Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Email log fails to send on RBK752

Huskeruser
Aspirant

Email log fails to send on RBK752

Model:RBK752

Firmware:7.2.6.21

My parents have a RBK752 and it fails to send email logs.  It had sent them to me since originally getting the router a few years ago, but stopped mid 2023.  I was finally able to update to the latest firmware version 7.2.6.21 a few weeks ago and the issue still persists.

I personally have have RBK852 and email logging works just fine.  It is also using the same firmware version that the RBK752 is using.  Both routers are using Charter/Spectrum internet service, but in different states.  I have tried various email accounts from spectrum and gmail and the RBK752 still fails to send.

Before it quit working, I was having the logs sent to the same email address and used identical settings.  They are both using mail.twc.com and port 587 for the outgoing mail settings.  The authentication box is unchecked.

Scanning through old posts, it seems a few users have similar issue on the RBR750 series.  Is that feature just not working on those models?  Or are there other settings I should consider?

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Email log fails to send on RBK752

Possible the email service could have blocked the emails due to being considered spam. I've seen this before. Somethings ISPs consider constant emailings spam sometimes. If the 8 series is working and the 7 series isn't, something where the 7 series resides is no longer working. 

Try manually sending the logs using the Send button, then go into the log menu on the 7 series and look at the log entry here. WIll give status on the results of sending the log. Post the out put here.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

As FURRYE38 said - Check your Administration / Logs to detect errors using your email settings. Logs there will identify if your email gateway is configured incorrectly or if it is getting blocked.

For example, gmail will often block emails sent programmatically but you can setup an Application Password to do it correctly and reliably: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

Message 3 of 6
Huskeruser
Aspirant

I had a chance this evening to log onto the router.  Haven't done any rebooting yet since I am not at the location and doing the work remotely.

Here is what the log shows when I try to send it.

When using the email address that works on 8 series and mail.twc.com and port 25 - the error reads.  Authentication is not on.

[email failed] myemailaddresshere sender rejected. The email address you are sending as must matc Tuesday, Jan 16,2024 22:18:08

When trying gmail address and gmail smtp server with port 587 and no authentication

[email failed] -5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. For more information, go to, Tuesday, Jan 16,2024 22:30:22

Using gmail address with smtp gmail server with port 587 and authentication

[email failed] -5.7.9 Application-specific password required. For more information, go to, Tuesday, Jan 16,2024 22:35:27

When I tried the gmail with imap or pop3 I got the following.  I used port 993 for imap and port 995 for pop3

[email failed] internet connection is dropped, Tuesday, Jan 16,2024 22:32:07

I didn't try any other google two factor authentication stuff.

I will try restarting the cable modem and router later this week if these messages don't help.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the power cycle OFF then back ON first, then check the logs again. If messages are still there, then something with the email services or email configuration has changed and the router can't send the logs correctly. 

You can try google mail 2FA:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Enable-Email-Logging-and-Router-Reb...

This worked last time I used it. Been a while though.

Message 5 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

This is my Orbi configuration (orbilogin.com / Advanced / Security / E-mail) that successfully sends logs via Gmail.  I have 2FA enable for my normal Google account but use an app password for my Orbi and HP printer email gateway config.  Instructions for app passwords setup: https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en

Primary-Email Address: USERNAME@gmail.com
Outgoing Mail Server = smtp.gmail.com
Outgoing Mail Server Port Number = 465
Requires authorization = CHECKED
User Name = USERNAME@gmail.com
Password = <app password>

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation