Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I set up a preferred satellite?

onlize
Aspirant

Can I set up a preferred satellite?

Hello,

I have an Orbi 750 router and satellite. I have multiple devices located near the satellite device, but they connect to my router. I know that devices support a mesh environment because, for example, I have the same cameras. Some of them connect to the satellite, but some of them connect to the router.

Is there any way to set up the preference for the connection? I want them to connect to the satellite because it should give me better performance.

Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can I set up a preferred satellite?

No. There is no method to dictate the specific Orbi unit where a device will connect.  (One of the most frequently asked questions.)

One would presume that the device will not connect to an access point that does not offer adequate performance.  For example, a security camera may need less than 10mb/sec to stream video (even less if it is streaming to a smartphone app).  Streaming 4K video requires 25mb/sec, which is well within the capacity of 2.4G WiFi.

If the device does not function satisfactorily when connected to the router, sometimes it will 'switch' if turned off and back on again.

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@onlize wrote:

Hello,

I have an Orbi 750 router and satellite. I have multiple devices located near the satellite device, but they connect to my router. I know that devices support a mesh environment because, for example, I have the same cameras. Some of them connect to the satellite, but some of them connect to the router.

Is there any way to set up the preference for the connection? I want them to connect to the satellite because it should give me better performance.

Message 3 of 11
onlize
Aspirant

Hi, the firmware on my satellite is v.4.6.5.14.

The firmware on my router is v4.6.5.14_2.0.54

Distance would be about 30ft, but they are located on different floors.

Which option should I set to 50%? I see "Transmit Power Control" under Region Selection and Advanced Wireless Settings.

This is the first time I am trying to post a picture on this forum and, for some reason it does not show the picture correctly.

CapturePic.JPG

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, adjust the Transmit Power Control drop down menu. 

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Adjusting Transmit Power is sort of a "blunt instrument".  This setting alters the user radio channel of every Orbi unit, which will shrink the area with strong coverage for every Orbi device.  If there are other devices which now get a strong signal and connect at a high "link rate", but are not particularly close, their link rates may drop.  An attempt to make one satellite more attractive than the router for this particular device may have unintended consequences.

It can be a bit of a 'bother' to collect before and after records of individual device link rates.  On the Orbi app, one would have to open the Connected Devices display, then press on each device to bring up the link  rate, record the value, go back, open the next device, etc. etc.

If you happen to have Microsoft Excel, there is a spreadsheet which will collect all that information in one place.

Message 6 of 11
onlize
Aspirant

I understand that I must change Transmit Power Control, but where? There are two sections with this setting. One of them is "Region Selection" and another one is "Advanced Wireless Settings..." 

Which one?

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 8 of 11
onlize
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please take a look at the picture that I attached. It shows that there are two options with the same name "Transmit Power Control" under Advanced/Advanced/Wireless Settings. Which setting to use?

Message 9 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

One is for the 2.4G radio. Other is for the 5G radio.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Transmit Power, Change the drop down menu where you see 100%? Change this to something lower. You'll see 50% and 25%. 

@onlize wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please take a look at the picture that I attached. It shows that there are two options with the same name "Transmit Power Control" under Advanced/Advanced/Wireless Settings. Which setting to use?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7