Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Frequent Wi-Fi Drop RBK 852

muusicman
Aspirant

Frequent Wi-Fi Drop RBK 852

I have been experiencing what is seemingly Wi-Fi drops several times a day for the last 4 years since I’ve been an Orbi user. I’ve not seen the offline light pop on on the main router as it’s in the room with me but from time to time I’ll go to a page and it’ll just sit there. If I close the window and go to it again it’ll work. Wondering if advice from this post may help me??

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/Possible-solution-for-Orbi-dropping-c...)
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you mean by drops? Do devices not connect to the Orbi signal? Or just can't get any internet thru the system? 

Is the light on the main router unit PINK? Same thing on the RBS?

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

Seems to be if the router can't get a good signal from the ISP modem or ONT, then problem maybe the ISP service or hardware or cabling. I'd check with the ISP when this happens to see if they can check there logs when this appears on the router unit. ISPs have been known to make changes or maybe some service disruptions occasionally. 

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Message 2 of 7
muusicman
Aspirant

I never see the pink light on when it happens. Just for a few seconds I’ll type a web address and it’ll just sit there like it’s loading but it doesn’t move. So after about 4 or 5 seconds I’ll comply force close the browser and then do it again and it will work.

The modem is a Calix 803G.

Orbi Firmware is v7.2.6.21

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

It might be worth experimenting with a different web browser.  Generally, I would expect a WiFi 'drop' to result in a notice on the affected computer claiming, "No Internet". and if a person opened another WiFi device (smartphone, tablet, etc.) and brought up the list of available WiFi networks, the Orbi network would not appear on the list.

Message 4 of 7
muusicman
Aspirant

Currently I don’t use the wired PC. I’m currently using the monitor on my PS5 so I can game and watch a video stream at the same time. It’s just all weird. Since I’m disabled and in poor health I use the internet a lot and it’s very important Top me. I just want it to be as good as it can be. Might I have the Orbi configuration somewhat wrong? I’d love it if someone corps help me configure it correctly or at least step me through it so I can see if I have it correct already.
Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

The question about 'wired' devices was intended to explore options for troubleshooting.  i.e.

• Does the WiFi actually 'drop'? or
  • Is there something wrong with the PS5?

One of the common diagnosis tools with portable WiFi devices is, "Try it on another WiFi system."  If the problem exists on other networks, it is more likely to be the device.

Hard to do with large devices that are connected to keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Another diagnosis step would be to run a program that 'watches' the internet connection.  There are programs that will send out a network ICMP message (often called 'ping') to some prominent internet host, such as Google.com every couple of seconds and see how long it takes for the response.  Ping Plotter 5 for Windows is one such tool.  Have no idea what is available for PS5 (sorry).

Message 6 of 7
muusicman
Aspirant

Man that's all confusing to me lol. I’m rather stupid with all this stuff. Also, highly stressed because of all the issues.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7