Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cell phone calls disconnect when on Wi-fi

skrishnan37
Aspirant

Cell phone calls disconnect when on Wi-fi

I have noticed that if I have my WiFi on my iPhone XS and someone calls , the call gets immediately disconnected. If I try to make a call & the WiFi is on, as soon as someone picks up, the call is disconnected. Not a problem when the WiFi is turned off. Not a problem when I’m on someone else’s WiFi. Thoughts? Some kind of restriction from the Orbi router? (I’ve had this iPhone for almost 2 years and this is a new problem.)
AT&T fiber optic-dumbswitch-Orbi RBK852 with 2 satellites
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
skrishnan37
Aspirant

Re: Cell phone calls disconnect when on Wi-fi

I'm embarrassed to say I figured out the problem.  It was my phone.  I thought it was the router, that had nothing to do with it.  Problem solved.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you. 

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@skrishnan37 wrote:
I have noticed that if I have my WiFi on my iPhone XS and someone calls , the call gets immediately disconnected. If I try to make a call & the WiFi is on, as soon as someone picks up, the call is disconnected. Not a problem when the WiFi is turned off. Not a problem when I’m on someone else’s WiFi. Thoughts? Some kind of restriction from the Orbi router? (I’ve had this iPhone for almost 2 years and this is a new problem.)

Do you have "WiFi Calling" enabled on the iPhone?  (not that I "know anything", because I have never used WiFi Calling and do not have an iPhone)

Message 3 of 9
Jetdrive
Luminary

And conversly, if you turn wifi calling off, do the calls complete normally?

Message 4 of 9
skrishnan37
Aspirant

Exactly. Turn off WiFi, no problem.
Message 5 of 9
Jetdrive
Luminary

Not exactly. Sometimes there is a setting messed up that turning that feature off and then back on fixes. Just turning off WiFi would not reset the WiFi calling feature - it would just turn off WiFi on the phone.
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@skrishnan37 wrote:

Message 7 of 9
skrishnan37
Aspirant

I'm embarrassed to say I figured out the problem.  It was my phone.  I thought it was the router, that had nothing to do with it.  Problem solved.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

May we ask you what you did to correct the problem? 

Glad you figured it out. Smiley Wink

@skrishnan37 wrote:

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7