Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't set up guest network name and security

orbisteve
Aspirant

Can't set up guest network name and security

Helping a friend set up a RBR850 2-pack system, so far everything has gone smoothly. However, we seem to be unable to set up a guest network. There is one that shows up, NETGEAR-Guest, on 192.168.2.x, but it's open. When we try to change the name and set up a WPA2-PSK [AES] password we get a progress bar that says it's "Updating Settings," but nothing seems to change. We've tried rebooting the router with no luck. It's running V3.2.10.11_1.2.12. We'll appreciate any help and suggestions. Thank you, and take care.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
orbisteve
Aspirant

Re: Can't set up guest network name and security

I didn't get back to this for a couple of weeks for lots of reasons not the least being the pandemic. So when I went to look at it again I thought, "Hm, why don't I just give it another try via the 'usual' route with the web login?" And lo and behold this time it worked. The guest network name and password "stuck" and it doesn't just show Netgear Guest now. I swear I didn't do anything different, I didn't reset the router, I didn't use a different browser... nothing. It just for some reason worked. So, everyone's happy, though I'm a little irked because I'd like to know why it worked now but not before. But I'm not going to question it! No sir! 

Thanks to all those who provided advice, and to everyone, please take good care and stay healthy!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 14

All Replies
Bandito
Luminary

Are you trying the setup via the web interface or the app?  It might be worth trying the alternate method to see if it will complete.

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using a wired PC and web browser to log into the RBRs web page to set up Guest Network...

@orbisteve wrote:

Helping a friend set up a RBR850 2-pack system, so far everything has gone smoothly. However, we seem to be unable to set up a guest network. There is one that shows up, NETGEAR-Guest, on 192.168.2.x, but it's open. When we try to change the name and set up a WPA2-PSK [AES] password we get a progress bar that says it's "Updating Settings," but nothing seems to change. We've tried rebooting the router with no luck. It's running V3.2.10.11_1.2.12. We'll appreciate any help and suggestions. Thank you, and take care.

Message 3 of 14
orbisteve
Aspirant

Had tried it via the app initially. We just tried it via the web browser connected via ethernet and the same thing happened: NETGEAR-Guest shows up as an open network, rather than the name we gave the guest network and the password access. 

Strangely both the app and the orbilogin web control panel say it has the name we gave it and the password. So for some reason it "sticks" somewhere but the device itself only turns on guest access rather than "taking" the new name and password. 

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming!

Message 4 of 14
Bandito
Luminary

I kinda hate to recommend it as I'm not much of a believer in it, but next up would be a factory reset and then set everything up again.

Message 5 of 14
orbisteve
Aspirant

Thanks, but I've never actually had a factory reset resolve a problem with my system (RBR50) so I'm reluctant to go through with the bother on my friend's. (Maybe I've had the wrong problems!)

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would reset the RBR850 and set it up from scratch. Use IE11, FireFox or Opera to set up the router again. Then go in and enable Guest Network and set WPA2 and AES only. Be sure your using a simplified password. Something with out any special characters. Save and apply. 

I have mine enabled and it's secured. 

@orbisteve wrote:

Thanks, but I've never actually had a factory reset resolve a problem with my system (RBR50) so I'm reluctant to go through with the bother on my friend's. (Maybe I've had the wrong problems!)

Message 7 of 14
orbisteve
Aspirant

I didn't get back to this for a couple of weeks for lots of reasons not the least being the pandemic. So when I went to look at it again I thought, "Hm, why don't I just give it another try via the 'usual' route with the web login?" And lo and behold this time it worked. The guest network name and password "stuck" and it doesn't just show Netgear Guest now. I swear I didn't do anything different, I didn't reset the router, I didn't use a different browser... nothing. It just for some reason worked. So, everyone's happy, though I'm a little irked because I'd like to know why it worked now but not before. But I'm not going to question it! No sir! 

Thanks to all those who provided advice, and to everyone, please take good care and stay healthy!

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it worked. Wondering if something was just stuck and given some time off, finally got unstuck. 

Enjoy and keep healthy. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 14
orbisteve
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. 24 hours later (give or take) and all seems well. There wasn't a firmware update or anything so it's still baffling. I'll just file this away under "mystery" unless someone else experiences this (and if they do the only advice I'll have is "just wait"). I've even looked through the logs and can't find anything different between the time it worked and the times it didn't. It's a win, though, since it works, and that's good enough!

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya is very odd. Glad it's working now though. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 14
Mikey94025
Hero

@orbisteve wrote:

Strangely both the app and the orbilogin web control panel say it has the name we gave it and the password. So for some reason it "sticks" somewhere but the device itself only turns on guest access rather than "taking" the new name and password. 

Since your RBR850 is a base station and a separate satellite, the two units have to independently update themselves with the latest guest network settings.  You may have seen the correct guest network coming from the base station but the old guest network was still configured and broadcasted from the satellite.  Sometime later, things converge and both are using the correct guest network configuration.  So another thing to try if this inconsistency occurs again is reboot the entire system (via the web admin or app) or power-cycle the satellite.

Message 12 of 14
orbisteve
Aspirant

That's an interesting possibility. We were nearest the base and not the satellite on both occasions. On the one hand I wish there was a way to test that; on the other hand, if it ain't broke, leave it alone, I always say.

Thanks, and take care!

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your post as solved so other will know. 

Enjoy. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7