Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Factory Reset Orbi RBR 850 and 1 RBS 850 Satellite

muusicman
Aspirant

Factory Reset Orbi RBR 850 and 1 RBS 850 Satellite

I’m preparing to reset my Orbi and Satellite. I’ve already spoken with someone on Reddit about it and I think he may also be a member here. Anyway, I just have 1 Satellite with my main Orbi RBR 850 Router. The reset process does seem easy and rather straight forward as it says to log in with my credentials onto the Orbi app once I’ve reset them and follow the prompts on the app. My Fiber ISP is a small local company but it’s 1 gig so it’s fast. I also have an un-managed Netgear 16 port Ethernet switch for more additional ports. I know there’s a specific way to connect it. I watched a video but I wanted to have some confirmation here. I’ll wait until I get a reply back here before I do anything.

Thanks in advance. You all are always so kind and patient and I truly do appreciate that. Wish there was more of that in this world. 😀😀😀

Message 1 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Factory Reset Orbi RBR 850 and 1 RBS 850 Satellite

Most of us who watch this forum are very comfortable setting up an Orbi system using a computer that is wired directly to one of the LAN ports on the router.  "piece of cake".  Simply open a web browser to http://orbilogin.net . Ignore instructions to use the Orbi app and click on the link in tiny type at the bottom of the screen, "I do not have a smart phone."
(Yes, we ALL have smart phones, but we damn well want to use the web interface - take that, Netgear!)

The only critical part about wiring is that the unmanaged switch must be connected to one of the router LAN ports.  It should not be between the router and the Internet Service Provider (ISP) fiber device.

Message 2 of 24
muusicman
Aspirant

Nice! Yeah I’ll set the RBR 850 up with Orbilogin.net. Hoping it’s rather straight forward. Once I hit the reset button on the main Orbi I hope the website will open up.
Message 3 of 24
muusicman
Aspirant

Are there any settings I need to be aware of while setting it up or will that all come after the fact?
Message 4 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

Assuming you have unbent a paperclip and watched videos such as this one:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings 

@muusicman wrote:
Are there any settings I need to be aware of while setting it up or will that all come after the fact?

The only "gotcha" involves those customers who have an Internet Service Provider (ISP) that requires a login (user name and password)

People often do not realize that setting up a WiFi system is entirely optional. Plug it in. Power it up. Connect using either Ethernet cable or the WiFi credentials printed on the product label (bottom of the case).  Do not set anything. From the WiFi names that appear in my neighborhood, it is obvious that many of them have done exactly this.

I, personally, want the house WiFi to have the credentials (SSID/password) that I have been using for the past 20 years so that every WiFi device in the house will connect automatically.  And... so that I can "go back" to the previous WiFi router and everything will again connect.  That obviously requires configuring the system.  I also like to assign specific IP addresses to devices (a bit OCD). And, I want to use specific DNS resolvers (Google and CloudFlare). etc. etc.

Most of the settings I want to change are not available in the Orbi 'app', so I am pretty much committed to the web interface.

Message 5 of 24
muusicman
Aspirant

Are you on Reddit by chance?
Message 6 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

@muusicman wrote:
Are you on Reddit by chance?

I have a login, but log into Reddit very seldom. Never to look at Orbi topics.

Message 7 of 24
muusicman
Aspirant

Ok well. I was thinking it’s easier for me to chat 1 on 1 than to wait for a message lol. I’m very nervous about doing this. Thought if you could talk me through it as I do it.
Message 8 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

If you know someone with a teenager, they do this sort of thing automatically.

From this conversation, it is not clear (to me) what prompted the need to reset the system?

Message 9 of 24
muusicman
Aspirant

It seemingly has been giving me a little issue, so I thought maybe a reinstall would be good. I had a different ISP when it was forest setup.
Message 10 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

A Factory Reset and reconfiguration are seen as the option of last resort on the forum.  In my case, it would take over two hours to key in all the changes I have made (and correct all the inevitable typing errors).

A brief description of the specific issues since changing ISPs might prompt someone to suggest a solution less drastic than a Factory Reset.

Message 11 of 24
muusicman
Aspirant

Seems the speeds are a bit slower.
Message 12 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

Hmmm. If powering the system off and then back on again doesn't improve things, I am not confident that a Factory Reset would be any different.  Is the speed difference noticeable?

Message 13 of 24
muusicman
Aspirant

Is more ping related.
Message 14 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

"ping related" is not very much to go on.  It is often a conclusion based on reports from Internet gaming activity, but could be any number of things.  Pinging what? On the Internet?  On the LAN?  Using what to generate the ICMP (ping) packets?

Message 15 of 24
muusicman
Aspirant

Sorry I wasn’t clear. When I would run a speedtest using the Orbi app from the time I got my Fiber Connection until just about a week ago, the ping on the speedtest would say 2 or 3 ms. Now for whatever reason it’s saying 7. Something.

I know I sound stupid! Again, I’m sorry.
Message 16 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

Ah.  Netgear includes a version of Ookla Speed Test in the Orbi router firmware.  Alas, like so many things, Netgear provides no useful information about how they do this.  Could it be

When the user requests a Speed Test, the Orbi router performs a test and then displays the results, either on the router itself or on the Orbi 'app'.  (The speed test does not actually execute on the smartphone.  The app simply reports results generated on the router.)

Unfortunately, in addition to not providing information about which version of speed test is being performed, Netgear also does not display which server was being used to perform the test.  (Ookla claims to have 16,000 servers around the world which are used to perform the test:

https://www.ookla.com/network#:~:text=The%20accuracy%20and%20high-quality,host%20our%20Speedtest%20s... 

The change could be something as simple as the Orbi router selecting a different server for tests.

I like to perform speed tests using a computer wired to the router.  This eliminates any WiFi latency effects and also displays which server has been used to perform the test.  (The user can also specify which server to use.)

I also enjoy comparing the various speed testing applications, including:

Message 17 of 24
muusicman
Aspirant

Very interesting you said speedtest picking a different server. Last week I think it was when I was noticing slower download speeds… one evening I was in the Orbi app and it said there was a firmware update. I know Orbi generally when firmware updates are rolled out that they always seem to update in the middle of the night. I know this because I’ve never seen that there was an update notification in the app before. I’m assuming because Orbi checks and then downloads the update at night while I’m asleep??

New issue. I did indeed do a factory reset on my Orbi just a while ago. My mom came down and helped me. Anyway, now when I go to my network connections on my iPhone there is a connection that is the same as the one I’m currently connected to except this one says IoT next to it. I think I know what it is… it’s the fiber modem my ISP brought to my house when they hooked me up. What I don’t understand is why it’s showing it as a network connection. It is just a modem to my knowledge… it doesn’t have a router built in. I asked them one time and they in fact did confirm it is just a modem and not a modem/router combo. It’s the Calix 803G if you’d like to Google it. I never saw it in my network connections on my phone before the Orbi reset. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
Message 18 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi 850 firmware now includes a WiFi network intended for Internet of Things (IoT) devices.

See page 57 of the  User Manual:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK852/RBK852_UM_EN.pdf 

Message 19 of 24
muusicman
Aspirant

I’m pretty certain I had the new firmware before I did the factory reset today. Never saw it before until after the reset.

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/17csni4/post_orbi_850_factory_reset

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/17bq19h/power_cycle_calix_fiber_modem_and_orbi_rbr_850

Message 20 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

How long will it take to log into the Orbi web interface and check?

Message 21 of 24
muusicman
Aspirant

Hey Crimpon,
Sorry man… just now seeing this.
I forgot what you wanted me to do here lol!
Message 22 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

@muusicman wrote:
 there is a connection that is the same as the one I’m currently connected to except this one says IoT next to it. I think I know what it is… it’s the fiber modem my ISP brought to my house when they hooked me up.

The question was in regard to the mysterious "IoT" network.  The new firmware for the Orbi includes that feature.  I was asking if you could log into the web interface on the Orbi and verify that it is turned on for 2.4G.

Message 23 of 24
muusicman
Aspirant

Ooh ok. At the moment I’m not at my PC. My speeds are messing with me again right now. Seemed ok this morning. I think Orbi hates me. Haha!! Not really low but lower than usual. Did a test on the desktop and it was barely getting 900. Not sure about all this. Maybe time of evening?

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/17ed744/apology_post

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7