Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting cheap Obit router to my Orbi mesh (RBR750)

sethm1
Guide

Connecting cheap Obit router to my Orbi mesh (RBR750)

In order to use GE’s so call smart app for my new washer & dryer, it needs the least security options on the router. Rather the open my network to anyone, I bought a cheap router from Amazon - an Obit N300. Turns out Cox won’t let me (for free) connect that router to the second Ethernet port of the modem.  

So, can I connect the Obit to the Orbi so the Obit has its own network?

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connecting cheap Obit router to my Orbi mesh (RBR750)

WPA2 and AES/PSK is preferred for most wifi devices. Newer devices should be already supporting of it. Older devices, WPA/TPIK would have been more supported however was compromised and succeeded by WPA2 and AES. 
Select the mode that your IoT devices seem to required and use. Contact the IoT Mfr about this as well. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_of_things

Kind of a general term for many client devices that connect to a wifi router system and provides connections to and from the internet and remotely. 

There is mixed WPA2 and WPA3 modes now in v7 FW. Something NG had put in a couple of years ago but had to take back out as the WPA3 mode was causing problems. All fixed now so if you have any newer generation devices like phones or pads or wifi adapters that support WPA3, these devices can use WPA3 while in mixed mode. It's not recommended to set WPA3 only on the main wireless network as there is still some older and current generation devices that do no support WPA3 security mode. Contact your devices Mfr for information regarding what there devices support in this regard. 

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 21

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Certainly

Message 2 of 21
sethm1
Guide

Message 3 of 21
sethm1
Guide

so, no solution.

Message 4 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Please include a link to the WiFi setup instructions for this GE application.  "least security options" does not provide much detail about the problem.  Unless these GE appliances include very old WiFi products, it is a bit of a stretch that GE would require less security than the hundreds of inexpensive Internet of Things products now on the market.

The Dbit (not Obit) N300 on Amazon does not provide a link to the User Manual.  I would think that this strategy would be sufficient:

• Set up the Dbit on a 2.4G WiFi channel far away from the Orbi system 2.4G channel.
  • Give the Dbit WiFi a complicated password that would take a billion years to crack.  (It has to be entered only one time.)
  • See if there is a feature on the Dbit to control access by hardware MAC address. This will allow only the designated GE appliance WiFi to connect.

Seems like a "solution" to me.

Message 5 of 21
sethm1
Guide

Thx. GE wants wap or guest mode. No wpa2psk. No MAC address control.

the manual for the dbit/obit is not helpful.

my modem (Arris SB8200) has 2 Ethernet ports, but when I plug in the Dbit, the Orbi is dropped off.  I am going to call Cox Cable, but if what I see on line is true, some ISP’s don’t allow 2 routers unless I pay add’l fee and or have a biz account. Hope that’s not true. 

Message 6 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

It is almost certainly true that Cox allows only a single customer router on a residential account.

There is absolutely no way that the GE device can detect the presence of MAC address control.  Does GE maintain a customer forum for this product?  I would imagine that customers with a WiFi router newer than 2004 (i.e. 99.9% of existing customers) will no longer support WPA.  How old is this washer/dryer?

Are the  GE instructions available on the web?

The Dbit N300 "Easy Setup Guide" is a lot like the Orbi 'app'.  (pathetic).  It might be useful to access it with a web browser and examine the "More" and "Settings" menus.

Another option: Does the GE appliance have an Ethernet option?  (Some devices come with both WiFi and Ethernet capability).

Message 7 of 21
sethm1
Guide

After spending 40 min with 4 people from cox only to be told it’s not possible to have 2 routers - whether connected to the modem or as a bridge from the Orbi.

Message 8 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

As we used to say, "Bless their heart, they try."  The Cox system allows only one device to be connected to their system.  It can be a computer. Or, it can be a customer owned WiFi router.

But.... the customer is free to connect "the kitchen sink" to their own WiFi router.  i.e. hundreds of Internet of Things gizmos.  computers, televisions, printers, laptops, etc. etc.  and.... the customer can connect routers, WiFi access points, WiFi "extenders".  whatever the hell they want.  As far as Cox is concerned, there is only one device connected to their network and all the other devices are "hidden" behind that device with a process called Network Address Translation (NAT) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation 

I would love to have a link to the setup instructions for this GE feature.

Message 9 of 21
sethm1
Guide

dont know of an actual link. The instructions are within the App.

Here are some tips a GE representative gave me -

1. Check to see if any devices are being blocked on your router.  Please note that our appliances may not show up as  GE when looking for blocked devices.
  2. Turn off the 5 Ghz until the appliance in connected then you can turn it back on.
  3. Check that WPA3 is turned off or disabled on the Orbi router.  Please ensure that WPA2 is selected but not WPA2-PSK or AES.
  4. If fast roaming is on, please also turn that off.
  5. Then try to connect again to the appliance.
  6. If you have trouble connecting still, then please enable a guest network and see if you can connect to it rather than your home wifi during the connection steps in the SmartHQ app.

the orbi does not have just Wpa2

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is loaded on the 7 series? 

If you have v7 FW loaded, there is a separate IoT network that you can configure for your devices if needed. Might check this out:

https://kb.netgear.com/000064267/How-do-I-enable-or-disable-the-Internet-of-things-IoT-network-on-my...
https://kb.netgear.com/000064269/How-do-I-change-the-Internet-of-things-IoT-network-name-SSID-and-pa...

Message 11 of 21
sethm1
Guide

Orbi firmware is: 4.6.143_2.3.12  and no new FW to update.

I don’t see a IoT option in the Wireless settings.

Will setting up IoT be more secure then as a guest network? 

Checking yes for guest network on the router did allow the appliances connect to the GE’s App. I Just don’t want to go into the routers settings and enable guest, then disable multiple times a week. 

and turns out my son has a WiFi lamp (using Alexa), so IoT intriguing.

thx

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

To get the IoT features, you'll need to update the system to the v7 FW linked here:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-...

Message 13 of 21
sethm1
Guide

Thx. Big jump from 4 to 7. Wonder how I missed 5 & 6.

I have 2 satellites - does it matter which updated first?

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

There never was 5 or 6 versions for the 750 series. 

Yes, update the RBS first, then RBR lastly. Can follow this process:

Procedure to Manually Firmware Update Orbi and Nighthawk Mesh systems

Message 15 of 21
sethm1
Guide

Forget to also ask. My downstairs pc is hardwired to the Orbi. My upstairs wireless.

can I upgrade the FW from either PC?  If does not matter, is good to know as eventually that downstairs PC to be retired.  We rarely use it.

thx,

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Wired is recommended for sending any FW updates. 

Message 17 of 21
sethm1
Guide

Success in firmware update on RBR & both satellites.

Oddly the GE smart App able to connect to the dryer. The washer is next. I say oddly as the router (in the IoT settings) did not like WPA-psk - but was able complete the set up using WPA2-psk. With the old firmware I could not set up the GE app with WPA2-psk. And the GE tech says only use WPA. Do use 2 or psk.

any insight on above would be helpful.

is there a good source that explains the use of IoT for the layperson?

and any new settings in this new firmware that I should be aware of? So far in lurking about do not see much changes from FW version 4. Except of course the IoT.

thx

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

WPA2 and AES/PSK is preferred for most wifi devices. Newer devices should be already supporting of it. Older devices, WPA/TPIK would have been more supported however was compromised and succeeded by WPA2 and AES. 
Select the mode that your IoT devices seem to required and use. Contact the IoT Mfr about this as well. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_of_things

Kind of a general term for many client devices that connect to a wifi router system and provides connections to and from the internet and remotely. 

There is mixed WPA2 and WPA3 modes now in v7 FW. Something NG had put in a couple of years ago but had to take back out as the WPA3 mode was causing problems. All fixed now so if you have any newer generation devices like phones or pads or wifi adapters that support WPA3, these devices can use WPA3 while in mixed mode. It's not recommended to set WPA3 only on the main wireless network as there is still some older and current generation devices that do no support WPA3 security mode. Contact your devices Mfr for information regarding what there devices support in this regard. 

Message 19 of 21
sethm1
Guide

Thx!

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7