Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

HELP! Slow WiFi on RBR850

Colin_523
Aspirant

HELP! Slow WiFi on RBR850

Desperate for some help, this system is driving me mad!

I've got the RBK853 - AX6000 Router and 2 Satellites

The router is plugged into the service provider modem with a Cat 8 cable. On the Orbi app it's saying 920MB download and 110MB upload. All good so far!

When I run a speed test (using FAST.COM) right next to the router I'm not seeing anything above about 560MB. I'm being told I should see about 90% of what I get through ethernet, which would be about 830MB.

I've tried the standard adjustment of removing 20/40MHz coexistence, setting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels and putting it on 1492 but none of it improves the speed.

Would really appreciate any feedback or experience anbody has on how to improve this!

Message 1 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: HELP! Slow WiFi on RBR850

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What devices are you using to speed test with near the RBR? 

What are speed results with a wired ethernet connected PC at the RBR using Ooklas installable speed test app? 

Message 2 of 23
raven_au
Virtuoso

@Colin_523 wrote:

The router is plugged into the service provider modem with a Cat 8 cable. On the Orbi app it's saying 920MB download and 110MB upload. All good so far!

When I run a speed test (using FAST.COM) right next to the router I'm not seeing anything above about 560MB. I'm being told I should see about 90% of what I get through ethernet, which would be about 830MB.

Assuming you are using a 2 srteam AX capable wireless device the maximum sync rate will be 1201 mbps and your syncing at that rate.

Historically my impression is that (on a good day and not all days are good) I get throughput around two thirds of the wireless sync rate but, if yor lucky, you might get three quarters of it. That's just the way it is due to the various protocol overheads involved in both wireless and IP communications.

Given that you seem to be able to get around 920mbps that should relate to about 610-690mbps. If you get getter than that then the wireless technology is improving which it should be.

What your seeing isn't that far from what I'd expect but 90% (aka. 820 or so) is a bit optimistic IMO.

So there may be room for improvemnt here but I'm not so sure it will be as much as you think.

Testing with a 4 stream wireless device (not many desktop or mobile devices around with that) then you would expect to be able to get the maximum possible available throughput.

Message 3 of 23
Colin_523
Aspirant

Hi @FURRYe38 

Thanks for responding.

Firmware is V3.2.18.1

The ISP modem is a BT Smart Hub 2 (UK product) - with WiFi turned off

WiFi tested on a MacBook Pro 15" 2019 and iPhone 12 Pro Max

Ethernet tested on a MacBook Pro 13" 2010

WiFi results on Ookla Speetest is 620MB on both devices standing right next to the Orbi router

Wired ethernet speed is 913MB on the old MacBook

Message 4 of 23
Colin_523
Aspirant

Hi @raven_au 

I hear what you're saying, but it doesn't match up with what Netgear and other users are telling me.

Message 5 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What connection rates are you seeing on the MBP 2019? Select Option and right click on the wifi icon on the top tool bar to reveal connection rate info. If your 2019 Mac Book doesn't have AX mode support, then max connetion rate you'l ever seen between the MBP and Orbi is 1300Mpbs on 5Ghz AC.

My 12Max iphone has seen near 700Mpbs however mostly hangs around 500-600Mpbs. My MBP 2018 sees around 700Mpbs at close range. 500-600Mpbs mostly. This is typical for the AC mode support on 5Ghz. You wont' see much near 900Mpbs on wifi like on wired ethernet. Unless you have AX mode supporting devices along with 3x3 or 4x4 MIMO antenna support. My ASUS GT-11000 in client wireless bridge mode gets 900Mpbs+ while connected to the RBR. Close distance. 

Message 6 of 23
Colin_523
Aspirant

My mistake, it's a 2018MBP. Tx rate goes from 702 to 877.

Message 7 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Mine gets from 1170 to 1300Mbs while near my RBR. Are you checking the connection rate while it's speed testing or idle? I've noticed that at least on my MBP, the connection rate seems to drop to somethign slower until it's put under load. Then it goes up. 

What OSX version are you using? 

What connection rates do you see on the MBP 2013 and iPhone 12Max? 

What channels are you using? I'm using 11 and 48 though I had before tested with 1 and 40. 
What CTS value do you have set on the RBR? 64? Try 2347. 

Message 8 of 23
Colin_523
Aspirant

I was about 5m away when I looked at the tx rate, nothing else going on.

OSX is 11.5.1

The WiFi is slower on the MBP 2010, but the iPhone 12 is the same as the MBP 2018

Channels are 11 and 48.

CTS is 64 on both.

Message 9 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Try at 6 feet away and check the connection rates. 

Greater distances will not connect at max rates, depending on building materials, noise and distances. 

Message 10 of 23
raven_au
Virtuoso

@Colin_523 wrote:

Hi @raven_au 

I hear what you're saying, but it doesn't match up with what Netgear and other users are telling me.

Actually my analysis was flawed, I assumed your device wireless was syncing at 1201mbps but used 900mbps to calculate expected throughput.

If you use 1201 for what I'm describing you get 800-900mpbs so the speed is a bit slow.

It's worth checking what rate the device is actually syncing at, that will make a difference and whether the trafic is being routed via a satelite (unfortunately I'm not aware of a way to check the sync rate of a satelite) or not since that will make a difference too.

Message 11 of 23
Colin_523
Aspirant

Getting a solid 1300MB right next to it.

Message 12 of 23
Colin_523
Aspirant

Not sure what you mean by sync rate?

Message 13 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

And what speed results do you see at this location? Should be around 700Mbps...

@Colin_523 wrote:

Getting a solid 1300MB right next to it.

Message 14 of 23
Colin_523
Aspirant

Was getting 600MB. Downgraded the FW, then upgraded it again and it went up to 720MB. Added a satellite. Downgraded and upgraded the FW again and now it's back to 600MB!

Message 15 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What version did you downgrade too when you got 700Mbps? 

I would not have downgraded then upgraded FW after being on what was working with 700Mpbs...

Message 16 of 23
raven_au
Virtuoso

@Colin_523 wrote:

Not sure what you mean by sync rate?

The rate at which the wireless on the client syncs with the with the wireless on the router.

You can find it using the Oribi app by tapping on the client in question in the client list of the Client Manager tile of navigating though the Network Map tile to the client. It's called Link Rate in that display.

Generally you won't get 90% of the Link Rate throughput, more likely you will get 2/3 to 3/4 of it.

If your Link Rate is low then there is probably interference or you are a distance away from the router or satelite your wireless client is associated with. But being too close can sometimes be a problem too.

Typically wireless AX clients will sync at up to 1200mpbs and ac clients will sync at up to 866mpbs (ie. 2x2 wireless, 2 receive and 2 transmit streams). If your wireless client has more than two streams (eg. some computers, but mobile devices, laptops, TVs etc. generally have 2x2 wireless) the rate will be higher.

Message 17 of 23
raven_au
Virtuoso

@raven_au wrote:

Generally you won't get 90% of the Link Rate throughput, more likely you will get 2/3 to 3/4 of it.

I have to say I have noticed some strange behaviour wrt. sync rate on these Orbis.

In one location I have an Sheild TV and an Apple TV 4k connected to a (fairly dumb) TV.

To be honest they are in a really bad location although not far from one of my satelites.

They seem to drop to a very slow sync rate or switch bands and it's quite hard to get stable wireless with them.

But that wasn't the case with the RBS50 or any of the ASUS routers, including ASUS AX routers, I have used.

Message 18 of 23
Colin_523
Aspirant

It was V3.2.17.12. Rookie mistake. Instructions say to upgrade the router after the satellites, I added a new satellite that then needed updating and that's why I did it.

Message 19 of 23
Colin_523
Aspirant

Ok, thanks.

My iPhone and MBP are in the same place and connected to the same satellite. MBP link rate is 1170Mbps, iPhone is 720Mbps. MBP is getting about 30% of that and iPhone about 37%.

The link rate in my iPhone app is Network Map / Click on the Orbi connected to / Click on the device in the list

My head hurts!

Message 20 of 23
Colin_523
Aspirant

Yup. Makes diagnostics really difficult. Can't compare like with like.

Message 21 of 23
raven_au
Virtuoso

@Colin_523 wrote:

Ok, thanks.

My iPhone and MBP are in the same place and connected to the same satellite. MBP link rate is 1170Mbps, iPhone is 720Mbps. MBP is getting about 30% of that and iPhone about 37%.

The link rate in my iPhone app is Network Map / Click on the Orbi connected to / Click on the device in the list

My head hurts!

It's probably a silly question but have you (on the iPhone) forgot or reconfigured (on the MBP) the wireless association?

It probably won't help but should be fairly straight forward to try.

In the past the claim is that there can be information about a previous wireless connection that isn't ok for a connection to a different device. I'm not certain that's right but when I first started using AX based routers I started seeing router reboots and after going around and resetting connection on devices a couple at a time, easiest first (mobiles, TV's etc.), the reboots eventualy actually stopped happening, odd I must say.

So perhaps this is worth trying.

Message 22 of 23
Colin_523
Aspirant

Tried Googling this and can't find anything on it, so no idea where to start.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7