Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CenturyLink Fiber RBR750 config

Seattle_RBR750
Aspirant

CenturyLink Fiber RBR750 config

I recently upgraded to CenturyLink Fiber. They supplied a C4000XG router which I believe I don’t need since the RBR750 can act as a gateway with some configuration. Can anyone help me? I already attempted to add my PPP credentials and enables VLAN 201 settings but I’m still getting a purple light. Appreciate any support here to avoid the Geek Squad bill.
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: CenturyLink Fiber RBR750 config

@Seattle_RBR750 wrote:
Yes. This was my guide until my 4th failed attempt. I guess my questions based off this Reddit post are #1- how to “enable” gateway mode on the RBR750? #2- I was told by CenturyLink my PPP and PPoE credentials were identical? On my CL router admin pages I could only find PPP. Will that prevent a successful outcome? #3- is VLAN tag 201 the correct tag?

That Reddit article assumed that the reader was installing two separate pieces of equipment:

• One box to "talk to CenturyLink, and another to be
  • The Customer's home router.

In such a situation, most people would not want to have "two routers" and would thus put the first device into a bridge or gateway mode.  Your goal  is to install only one device: the RBR750 router.  So, the RBR750 should be left in the default router mode.

As for VLAN 201, the more I read, the more confusing it is.  Netgear routers use VLAN to support internet television.  (See page 74 of the user manual: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBK752_UM_EN.pdf )

This video implies (in some of the comments) that when the customer router is not designed to put a VLAN tag on the WAN port, the customer can use a managed switch (such as a 5-port GS-105Ev2 - under $40 on Amazon) to add the VLAN tag on the WAN port. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa76pRdQYGY 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 18

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to ask the ISP for help and information about to see if there HW is needed or not and for information on what configuration is needed on the RBR if there HW isn't needed. 

Message 2 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Is this the router CenturyLink provided?

https://www.centurylink.com/home/help/internet/modems-and-routers/greenwave-c4000.html 

It appears that others have found solutions. Might follow this advice:

https://www.reddit.com/r/centurylink/comments/ic4asm/howto_you_may_not_need_that_c4000xg_or_whatever... 

(That comment about using only Port 4 seemed a bit unusual.)

Message 3 of 18
Seattle_RBR750
Aspirant

Yes. This was my guide until my 4th failed attempt. I guess my questions based off this Reddit post are #1- how to “enable” gateway mode on the RBR750? #2- I was told by CenturyLink my PPP and PPoE credentials were identical? On my CL router admin pages I could only find PPP. Will that prevent a successful outcome? #3- is VLAN tag 201 the correct tag?

Thanks!
Message 4 of 18
Phyber
Luminary

Place the CL gateway is pass-through mode if it doesn't have a bridge mode setting?

Message 5 of 18
Seattle_RBR750
Aspirant

Is the outcome of this keeping the CL hardware or allowing for the Orbi router to be configured correctly prior to deprecating the CL hardware? The goal for me is to eliminate the CL hardware.
Message 6 of 18
Seattle_RBR750
Aspirant

It does have a transparent bridge setting FYI.
Message 7 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@Seattle_RBR750 wrote:

That Reddit article assumed that the reader was installing two separate pieces of equipment:

• One box to "talk to CenturyLink, and another to be
  • The Customer's home router.

In such a situation, most people would not want to have "two routers" and would thus put the first device into a bridge or gateway mode.  Your goal  is to install only one device: the RBR750 router.  So, the RBR750 should be left in the default router mode.

As for VLAN 201, the more I read, the more confusing it is.  Netgear routers use VLAN to support internet television.  (See page 74 of the user manual: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK752/RBK752_UM_EN.pdf )

This video implies (in some of the comments) that when the customer router is not designed to put a VLAN tag on the WAN port, the customer can use a managed switch (such as a 5-port GS-105Ev2 - under $40 on Amazon) to add the VLAN tag on the WAN port. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa76pRdQYGY 

Message 8 of 18
Seattle_RBR750
Aspirant

This worked! No more CL router! Go Orbi!

One last question: I did preemptively purchase a Netgear GS305EP switch based off another article I read. Now that I’ve setup ppoe and VLaN on the orbi router, what additional benefit can I gain from adding this switch? Probably a question for a new thread but I’d you have any quick answer and/or resources I will continue my novice journey. Thanks!
Message 9 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@Seattle_RBR750 wrote:
 I did preemptively purchase a Netgear GS305EP switch based off another article I read. Now that I’ve setup ppoe and VLaN on the orbi router, what additional benefit can I gain from adding this switch?

People typically connect a switch to one of the LAN ports when there are more wired devices to connect then there are ports.  This little switch would power four Power over Ethernet (PoE) devices, such as cameras.  I purchased a similar PoE switch to avoid cluttering up my garage with individual PoE gizmos.

Aside from that, it makes a nice paperweight.

Message 10 of 18
Seattle_RBR750
Aspirant

I didn't expect this. I'm seeing reduced Download/Upload speeds after removing the CL hardware. I would have expected flat or even a slight increase. Any ideas how to boost them back to the old numbers? See attached screenshot for comparison. 

Message 11 of 18
Seattle_RBR750
Aspirant

Anyone have any orbi configuration ideas to increase speeds or should I just put the CenturyLink hardware back in and bridge the Orbi?
Message 12 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What speed results if you use a wired PC connected to the RBR and Ooklas installable speed test app?

Message 13 of 18
Seattle_RBR750
Aspirant

With Ooklas it’s 911 down and 925 up. That’s way better than the speed test performed inside the Orbi app which was 850 down and 475 up. I’m good with these speeds. Is it a known issue that the speed test inside the app isn’t as accurate as the ooklas? Thank you btw. This is definitely solved now.
Message 14 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi app tests thru the mobile devices wifi connection so results depends on capabilities of the mobile devices and wifi connection so results may differ. Recommend testing with a wired PC and Ooklas speed test app to get more accurate results.

Message 15 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Orbi app tests thru the mobile devices wifi connection so results depends on capabilities of the mobile devices and wifi connection so results may differ. Recommend testing with a wired PC and Ooklas speed test app to get more accurate results.

I am pretty confident that when the Orbi app reports a Speed Test, the actual test was performed on the Orbi router and the results communicated to the Orbi app for display.  The Orbi app can report a Speed Test when connected to the router with Anywhere Access, i.e. when connected to any network "Anywhere" on the internet.

I just now performed a Speed Test using the Orbi app when my smartphone was connected to the internet using LTE. (no WiFi at all) and got the usual results.

I have found that Ookla Speed Test can vary tremendously from one minute to another.

Message 16 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi app can test via local network as well which maybe more accurate than Anywhere Access. AA could be effecting speed results. I always use Local Network when testing speeds using Orbi app. 

Have never had any problems with Ooklas speed test app. Its way more reliable and accurate than the Orbi app is IMO. Find a accurate and reliable speed test server and favorite it. There can be many different speed test servers in ones local area. Some maybe less accurate or more busier than others. 

Message 17 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Perhaps there is a terminology issue. When my smartphone is disconnected from WiFi (LTE data only) and I open the Orbi app and select Speed Test, which device is performing the Speed Test?

• My smartphone, connected to LTE data?
  • The Orbi router, which communicates the results through Anywhere Access to the Orbi app on my smartphone?

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7