Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I split 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz?

flyerBob
Aspirant

How do I split 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz?

I have devices that need a 2.4 GHZ ONLY network.

How do I split the 5 and 2.4 GHz networks?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How do I split 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz?

Orbi doesn't support separation of SSIDs. 

What model Orbi do you have? 

Message 2 of 8
flyerBob
Aspirant

So my devices are permanently locked out?

Not sure if that model is correct - what pulls up is RBR 750 with the interface

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

No. Devices should connect. You can use same SSID name and PW On Orbi as used on any prior router. Its up to the wifi devices to pick and choose which signal they connect too. For 2.4Ghz only devices, they will never see or connect to 5Ghz signals. 

Message 4 of 8
flyerBob
Aspirant

The device I am connecting - a home water monitoring system - required me to split the networks on my prior network, then it worked fine, using two different SSIDs.

I can't get the device to see the network at all.

The other possibility is security blocking, but the device manufacturer specifically says to separate the networks, and this worked before.

If I temporarily limit the network to 2.4 GHz, and it doesn't connect, is there a way to bypass the security software? Is there a place to put in a permitted MAC address?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the device see any SSID from the RBR?

I'd turn OFF the RBS.

Try this as a test, disable AX mode on the RBR for both freqencies.

Set CTS and RTS values to 2347 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

Temparily disble WPA2 on the RBR. Set to OPEN or disabled. Apply the setting.

Check the device to see if it sees the SSID from the RBR...Does it connect to the OPEN SSID if it does? 

Message 6 of 8
flyerBob
Aspirant

I was able to get the device to connect by turining off the AX enable 5GHz, and leaving on 2.4 GHz.

Now the question will be if I can turn the 5GHz back on after they are paired. I tried that yeasterday, but there was a reset and power failure - I had to turn off 5 GHz to get them to reconnect.

I wonder if I leave 5 GHz turned off under Wireless Settings - Enable AX, will that cause problems for new devices connecting to the network, that are 5 GHz capable?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

No you can leave AX mode disaabled. You can enable AX mode on 5Ghz as well. Any 2.4Ghz only devices will not see or care what happens on 5Ghz.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7