Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot Get Support

Dannytype1
Aspirant

Cannot Get Support

Hi

I have been having lots of issues with updating firmware but before that. I purchased the product on the 7th of April and Netgears systems say it was purchased in 2020 which is completely incorrect so no one wants to give me support. I had to send over the receipt which i did 4 times as the support person i was speaking didnt believe that i had only just bought it. No one told me what the issue was I had to figure it out for myself.

I then spoke to someone who said my purchase date had been updated, which it hasn't. He also said someone would call me back within the hour, which hasn't happened either.

I have spent two days trying to fix the issues, and the more I try, the worse it gets. Here is my last attempt to speak to someone who can help me.

Thanks
Danny

Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Cannot Get Support

What a strange situation.  Netgear provides 90 days of  "complimentary support" when a product is purchased new from an authorized sellerhttps://www.netgear.com/home/where-to-buy/ 

My sense is that Netgear's records show this serial number as having been purchased in 2020 and it will take a pretty convincing receipt to convince them that it has been sitting unopened in a box for four years.

There is nothing anyone on the community forum can do about this sort of thing.  (Most of us came to the forum because our "90 days" had long expired and we did not want to fork over hard cash to have Netgear talk to us.

Meanwhile......... Updating firmware is a common topic on the forum, and a lot of users have found solutions here.

What specifically is the issue?

Message 2 of 9
Dannytype1
Aspirant

Hi

I cannot update the firmware on my satellites either manually or automatically. The manual doesnt open the page to choose the correct firmware and i get service unreachable / update failed. There isnt a firmware number for the satellites either so i have no idea where they are are. I have tried everything from the forums that i could find no joy. I have out of sync and they have never synced. Surley its not that difficult to update firmwares but from everthying i have read it is.

Thanks

Danny

Message 3 of 9
Dannytype1
Aspirant

I have added a automatic screenshot as well.

Thanks

Danny

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

The RBS wouldn't have been already updated to v7 FW first would they? 

Can try this to see if you can get the RBS and RBR updated manually - 

Have the RBS and RBR FW files already downloaded to your wired PC:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-...

I recommend that you factory reset the RBS and RBR and let the RBS auto connect to the RBR soon after the RBR is waiting at the setup wizard screen as seen here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Procedure-for-Factory-reset-of-RBS8...

Bring them to the same room as the RBR or near the RBR. 20 feet is good. If they auto sync to the RBR which they should, after you press the reset button on the RBS then on the RBR, or user the ERASE button, give about 5 minutes for them to sync to the RBR. The front LED should turn BLUE in front. When that happens, being to walk thru the setup routine as detailed in the PDF. Skip the portion of where it checks for FW updates. And don't change the WiFi SSID name or password, we'll do this later. Just get to the home screen.

Follow this process to update the FW on the RBS using the RBS web pages by accessing them with the IP address given to them by the RBR:

Manual FW Update Process

Follow this process to get each RBS updated first, then update the RBR lastly. 

Message 5 of 9
Dannytype1
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for all the information having wasted an hour speaking to someone in support i am not nearer sorting out my issue.

I bough a new cat 6 cable and a brand new ethernet adapter all things i shouldnt have to do when i have spent will over $1000 dollars on the router.

I can get the ethernet cable working as it should when wired to the router. However, the satellite only shows 5 ghz wireless events when wired. I kept getting asked what firmware the satellites are on, and as I keep saying, it doesn't tell me anywhere that information. Even if it did, I wouldn't be able to update it. I am on a death loop with no way out.

I hope that other pre-customers read these posts and many others on the forum to see how bad the situation is and how all you get is people on the other end of a phone reading scripts and copying and pasting messages on the forum.

Thanks

Danny

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Most of those authorized resellers have generous return policies.  What about returning the Orbi package and starting over with something else?

If the units cannot be returned, another possibility is to "flash" the firmware directly to each satellite.  This depends on which platform is available (Windows, Apple, Linux)  The concept is to

• connect the satellite and computer with an Ethernet cable
  • with both the satellite and computer not connected to anything else
  • set the computer to a static IP address or 192.168.1.x (not "1" or "250", anything else)
  • have firmware for the satellite "unzipped" and ready on the computer
  • have TFTP (or mnrpflash for Windows) open and ready on the computer
  • set TFTP to send to 192.168.1.250
  • power up the satellite
  • wait a second or two and 'send' the firmware file to the satellite.
  • after the firmware file is sent, the satellite will reboot with the new firmware

This is a really tricky process.  I have done it twice with older Orbi models (not an RBS850).  Both times it was really frustrating. I once tried failed five times in a row and was getting out my trusty hammer to beat the satellite into tiny pieces and then thought, "what else do I have to do right now? maybe I can try again."  and the sixth time..... it worked!

The 'nerd' in me enjoyed the adventure.  The 'normal' person in me was frustrated, annoyed, and angrier by the minute.

Message 7 of 9
Dannytype1
Aspirant

Hi

I am on a macbook if you have a guide. One of the main issues is i dont even know what the firmware is for the satellites it could be all the latest ones but dont know.

Thanks

Danny

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

May seem like were coping and pasting here in the forums however we are trying to help you. We need feedback to the questions presented. Not trying waste time here. If your not willing to give feedback to free help and support here then I recommend you return the system you bought and go find something else. 

Good Luck.

@Dannytype1 wrote:

Hi

Thanks for all the information having wasted an hour speaking to someone in support i am not nearer sorting out my issue.

I bough a new cat 6 cable and a brand new ethernet adapter all things i shouldnt have to do when i have spent will over $1000 dollars on the router.

I can get the ethernet cable working as it should when wired to the router. However, the satellite only shows 5 ghz wireless events when wired. I kept getting asked what firmware the satellites are on, and as I keep saying, it doesn't tell me anywhere that information. Even if it did, I wouldn't be able to update it. I am on a death loop with no way out.

I hope that other pre-customers read these posts and many others on the forum to see how bad the situation is and how all you get is people on the other end of a phone reading scripts and copying and pasting messages on the forum.

Thanks

Danny

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7