Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Carrier Infinity Touch Thermostat will not connect

yefanah
Aspirant

Carrier Infinity Touch Thermostat will not connect

Tried many permutations but thermostat will not connect. Hoped that IoT 2.4 GHz network would do the trick but no luck.

Experimenting with a WNDR 4500 old router showed that a CTS setting of 200 connected, but that CTS of 175 behaved just like the ORBI.

Why can a CTS setting not be made available, at least on the IoT network?

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Carrier Infinity Touch Thermostat will not connect

Carrier thermostats have proved to be frustrating in the past.  Is this the process you are following?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlSNVYIU3A0 

(Perhaps you have a link to Carrier's WiFi setup instructions?)

Message 2 of 5
Phyber
Luminary

More than likely it's the Carrier thermostat. I had a Nest for our old HVAC system and when we got a new Trane HVAC system, I used their thermostat. Both thermostats, the Nest and Trane's worked perfectly on the 2.4GHz network using a re-named Guest Network with its own pw. In fact, all of our IoT devices use the re-named Guest Network with no issues. Orbi RBK753S (RBR 750 and two RBS 750's).

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

The reason I asked is that video appears to show the Carrier smartphone app connecting to the thermostat rather than to the home WiFi.  Many IoT devices begin by creating their own primitive WiFi access point, the smartphone app connects to it, and communicates the home WiFi SSID/password to the device. (I have a whole box full of smart plugs that do it this way.  The newest Wyze smart plug, however, uses Bluetooth for that setup. I actually prefer the Bluetooth method.)

Message 4 of 5
yefanah
Aspirant

The video is the procedure I followed. My experiment with the old Netgear WNDR 4500 involved setting it up the the same ssid and password, limiting it to 2.4 GHz, and doing a binary search type algorithm to find the smallest CTS setting that allowed the  thermostat to connect -- 200 worked and 175 failed so the limit is somewhere in between. I made many connections and confirmed I was doing the Carrier process correctly.

I had hoped that once connected via the identical ssid/password to the 4500 that it would remain connected to the ORBI but no such luck. I have 4 thermostats, and none connects to the ORBI when previously they had all connected to an old Netgear or ASUS simple router.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7