Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't change Chromecast to 2.4 GHZ on Orbi RBR350

niels1292921
Aspirant

Can't change Chromecast to 2.4 GHZ on Orbi RBR350

Hi all,

I want to adjust my chromecast device to 2.4 ghz instead of 5. But it seems there is no option in the Orbi app. Can anyone help me out? Casting is a lot of patience atm... thanks!

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Can't change Chromecast to 2.4 GHZ on Orbi RBR350

The orbi's can't split the 2.4ghz/5ghz. 

But why would you want to connect to the 2.4ghz? Its a much much slower network and sensitive to interference. 5ghz is significantly faster. Especially if you're using a chromecast for streaming. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

It might help to describe what has prompted this request.

With Orbi routers, it is the device that chooses which WiFi channel is best.  Chromecast supports both 2.4G and 5G WiFi.

Message 3 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

It sounds like you have Chromecast wireless connection quality issues while using 5Ghz and believe that 2.4Ghz, with its greater range.  If your Chromecast is selecting 5Ghz then the signal strength is good enough to perform.  We can help optimize your Orbi wireless performance so that your Chromecast streams better.  Do you have other devices that struggle over your Orbi wireless?  Have you tried changing the 5Ghz channel using orbilogin.com?

Message 4 of 6
niels1292921
Aspirant

Problem is that most times my phone and chromecast doesn't pair. Some reboots may help every now and then. But I read online that Chromecasts and Mesh system, doesn't go too well. I haven't tried changing the channel on orbilogin.com since i've no clue what to do.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Most dual band wifi devices are tuned to prefer to connect to 5Ghz signals over 2.4Ghz. So it's up to the wifi device to pick and choose what it connects too...

@niels1292921 wrote:

Hi all,

I want to adjust my chromecast device to 2.4 ghz instead of 5. But it seems there is no option in the Orbi app. Can anyone help me out? Casting is a lot of patience atm... thanks!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7