Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I am having trouble being able to get my Verizon router to go into IP pass through

bcfleischmann
Aspirant

I am having trouble being able to get my Verizon router to go into IP pass through

Where would I go if I don't have the radio button as stated in the user manual? I am having trouble being able to get my Verizon router to go into IP pass through and have the Orbi connect properly. I can't remove the account name; says it cannot be null.

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 2.36.25 PM.png

Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I am having trouble being able to get my Verizon router to go into IP pass through

What Orbi model system do you have?

If your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
Try option #2 first...You'll need to contact the ISP for help on any WAN side configurations needed on there equipment.

Message 2 of 21
bcfleischmann
Aspirant

Re: I am having trouble being able to get my Verizon router to go into IP pass through

Sorry. I have the CBR750. 

Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, is Verizon service you have Cable or Fiber? I've only seen Verizon support Fiber and if this is the case for you, them the CBR will not work for you as it's only supported on Cable ISP services, not Fiber. 

Message 4 of 21
bcfleischmann
Aspirant

For some reason my reply didn't go in this thread like I wanted it to.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/Orbi-to-Verizon-5G-Gateway/m-p/2314...

I just got the Verizon 5G home internet (router using their cell towers). From what I have read on the Verizon forum, it can allow IP pass through to use your own equipment. But with me having the modem/router combo of the CBR750, perhaps this won't be possible. Sorry to confuse. 

New equipment:
Verizon internet gateway

Modell ARC-XCI55AX

Current equipment:
Orbi CBR750 with two satellites. 

Message 5 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

All CBRs are cable modems first, that have a built in router with WIFI MESH features. These CBR modems are cable modems first and foremost, meaning that there main connection to an ISP is thru the RG6 coax cable connector you have in back of the CBR. This only connects to a Cable ISP service with coax cable running up to the house and to the back of the CBR. You can NOT connect this to any other ISP services, Fiber or cell service system or otherwise. 

The only thing you can do is to configure the CBR for a faux AP mode then connect the CBR to the host router using one of the LAN ports in back and it will work in this configuration along with the RBS if you have any to connect. 

Message 6 of 21
bcfleischmann
Aspirant

If that’s the case, is there any benefit to trying to use the Orbi as basically a WiFi extender with this Verizon internet gateway router? I’m cutting costs and my area it’s Cox or nothing. Now this became an option but my speeds are slower, but nothing I can’t deal with long term.
Message 7 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Do you have any RBS750s to go with the CBR? 

The CBR won't integrate with the ISP routers wifi. You can disable the wifi on the ISP router and try the CBR in the faux AP mode and see if it gets you better wifi coverage in the home, and if you have any RBS, this will be beneficial as well. 

I have tried my CBR750 in faux AP mode and it works and with a RBS750 as well. 

Message 8 of 21
bcfleischmann
Aspirant

Sq ft isn’t much only around 1800. But it’s two story and I have dead zones it seems from my previous Or I setup so when I upgraded I went overkill. I have two RBS750s.
Message 9 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so for that size, then just the CBR and just one RBS would be enough. With placement of the CBR and the RBS, 30 feet distances in between, would have great coverage. 

Message 10 of 21
bcfleischmann
Aspirant

I’ll give it a shot. Thank you for the help.
Message 11 of 21
bcfleischmann
Aspirant

Is there a reference for me to review to set the Orbi as faux AP mode?
Message 12 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

I do not see Access Point (AP) mode in the CBR750 user manual

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/CBK752/CBK750_UM_EN.pdf 

Message 13 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

There is no official AP mode setting, HOWEVER. 
If you set the CBRs IP address from 192.168.1.1 to what you have on your host router system, I recommend setting the CBR to 192.168.#.75, After this is set on the CBR, disable the DHCP server under Advanced Tab/Setup/LAN Setup. Apply the change, then when the CBR reboots, connect one LAN cable from the host router to the back of the CBR, any free LAN port here, the CBR will get internet services on it's LAN port from the host router. 

What is your host routers default IP address on the LAN side? 

I recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool size on the host router to .100 to 200. So that the new static IP address .75 set on the CBR can be out side of the host routers default IP address pool. You can then access the CBRs web page at 192.168.#.75 any time with a web browser. 

@bcfleischmann wrote:
Is there a reference for me to review to set the Orbi as faux AP mode?

Message 14 of 21
bcfleischmann
Aspirant

The default IP on the Verizon internet gateway is 192.168.1.1

So I should set the Verizon box to IP 192.168.1.100? And the CBR to 192.168.1.75?

Message 15 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so only thing you should change is the DHCP IP range on the host router range from .100 to .200. Then set 192.168.1.75 on the CBR.

Message 16 of 21
bcfleischmann
Aspirant

Changing the IP and enabling pass through on the Verizon router didn’t work for me. Gave me a green light which is no internet connection. I had to reset it to get that back up. Not sure why it would do that. It did it only enabling IP pass through when I first started to work on this. Any other suggestion to get this possibly working with the Orbi?
Message 17 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Don't enable ip-pass thru for the CBR in ap mode. Not needed.

Message 18 of 21
bcfleischmann
Aspirant

This was on the Verizon internet box. Not the CBR. I can’t even access the CBR now after I changed the IP to 192.168.1.75. Probably because it’s not able to connect with the Verizon router?
Message 19 of 21
bcfleischmann
Aspirant

Will I need to reset the CBR back to factory in order to retry getting the settings correct? Or is there a way for me to somehow access the Admin as I currently have it?
Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Set a static IP address ON your PCs networking adapter for 192.168.1.49 and 255.255.255.0. Then connect the PC behind the CBR and you should be able to access the CBR at 192.168.1.75 if thats the address you set for it. 

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7