Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ethernet Backhaul Question with the RBK753

jjlsetter
Aspirant

Ethernet Backhaul Question with the RBK753

I'm considering getting the RBK753 for house and I have a question about setting up the ethernet backhaul. Can I have one of the satellite's connected to the router via ethernet backhaul and the second connected to the mesh network wirelessly? Is it and all or nothing situation and I'd just have to do the backhaul wirelessly or can I do that mixed setup? Where the satellite's would be located I only would be able to hardwire one of them, but I'd like to at least be able to do that.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
pkgadd
Apprentice

Re: Ethernet Backhaul Question with the RBK753

That should work just fine (based on my experience with the RBK853 though), I'm actually doing the same (one satellite hardwired, the other using a wireless backhaul).

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

Yes you can do that. I've done it with a set of RBK750's and it worked fine

Message 3 of 7
jjlsetter
Aspirant

Ok so here’s the plan:

ONT > RBR750 > Unmanaged Switch > RBS750 1 (wired backhaul)

Then

RBR750 > RBS750 2 (wireless backhaul)

It shouldn’t make a difference that the wired satellite is connected via the switch, correct?

Message 4 of 7
pkgadd
Apprentice

That works just fine, a switch is basically invisible to either side anyways.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@jjlsetter wrote:

It shouldn’t make a difference that the wired satellite is connected via the switch, correct?

That is correct.  It shouldn't make a difference.  But, sometimes it does.  Going back 5-6 years, there have been reports of "unmanaged switches" affecting satellite connection to the router.  If there is a problem, it will emerge quickly and can be diagnosed by temporarily removing the switch and connecting the satellite directly.  When that fixes the problem, then (duh) the switch is the culprit.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Can depend on brand and model of un-managed switch can cabling used though. Most Un-managed switches should work. Green Ethernet switches features can be a factor. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7