Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Device Losing Connection In Between Satellites RBR850

parkdj808
Aspirant

Device Losing Connection In Between Satellites RBR850

I have the RBR850 with router and satellite connected via Ethernet cable. Recently I added a second satellite which is connected wirelessly. When I walk around my house my phone is losing wifi connection when I’m between the satellites. I have to go back close to the router in order to sign back on. The firmware is updated. Any help or guidance anyone can provide? When I only had two pieces (router and 1 satellite) in smoothly transitioned my signal between the 2 without ever dropping. The second satellite is only 40’ from the first satellite and about 100’ from the router.
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Device Losing Connection In Between Satellites RBR850

1. What actual firmware version is on the router and the satellites

2. What modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

3. tough to know but is the wireless satellite connecting back to the other satellite or the router? 

4. Are any other devices having issues or just the one? 

Message 2 of 8
parkdj808
Aspirant

1. V4.6.14.3
2. TBD spectrum internet
3. Is there a way to confirm? I would guess it is connecting to the other satellite as it is slightly closer and has less walls between the other satellite than it does the router.
4. Yes, we noticed this issue on multiple family members’ iPhones. Phone will lose wifi connection somewhere moving between router and satellite at times. Used to be flawless when only had one satellite. The house is 1800 square feet.
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

What spectrum  modem is it? 

Is the satellite that is hardwired in running through a switch or directly of the RBR router? 

What happens if you swap the satellites?

Message 4 of 8
parkdj808
Aspirant

Spectrum modem EU2251
Hardwired satellite is running directly to RBR router
I have not tried swapping the satellites? If I do so, it will automatically set up correct?

Have you heard of other’s experiencing this issue much with devices dropping when in between range?
Message 5 of 8
parkdj808
Aspirant

And actually the dropping of conection often happens between router and satellite (either).
Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

1800sq ft shouldn't need a router +2 satellites. I can cover my home (3300sqft) with a router and 1 satellite without issues. 

You might actually have to much coverage which is hurting roaming. 

Did you try swapping them? 

Message 7 of 8
parkdj808
Aspirant

I have not tried swapping satellites yet. Will try next. If I swap, it’s just plug and play? Nothing else I need to do?
I added the second satellite because my signal was super weak in my kitchen area. And no signal at all in the backyard area just outside my kitchen. My ring camera outside the kitchen could not even connect. After adding a second satellite, it corrected this issue.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7