Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting RBS850 to RBR850

DonDżonson
Aspirant

Connecting RBS850 to RBR850

I have problem with connecting new RBS850 to my RBR850. I bought second satellite, and can't connect it. Even when there is info about successful connection, the satellite isn't visible.

Also when I try to reconnect my current satellite (also RBS850), after pressing reset button (until amber light blinks), and then clicks reconnect in the attached Devices, it somehow connects back after a while.

After resetting whole device, and setting up a new network, the old satellite is connected right away, and with the new one same problem, after information about successful connection it's not on the list of devices

IMG_1754.jpegIMG_1753.jpeg

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connecting RBS850 to RBR850

Possible that the new RBS is not on same FW version level as your current units. If this is so, you'll need to connect a ethernet connected PC to the back of the RBS and no sync it, wait about 5 minutes. Set a static IP address on your PC for 192.168.1.49. Then see if you can access the RBS web page at 192.168.1.250. if you can, log in with admin and "password". Have the same level RBS FW version file unpacked on the PC and use the RBS web page to upload it to the RBS. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@DonDżonson wrote:

After resetting whole device, and setting up a new network, the old satellite is connected right away, and with the new one same problem, after information about successful connection it's not on the list of devices

When a package is created at the factory, router and satellite are paired, which makes initial setup much easier.  Depending on where the new satellite came from, it may have previously been paired to a specific router.  It might help to do a Factory Reset on the new satellite (paperclip, power LED flashing amber, etc.) before using the Orbi web interface menu item Add Orbi Satellite.

Can you please explain more about "after information about successful connection"?  Is this a pattern of lights on the satellite? A message on the Orbi web interface?

I typically look at the Attached Devices display where the top panel shows satellites and the bottom panel shows devices that are connected to the system.

Message 2 of 9
DonDżonson
Aspirant

The first satellite was a pair (RBK852), so that explains self connection after factory reset. But should it also automatically pair when I reconnect only the satellite after pressing reset button on device and clicking reconnect in settings?

But back to the main problem, on the new satellite which I want to connect I did factory reset, by pressing reset button on device until amber light blinks. After that the light in front starts flashing (white) and after some time lights still (also white), then I press sync button on the back, and in "add orbi satellite" logging to settings by browser. After a while appears a message "satellite setup successfully" the device the light shines blue, however going to Attached Device I see only my old satellite. I try it several times resetting satellite again, and every time the same. 

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

The Attached Devices display does not update instantly. What happens if you wait 15 minutes and open Attached Devices again?

Message 4 of 9
DonDżonson
Aspirant

nothing, even after the whole night I don't see it, rebooting also doesn't change anything

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that the new RBS is not on same FW version level as your current units. If this is so, you'll need to connect a ethernet connected PC to the back of the RBS and no sync it, wait about 5 minutes. Set a static IP address on your PC for 192.168.1.49. Then see if you can access the RBS web page at 192.168.1.250. if you can, log in with admin and "password". Have the same level RBS FW version file unpacked on the PC and use the RBS web page to upload it to the RBS. 

Message 6 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

It would be fascinating to see if a device wired to the new satellite can access the internet.

(sigh) I realize this is becoming dificult as more and more users have zero devices in the house with Ethernet jacks.

Some models of smartphone and tablet display the hardware MAC address of the WiFi access point (at least my Samsung Galaxy Tab S6-lite does).

Message 7 of 9
DonDżonson
Aspirant

This is beyond me😄

however I did this different way. Connected to router by cable, search in attached devices, look what IP address is, login that way, and updated. After that it appeared as a satellite.

So thanks for help, I couldn't deal with it on my own.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7