Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to specify 2.4 vs 5g on Orbi RBX852

Snoopchic
Aspirant

How to specify 2.4 vs 5g on Orbi RBX852

I had a Nighthawk previously and it recently died on us so we picked up an Orbi and I was told very specifically that we would be able to separate the 2.4 and 5G channels because for some reason 2.4 drops to around 30Mbps verses around 500-600Mbps when it's on 5G. I do not want our signal lagging during gaming on  Xbox/PS5 as we have had that issue before. How do you tell the network to never use the 2.4? Our house was doing perfectly fine with the Nighthawk, we just didn't get signal in our garage, so we thought adding the satellite to cover the garage would be a benefit, but so far it's just a challenge as we get such huge swings in signal. I hate to take it back, but if we can't bypass the signal jumping it will not work for us at all. There are a ton of different posts on this, but in general all the solutions that were posted before have been removed in the updates. 

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: How to specify 2.4 vs 5g on Orbi RBX852

There is no known method to create different WiFi SSIDs for the Orbi 850 product line. None.

A lot of laptops, tablets, and smartphones have the option to restrict the WiFi interface to certain frequencies.  A brief search did not turn up such a capability for the XBox.  Bummer.

Message 2 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@Snoopchic wrote:

....  I was told very specifically that we would be able to separate the 2.4 and 5G channels because for some reason 2.4 drops to around 30Mbps verses around 500-600Mbps when it's on 5G. ..... 

The Wifi roaming standards states that the mobile device should decide the best channel to connect to from the available channels. Orbi provides very good wifi coverage compared to any other router. If Xbox is located withing the good coverage for 5 GHz then it will for sure choose a 5-GHz channel otherwise it will fallback to 2.4 GHz untill the 5 GHz has a better coverage. So make sure the Xbox is within a good distance to the Orbi router/satellite and you will be fine.

@Snoopchic wrote:

..............but if we can't bypass the signal jumping it will not work for us at all. ..... 

What signal jumping do you see? Do you mean that the satellite looses connection to the router?

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

I'd also recommend giving it a few days after setup to stabilize. When I first install mesh systems, more of my devices tend to end up on 2.4ghz and then later (after some usage) bandsteer to the higher 5ghz. Even my roku/android tv devices do this. 'm not sure exactly what protocol those devices are using to choose 2.4ghz/5ghz but give it a little time. 

do keep in mind that the 2.4ghz hitting 30mbps is about correct. Its a slow network and sensitive to interference. Luckily, most gaming doesn't take a whole lot of bandwidth and is more about latency .

Message 4 of 6
Snoopchic
Aspirant

Thank you. Yes we are well within range for 5g. This was not an issue at all for all of my last routers (nighthawk and Asus) we just got the orbi hoping to get coverage in our garage. we got coverage in our garage before but it was spotty. 

by signal jumping I mean going from 2.4 to 5g.

Message 5 of 6
ekhalil
Master

If you see that the Xbox is frequently switching between the bands then it can be that it can’t handle AX features. My Apple Watch -as an example- can’t handle that.
To confirm this and just for testing please try disabling AX on both bands and see if this improves things.
You can find the settings on the web interface >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> Wireless Setup
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7