Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CTS/RTS Settings for Orbi AX4200

Phyber
Luminary

CTS/RTS Settings for Orbi AX4200

I know this has been probably asked to death but for a simple home setup, what is the recommended settings for CTS/RTS? The default is 64 but on my old RBK50 system it was set to 2305. I don't have any issues but would like to eke out as much performance as I can.

RBR750 (v4.6.11.1) -> Motorola DOCSIS 3.1 modem -> cable (600/20 but I routinely get around 800/23). Two satellites, one hard wired for backhaul and one WiFi for backhaul.

Message 1 of 13
microchip8
Master

Re: CTS/RTS Settings for Orbi AX4200

Message 2 of 13
Phyber
Luminary

Ok. Why the maximum and why does the AX4200 default to 64? Why not 500 or some other setting?

Message 3 of 13
microchip8
Master

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I was told by NG that for Orbi AX systems, CTS 64 is needed and recommended for systems with two RBS or less. If you have more 3 or more, then CTS could be changed. 

Recent FW updates being seen on Orbi AX systems seems to be that NG maybe removing the user changeable options for CTS and may be having the CTS feature maybe handling it automatically now. Just FYI. 

Message 5 of 13
Phyber
Luminary

Thanks to both of you. This is an ongoing education for me. I read the article and I think I get the gist of it but admittedly, it is beyond my network understanding. I don't see anything about Fragmentation in the settings unless it is a function of RTS/CTS and not listed as a user accessible setting.

I still have the ability to change the RTS/CTS values so I can change from 64 to 2305 or higher if need be. Both of my home theater systems are hardwired so that should help with the performance of my WiFi.

I do have two RBSs so maybe I should just leave well enough alone and not change RTS/CTS (which is just a single setting for 2.4GHz and 5GHz). I'm not aware of any issues with my Orbi performance with the default settings (RTS/CTS, channels, etc).

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Ya if you have two RBS, you'll be fine with default 64. How I run my RBS and there ethernet connected as well. Haven't had any issues using this setting. 

Message 7 of 13
Phyber
Luminary

Thanks. I noticed that someone else mentioned losing connection with their Mac but with the default settings I haven't lost any connections or had any issues with the Guest network as well.

Only one of my RBSs is hardwired. The other one uses the WiFi backhaul and is in a room that is almost directly above where the router is. I do lose connection briefly with my laptop in that room on a rare occasion so I'm not sure what the issue is. All other WiFi devices throughout the home and property always stay connected and work fine.

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 9 of 13
Phyber
Luminary

Thanks. I do have a Word doc. of all of the my settings (default and tweaked) that I can refer back to or check without having to open up the Admin settings via my browser.

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Having the config file saved from the router will be good as well. 😉

Message 11 of 13
Phyber
Luminary

I agree, and will do that this afternoon. Thanks for all of your help.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements