Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Constant buffering RBR750

Harrme
Aspirant

Constant buffering RBR750

I have an RBR750 with two satellites. The home is 3,000 sq. ft. The router is in the basement office. Two satellites on the main level. I added the second one after my smart tv on the main level continued to buffer. Now, the tv drops off the new satellite and continues to connect to the basement router causing non-stop buffering again. Is there any way to assign connections?
Message 1 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Constant buffering RBR750

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Basements are not recommended places for the RBR. All that concrete and steel will cause problems like your seeing, and inhibit good wifi signal travel. Main level or 2nd level is recommended. 

For that size of home, you may have too many RBS deployed. The RBR and just one RBS would be enough. 

Too Much Wifi: https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Message 2 of 29
Harrme
Aspirant

Firmware is V4.6.14.3
The modem was provided by Spectrum (our only choice) I’ll have to find the model number. The LAN cable was supplied with modem. Not sure if it’s CAT6. Both satellites are more than 30’. I’m in western North Carolina. The basement is more like a main level (daylight basement). That’s where the main cable, power, water etc., comes in. The modem and RBR750 are just inside the wall. The 1st satellite is on the complete opposite end of the house on the upper level. When I couldn’t get a constant tv signal, I purchased the second satellite and placed it on the upper level about mid-way of house. It’s about 6 feet from tv. When I first set it up, the tv connected to it and we didn’t get buffering at all. Today we were back to buffering and I noticed it had connected to the router again. I checked a moment ago and it was connected to the other satellite. I have a detached garage/shop and the first satellite covers it as well, which is why I positioned it all the way at the opposite end of the house. It’s about 750 sq. ft. and sits about 8 feet from house.
Message 3 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets turn OFF one RBS and move the other say to 30 feet from of the RBR. 

Message 4 of 29
Harrme
Aspirant

Just checked the LAN cable from modem to RBR. It says .5E
Also, I have a Wi-Fi camera hub connected to the first satellite by Ethernet cable.
Message 5 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok 5E is ok. Might get a CAT6 later on.

Check the model # of the ISP modem when you can. 

If there isn't anything connected to the 2nd RBS, turn it OFF. 

Message 6 of 29
Phyber
Luminary

The RBS 750's have two Ethernet ports. Connect one to the tv for a "hardwired" connection and see if that improves the situation. Both of my RBS 750 satellites are hardwired back to the router and we don't have any buffering issues for 2 of the 4 tv's that connect via WiFi.  2-story, 3500 sq.ft, 2 1/2 acres.

Message 7 of 29
Harrme
Aspirant

We have a Wi-Fi thermostat, security camera base, alarm panel, pool cleaner, Peloton bike, phones, laptops, tablets (two people) and they all are split between the RBR and both satellites. I don’t understand how they decide which to connect to.
Message 8 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

It's up to them to connect to the best signal they detect based on signal strength, noise and configuration. Having too much signals can confuse devices and pick a worse signal. 

Message 9 of 29
Harrme
Aspirant

If I’m using a Roku device, where would the Ethernet cable plug on the tv side? I have Sony Bravia tv, sound bar and a Roku device.
Message 10 of 29
Phyber
Luminary

What I do is point all of my 2.4GHz only devices to the Guest Network, which has its own SSID and pw. That way only those devices can connect to the Guest Network and I let the router decide on which band to allow the other devices, which are mainly 5GHz to connect to.

Message 11 of 29
Harrme
Aspirant

As an update, I moved the new satellite to the tv cabinet/stand and connected the Roku via Ethernet cat6 cable. No buffering anymore. Now, only our mobile devices are having issues. My iPhone can be 8 feet from the second satellite, confirmed as connected to that satellite, appears to have full signal, but can’t get on the internet. Or once I do get on, after a few minutes it goes to continuous buffering. Same for my wife’s phone.
Message 12 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to disable any MAC Address randomizers on phones and pads while at home:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

Message 13 of 29
Harrme
Aspirant

Thank you. I just gave that a try but it didn’t seem to help. Went back on the internet and within 3 minutes it started to buffer continuously.
Message 14 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Power OFF the phones for 1 minute.

Lets try turning OFF just one of the RBS.

Also try this as well, Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS to 64. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Power ON the phones then test again...

Message 15 of 29
McLong
Apprentice

Have your tried adjusting the wifi power down to 50%?
Sorry if this question was already asked but I didn't see this in a cursory read.
Message 16 of 29
Harrme
Aspirant

No I haven’t. Not even sure how to accomplish that. I just spent an hour on with tech support. In the end, they told me to monitor for 24 hours and let them know if it didn’t correct problem. Within 10 minutes the problem was back.
Message 17 of 29
McLong
Apprentice

I hate to jump in the middle while Furrye38 is already providing support but it's something you might want to try inbetween his recommendations.

I run my 850 transmission power @ 50% for 2.4 GHZ and 25% for 5 GHZ and it has helped immensely. Screenshot attached.

On the router gui navigate to Advanced -> Advanced -> Wireless Settings:
Set Transmit Power Control to 50% or 25%

Edit: spelling
Message 18 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend turning OFF the RBS temporarily and checking for this with just the RBR alone to see if problem still happens, if so, something on the RBR may need to be checked. 

Is SIP ALG disabled or enabled on the RBR under Advanced tab/WAN Setup? 

@Harrme wrote:
I have an RBR750 with two satellites. The home is 3,000 sq. ft. The router is in the basement office. Two satellites on the main level. I added the second one after my smart tv on the main level continued to buffer. Now, the tv drops off the new satellite and continues to connect to the basement router causing non-stop buffering again. Is there any way to assign connections?

Message 19 of 29
Harrme
Aspirant

Turned off RBS. No change.
Message 20 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try setting manual channel 1 on 2.4Ghz and 40 channel on 5Ghz.

Enable SIP ALG on the RBR under Advanced tab/WAN Setup.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 21 of 29
Harrme
Aspirant

So….after weeks of suffering thru Netgear techs, senior tech then Level Two tech, they decide to send me a new router. It arrived today. I followed all the instructions on setting it up. Now, router has solid white light and I can’t access my Orbi app because it says it can’t find my router. My devices will find and connect to the new network, just won’t work. My Level Two tech is off and I won’t hear back from him for a few days. Meanwhile I’m stuck with no functioning internet.
Message 22 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 23 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

@Harrme wrote:
Now, router has solid white light and I can’t access my Orbi app because it says it can’t find my router.

Is it correct to assume that you are attempting to Set Up a New Orbi System (bottom item on the drop down menu)?

According to this web page, a solid white light means that the router is ready to set up.

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite-mean 

I am totally old fashioned and prefer to configure routers using a computer connected to one of the LAN ports with a cable.

(There are so many features that are not accessible using the Orbi 'app' that I have never grown accustomed to using it.)

Could you explain more about:

@Harrme wrote:
 I followed all the instructions on setting it up.

Did you use the app? computer browser? ...

Message 24 of 29
Harrme
Aspirant

Not sure of manufacturer. It is from Spectrum. Model is EU2251.
Yes. Power off everything by unplugging modem. Plug back in. Get blue connection lights. Power up RBR , goes through pulsing white light Meanwhile I followed prompts on app (set up admin etc). When light went steady white I pushed the blue button on app. It directs to wait while my devices is connecting. Eventually it says Orbi router could not be found. If I go into my phone’s settings, it shows I’m connected to network, but no internet.
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7