you control and make work with any router seems to have more stability and flexibility than combo units. 

As a temp solution, you could connect a different modem up and use a different router, then configure the CBK750 system for a faux AP mode and continue using it's wifi system. Until the ISPs and NG get this figured out. 

Message 12 of 20
Heyrip
Guide

Thanks, FURRY.  I was already thinking about the possibility of buying a modem and using the CBR as a router.  IDK how to do that but I will look into it.  Maybe Blanca will eventually offer some help.  I'll send her a private message and ask.  I'm stuck with the Xfinity equipment until I get back to the USA.  In the future I will take your suggestion and get separate modem and router.

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

The CBR can only be using in AP mode if you go with a separate modem and another router. The CBR can't work as a separate router. 

Hopefully NG and the ISP can get this figured out. 

Message 14 of 20
atejwani
Apprentice

Hi @cshep5528 , @Heyrip , @night64 , (cc: @FURRYe38 , @Blanca_O ),

If this has been after an Xfinity upgrade in your neighborhood, has Xfinity/Comcast field service technician come out to your home to verify signal strengths and troubleshoot?

Believe it or not, I have been a Xfinity/Comcast broadband customer for the last 23 years (Earlier it was "branded' as @Home, ATT, Comcast and now Xfinity). I've owned my Netgear Orbi CBK752 bundle (CBR750 (Cable Modem/Wireless Router) + RBS750 (Mesh Satellite) since November 2020. There have been a couple of Netgear firmware updates that had "issues", but I am past that now, thanks to @FURRYe38 , and other Netgear Community members.

Xfinity recently "upgraded" their infrastructure in my neighborhood and had maintenance, after which I had severe degradation of performance - decrease in speed and stability issues. Remote troubleshooting with reseting at my end re-provisioning at Xfinity end did not seem to resolve the issues!

Xfinity sent a field service technician to my home to take a look at my signals and issues. Being a 23 years Xfinity  customer, there was a "legacy" device outside my house where the fiber optic was dropped. Savvy field service tech spotted and removed it and I am etting 1.4+Gbps down and 40+Mbps up (subscribed to 1.2Gbps up and 35Mbps up) .

Also, if you have not reached out yet, please do so  to Xfinity forum (Xfinity Community Forum > Internet > Your Home Network https://forums.xfinity.com/topics/your-home-network/602d56f9e6b3965d18e3a596

IMHO & YMMV

Wishing all a very Happy New Year,

Al

Message 15 of 20
BradTombaugh
Aspirant

I'm also in the Denver area, and having similar problems with my Orbi CBR750. I bought the Orbi in May 2021 when I upgraded to 1.2Gbps service. It worked perfectly for about 16 months, showing download speeds up to 1.4Gbps. In October, I was notified by ComCast that they were doing an "upgrade" in my service area, with intermittent outages over the course of a week. Following this "upgrade" the Orbi would work fine for about 48 hours, then the download speed would slow to almost nothing. If I rebooted it, it would continue working, but I was getting tired of the frequent outages and having to reboot every couple of days.

Last weekend it happened on Saturday morning, so I decided to call Xfinity for support. The agent asked all kinds of inane questions about how many devices I had connected, etc. without really understanding the issue. Then she told me that my equipment was "outdated" and needed to up replaced, as the CBR750 is no longer on their approved device list.

I am very frustrated by this, as the published specs saying DOCSIS 3.1 and 32x8 channel bonding would appear that it should be compatible. I don't know whether to be more upset with NetGear or ComCast? It seems to me that ComCast has changed something that makes these devices incompatible, but they don't seem to be able to articulate it.

The only thing that I have found from searching online is that the CBR750 may use an Intel Puma chipset, which are known to have issues?

In any event, after only 18 months after buying a state-of-the-art DOCSIS3.1 cable modem with WiFi6 mesh networking, I'm basically left holding $500 worth of junk, and I've had to spend another $500 to replace it. This time NOT going with NetGear, even though it might really be ComCast's fault.

I'd really like for them to explain why any DOCSIS3.1 modem isn't compatible?

Message 16 of 20
Heyrip
Guide

Atejwani, thanks for the reply.  To answer your question, yes Xfinity has been out to ny house and supposedly looked at the connection to my house.  Also, I would think if there was something amiss there the Xfinity equipment that is working might have a problem.

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Everyone keep in contact with NG support. NG is aware of it. 

@KevinLiT @Blanca_O 

Message 18 of 20
Heyrip
Guide

Just an update if anyone is wondering...I haven't heard anything back from Netgear about this problem.  No confirmation there is a problem, no comment if they have or have not found a problem, no comment it they will try (or are trying) to fix it, no comment if they will offer any credit for systems that no longer work, no comment if the CBR750 (or satellite) could somehow be used as router alone if I buy a new modem.

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

NG is working with the ISP on this. From what I understand there are certain CBR serial numbers that come up problematic along with issues at the ISP level. NG IS working on this. Not all CBRs are effected.

The CBR can only be used has a gateway modem in gatway mode or Bridged thus modem only mode thus disabling the router and wifi portion of the CBR. How this was designed. 

However, you CAN use the CBR in a faux AP mode along with the RBS if you set a new IP address on the CBR that aligns with any external router you connect up and then disable the DHCP service on the CBR. Connect the CBR via one of it's LAN ports to the uptream routers LAN ports. The RBS will connect and get a IP address thru the CBR from the host router. You'll just have to cover the front LEDs as these will continually blink. I use a postit note to cover.

I tried this once and it worked. 

Keep in touch with NG and be patient. There working on it. Should see more movement after the holidays and new year starts. 

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series