Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Fiber Optic + Meshwifi Orbi Pro Wifi 6, how do you do that? Lost...

Mikestarting
Aspirant

Fiber Optic + Meshwifi Orbi Pro Wifi 6, how do you do that? Lost...

Hi dear community,
it's my 1st post here Smiley Surprised  I'm new... And don't have huge skills with hardware.
Maybe someone can help me, this must be something frequent: how and if there's a solution for this situation, hopefully I explain it correctly:

For our small business, I'd like to use the Orbi Pro AX6000 Wifi 6 Mesh system. We have a fiber optic connection, it's the swiss standard (called XGS-PON, no idea if this is an international standard, in attachment you see how this looks like). The ideal world would be to connect directly this router to the ISP modem / router (then in bridge mode), and keep the Orbi as a router with all great features I'm looking for..
But the ISP only recognizes some routers models, I think they need to recognize and validate the router (no idea why). You find the list here: https://www.swisscom.ch/dam/swisscom/en/ws/documents/E_BBCS-Documents/e_bbcs_supporting-documentprov... 

And sadly no netgear here at all, no Orbi Mesh Wifi possible ... So the only solution I see:
- buy a "recognised" modem/router (for example the Zyxel ax7501-b0), use it as router, then use the Orbi Mesh Wifi only as Acces Points - loosing all great Orbi features.. Not so great

Am I missing something?
Thanks for your time, wish you a nice day!
Mike

Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Fiber Optic + Meshwifi Orbi Pro Wifi 6, how do you do that? Lost...

Not sure about the list but most fibre companies have an ONT. That'd be a box that converts the fibre signal to ethernet. If they supply you with one of those, you can directly connect the orbi. If they don't, then you might need the gateway they recommend. but you're not required to put the orbi in access point mode. You could simply put the orbi's ip address into the gateway's DMZ. Then it automatically forwards all traffic. 

Message 2 of 3
Mikestarting
Aspirant

Re: Fiber Optic + Meshwifi Orbi Pro Wifi 6, how do you do that? Lost...

Thanks a lot @plemans for your answer, I'll for sure check both methods you mention!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7