Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: HELP!!! Orbi 960 Series AXE11000 | Hardwire speeds of router and satelite fine, wifi drops rando

Re: HELP!!! Orbi 960 Series AXE11000 | Hardwire speeds of router and satelite fine, wifi drops rando

Next Update :

So all my satellites went offline yesterday and my speeds tanked. Only two came back on with the other saying disconnected. Speeds came back in the morning without me doing anything, and looking at the interference tool, I don't see anything. (All my signals / channels look green). 

The disconnected satellite would boot up to the blue light every time, even after I removed it and factory reset it 3 times!!!! If I hardwire to it, it still puts out good speed (800MBPs), but the app nor the Orbi login recognize it. I have no idea how its still working? 

I don't know what to do if I can't factory reset it. Is the only way to factory reset the entire system? I'd rather not do that again as each time it seems to take longer and longer to setup. 

Message 51 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface
Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...
https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.

Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release on the RBS first then RBR or kick of the RBR reset using the ERASE button on it's web page. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://kb.netgear.com/000062081/How-do-I-erase-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 52 of 79

So I do have to factory reset the router again? I was trying to avoid it as everything is actually working great right now, but that rogue satellite doesn't seem to be recognized anywhere. 

Do you think if I factory reset the satellite again and let it sit with no power for awhile that could clear it? 

(Sidenote: Waiting on a call from Netgear as I sent them debug logs and some other information for L3 to look at)

Message 53 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes try a reset on the RBS. 

The best advise we can give people is to start a new config, power on one RBS and wait for some SOLID light or most often blue or magenta. And then add the RBS WIRELESSLY via the WebUI. Power off the RBS. Then rinse and repeat with any additional RBS(s). Pair RBS one at a time even if you have more than one. For ethernet connected RBS, after things come up wirelessly, you can move to wired backhaul but don't start with wired backhaul for those RBS that are ethernet connected. Wirelessly connect and sync RBS first before ethernet connecting RBS. 

Message 54 of 79
AnalogK
Aspirant

I picked up a couple of WAX630e APs to rule out LAN or interference. They have been running just over 24 hours. I'm getting between 800-900Mbps.

Message 55 of 79

@FURRYe38 so just reset the satellite again or the router also?

Message 56 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a RBS on the RBS. Press reset button for 15 seconds then release. White for the front LED to blink white or pulsate WHITE for about 3 minutes. Then use the RBRs web page Add Satellite to add the RBS. I'd do this with the RBS near or in same room as the RBR. 

@detroitsandman wrote:

@FURRYe38 so just reset the satellite again or the router also?

Message 57 of 79

Well, now it is showing no satellites connected and the speeds are still going up and down.. I am still getting a hardwire connection off one that is showing as disconnected.. No idea what to do, waiting on L3 / ENG feedback from NetGear (Again). 

Question to anyone: Could this be my modem perhaps? It is a few years old, and should be in bridge mode but wondering if it could still be disrupting the signal somehow? I should have a new one in a few days, but figured I would ask those with experience. 

Message 58 of 79

Updating for a Hail Mary: 

Got a new modem from my ISP, inbound speeds are even faster, but seems the Orbi has slowed down more! How can this be? 

I am thinking hardware, but sill waiting to hear from NetGear... Anyone have any ideas or experience anything similar? I am about to go buy a Nest Pro and see if that fixes anything. 

Message 59 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Might ask NG for an cross RMA option and try another 960 series to see if that does same thing or not. 

Keep us posted on this.

Message 60 of 79

I bought another one at BestBuy and it seems to work fine, but NetGear support is still investigating. (Sent them countless logs, screenshots, etc.) 

I think they simply do not want to replace the unit and want me to go away. I plan to return this new one and go with something completely different so I don't have to deal with them or their support again, but will keep this thread posted as it progresses. (As of now I get an update every few days saying they are still working on it...) 

Message 61 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the original system with in warranty? 

@Blanca_O @KevinLiT 

Message 62 of 79

It was when I started troubleshooting, but now its past the 12 month mark, so Best Buy won't take it back anymore.... 

I am trying to see if NetGear customer service will do anything given this has been nearly 2 months, but I am not holding my breath given their support thus far. (Ideally they would refund me) They did however refund me the ProSupport cost, although I'd rather the refund on the system. 

Message 63 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Will have to let NG support figure this one out. RMA should be an option though if it's past NGs warranty time frame, not sure. Something to message the two forum moderators about and see what can be done. Wondering if the original unit was defective from the get go. 

Good Luck.

Message 64 of 79

Yeah I think it might have been the satellites and not the router to tell you the truth. (Given they did send a new router, but now its plagued with the same items as the original). 

The fact factory resets are not really clearing things out (I literally can't reset the satellites, they just keep retaining settings), seems to also indicate something with the satellites themselves. That's probably why these new ones are fine and I can't get the old ones back to original settings to see if that would work. 

I also left a negative Best Buy Review so a team reached out to me in response, and when I emailed them, they literally just said the same things support did. Didn't try to move along, prioritize or anything. So it was really just for appearances in the reviews. which makes things even more frustrating.

AND they still won't approve sending me any replacements while the continue to "look" at what was sent... I really think they just want me to forget about it at this point.  

Message 65 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Check with the forum mods and see. Ya, they should have sent a RBR and RBS to test. 

Message 66 of 79

I saw you @ a couple folks in, do you mean message them directly? (Sorry, I'm new to this forum). 

Message 67 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

Message 68 of 79
AnalogK
Aspirant

I replaced my 960s with WAX630Es. I can replicate slow connectivity by setting the transmit power to maximum and placing APs too close to each other. Setting transmit to 50% resolves the problem.

Message 69 of 79

Is that something you can adjust on the 960? 

I agree once I get either a refund or a replacement from NetGear, I'm likely to explore other options after this experience. 

Message 70 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Did you try this already? 

Message 71 of 79

Yeah I am pretty sure that was one of the many steps I took with Pro Support. 

They did just send me a beta firmware update to try, but I'm waiting to hear what the root cause was and how they fixed it before I waste any more time, effort, and energy on it. (Not to mention stress)

I'll share the root cause and whatever they send me with this thread as well.

Message 72 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

So you bought a new same model system and that doesn't reproduce the problem right on current release FW? 

Message 73 of 79

Correct. I wanted to prove my point that I thought it was a hardware issue.

I plan to return it, and given this problem has been going on for 8 weeks, I can't have intermittent internet when I need to work, kids have homework, etc. 

Overall I just want a refund or a new system from NetGear, as I am sick of all the back and forth. 

Message 74 of 79
FURRYe38
Guru

And they gave you a beta for the problem system right? 

I guess you'll need to test it out to see if it fixes this. 

I presume you did mention to them that the newly bought system works with out any issues and with out the beta right? 

Message 75 of 79
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 78 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7