Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connection Strength in RBK852

Sam_Cop
Guide

Connection Strength in RBK852

Hello,

I have 1 gbps connectivity with my WIFI system on a ORBI RBR50 + 2 RBS50. I had to buy an extra RBS50 satellite since I had a poor connectivity between the router and the satellite. WIth "Daisy-Chain-Topology", I can have all the router/satellites with good connectivity

I would like to upgrade to the RBK852/RBK853. My Questions are around is:

1. Is the connection between Router/Satellite better than RBK53? This means that I can get just 1 more RBK850 satellite with the RBK850 router.
  2. Can I get close to 1 gbps on Wifi 6 devices, like iPhone 11s, iPad Pro etc. (atleast!) in real world scenarios
  3. Do we get better customizations when compared the previous generation of orbi rbk50 system

Thank you very much for your support

Cheers

Sampath

Message 1 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

@Sam_Cop wrote:
  1. Can I get close to 1 gbps on Wifi 6 devices, like iPhone 11s, iPad Pro etc. (atleast!) in real world scenarios

Sorry, no.  IMO believing or hoping for speeds like that is not realistic.  It's akin to hoping for 400Mbps on 2.4Ghz networks (the theoretical maximum, but real world 2.4Ghz speeds never got close to that).  This Netgear KB article predates AX and states "up to 866 Mbps" for AC: https://kb.netgear.com/31211/At-what-speed-and-bandwidth-can-my-Orbi-system-transmit-data

What you can likely expect is that AX will give you better speeds than AC.  I personally get 300-400 Mbps over AX using my iPhone 11 Pro (wifi 6) right up to my Orbi and my cable down speeds are a bit higher than that (just under 1Gbps limit for my plan).  Many postings here are from Orbi users complaining that their Orbi is limiting their wired speeds, so your mileage will vary.  Some have had success getting close to their 1Gbps plan limit using Orbi just in AP mode and with other features disabled.  Once you add wireless, it can only slow down further.  I also suspect that handheld, battery-operated devices likes phones are not going to be optimal and have internal bottlenecks when measuring network speed rates.

Message 2 of 6
kildare
Luminary

@Sam_Cop wrote:
  1. Can I get close to 1 gbps on Wifi 6 devices, like iPhone 11s, iPad Pro etc. (atleast!) in real world scenarios

About iPhone 11 and WiFi 6 see this video from this point:

https://youtu.be/unc36O66Ef0?t=1062

Message 3 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

@Mikey94025 wrote:

What you can likely expect is that AX will give you better speeds than AC.  I personally get 300-400 Mbps over AX using my iPhone 11 Pro (wifi 6) right up to my Orbi and my cable down speeds are a bit higher than that (just under 1Gbps limit for my plan).

Oops, I realized my 6 always-transmitting Nest cameras might be slowing my network down so I disabled them and reran the speedtest app on my iPhone.  Now I'm getting high 500s vs. 300s-400s, so a bit better.  Recognize there are likely many factors in every environment preventing anything close to 1Gbps optimal speeds, especially over wireless.

Message 4 of 6
Sam_Cop
Guide

Thanks a lot for you responses.

Could you alslo comment on Qs 1 & 3.

Cheers

Sam

Message 5 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

Sorry, I don't have definitive answers for questions #1 and #3.

#1 -  From my personal experience (of only one), it seems the new AX Orbi covers at least as well, if not better, than the AC Orbi.  I recommend you can start with just one satellite and see what happens.  I have personally added 2 additional satellites for my small home, but more to have ethernet connections easily available and because I'm obsessed.

#3 -  The AX Orbi offers less options than the AC Orbi.  There are fewer options or options missing, like the AC Orbi's beamforming and selecting star or linear satellite modes.  The new AC seems to further push the "let Orbi do it automatically for you since we know better" model.  So far it's worked fine for me (only one experience).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7