Reply

Dell Latitude 7480 and Orbi RBK853

VerneArase
Apprentice

Dell Latitude 7480 and Orbi RBK853

My wife is now working at home, and her Dell Latitude 7480 isn't able to see my Orbi RBK853's networks.

 

Has anyone seen this before, and is there any solution?

 

-- Thanks, Verne

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Dell Latitude 7480 and Orbi RBK853

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

 

Ensure the wifi adapter drivers ON the Dell are updated. 

 

Doesn't see the SSID name at all? 

Any special characters in the SSID Name? 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR700, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 2 of 14
VerneArase
Apprentice

Re: Dell Latitude 7480 and Orbi RBK853


@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

 

Ensure the wifi adapter drivers ON the Dell are updated. 

 

Doesn't see the SSID name at all? 

Any special characters in the SSID Name? 


Orbi firmware V3.2.10.11_1.2.12

 

Xfinity CGM4140COM firmware CGM4140COM_4.0p3s1_PROD_sey.

 

Doesn't see Fillory or Fillory-Guest.

 

I'll check after she finishes work to see if there are new drivers.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Dell Latitude 7480 and Orbi RBK853

Let us know...

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR700, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 4 of 14
ekhalil
Master

Re: Dell Latitude 7480 and Orbi RBK853

Please check your Orbi's radio channels in the web GUI (orbilogin.com) under >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> Wireless Setup >> 

Seems that Orbi is working on the high 5 GHz band channels and your wife's laptop's wireless driver does not support this.

Please choose different channels in the web GUI and see if this will give you an improvement.

My Setup Internet Fiber ONT 250↓/250↑ISP Telenor | Wifi Router Orbi RBR850 + RBS850 + 2x RBS750 + 3xRBS350, Wired/Wireless BH / Orbi RBR50 + 6x RBS50 + RBS40V + RBS50Y, Wired/Wireless BH | Switches NG GS208Time Zone CET (Sweden)

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Dell Latitude 7480 and Orbi RBK853

Wouldn't it even see the SSID coming from the 2.4Ghz radio though? Most laptop wifi adapters are dual band supporting. Thought would be interesting if this LT was 5Ghz only supporting. I kind of doubt that though. 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR700, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 6 of 14
ekhalil
Master

Re: Dell Latitude 7480 and Orbi RBK853


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Wouldn't it even see the SSID coming from the 2.4Ghz radio though? Most laptop wifi adapters are dual band supporting. Thought would be interesting if this LT was 5Ghz only supporting. I kind of doubt that though. 


Can be that Orbi is using channels above 11 on 2.4 GHz and the laptop's driver is not able to see that either?

It's very easy to troubleshoot this issue. Please change the channels and test. I've seen this issue in many old and new Windows laptops.

My Setup Internet Fiber ONT 250↓/250↑ISP Telenor | Wifi Router Orbi RBR850 + RBS850 + 2x RBS750 + 3xRBS350, Wired/Wireless BH / Orbi RBR50 + 6x RBS50 + RBS40V + RBS50Y, Wired/Wireless BH | Switches NG GS208Time Zone CET (Sweden)

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Dell Latitude 7480 and Orbi RBK853

True. Most Orbi systems in the USA don't go above channel 11 and are not available for select if this user is in the USA. I'm aware of outside of the USA, channels above 11 maybe availalbe. 

 

Hopfully changing channels will be telling. 

 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR700, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Dell Latitude 7480 and Orbi RBK853

Let us know if you have seen any progress or not. You may need to get a hold of NG support and get further help and information on this. 


@VerneArase wrote:


Orbi firmware V3.2.10.11_1.2.12

 

Xfinity CGM4140COM firmware CGM4140COM_4.0p3s1_PROD_sey.

 

Doesn't see Fillory or Fillory-Guest.

 

I'll check after she finishes work to see if there are new drivers.


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR700, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 9 of 14
VerneArase
Apprentice

Re: Dell Latitude 7480 and Orbi RBK853

Yeah, I had to disable 802.11ax <ouch!> to get the darn Dell to see the network.

 

Unfortunately, the wife's working at home on a Dell with out-of-date everything, and I don't have administrative access to update the Intel wifi driver, and her IT folks are reluctant to update the machine because of the current "stay-at-home" lockdown in Illinois and the fact that any modifications may brick her machine.

 

I wouldn't mind so much except that the main reason I bought a wifi 6 mesh systemw as to increase the backhaul speed (my iPhone 11 Pro Max is my only wifi 6 device), and you can't disable ax on the access point without disabling it in the backhaul.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Dell Latitude 7480 and Orbi RBK853

Ah...sounds like out of date stuff on the laptop then. 

Well glad disabling if AX helped. 

One thing to try, does her LT have a LAN port? If it does you could have her connect it via wired LAN then you could re-enable AX mode. 

 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR700, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 11 of 14
VerneArase
Apprentice

Re: Dell Latitude 7480 and Orbi RBK853

Unfortunately her work area is quite a distance from the satellite, and the ethernet cable would have to cross a wood floor where there is public traffic.



Once she returns to the office, her IT guys can safely update her drivers - or get her a new laptop - I'm aquiring a define dislike for that laptop.

 

We brought her work monitor home, and it's 1080p - in order to get it working, I had to return to her office and get this wierd Dell docking box which accepted the plug coming out of the video cable from the monitor, and had two HDMI ports, a bunch of USB ports, and a female USB 3 port.

 

I tried the HDMI cables and they didn't work, but when I plugged in a USB 3 cable she suddenly had video.

 

Zounds ... who would think that USB 3 had sufficient bandwidth for both a USB hub and a 1080p video signal - and who would think of running video over USB when you have HDMI ports?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 12 of 14
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Dell Latitude 7480 and Orbi RBK853


@VerneArase wrote:

Yeah, I had to disable 802.11ax <ouch!> to get the darn Dell to see the network.


Have you also already set your CTS/RTS thresholds for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz to 2347?  I found that fixed some wifi compatibility issues with my devices (with AX still toggled on).

 

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Dell Latitude 7480 and Orbi RBK853

Even though USB 3.0 is fast. Very fast for data xfer between drives, it still can't really hold a candle to DVI or HDMI for video. 


@VerneArase wrote:

Unfortunately her work area is quite a distance from the satellite, and the ethernet cable would have to cross a wood floor where there is public traffic.



Once she returns to the office, her IT guys can safely update her drivers - or get her a new laptop - I'm aquiring a define dislike for that laptop.

 

We brought her work monitor home, and it's 1080p - in order to get it working, I had to return to her office and get this wierd Dell docking box which accepted the plug coming out of the video cable from the monitor, and had two HDMI ports, a bunch of USB ports, and a female USB 3 port.

 

I tried the HDMI cables and they didn't work, but when I plugged in a USB 3 cable she suddenly had video.

 

Zounds ... who would think that USB 3 had sufficient bandwidth for both a USB hub and a 1080p video signal - and who would think of running video over USB when you have HDMI ports?


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CAX80 Modem Mode |  Wifi Router MK83+ (Router Mode) | and RBK853 (Router Mode) | Switches NG GS105/8, GS308v3, GS110MX and XS505M | Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: MK63, MR6150, R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, R9000, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, XR700, XR1000, EX7500/EX7700

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1363 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E