Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I am not successful in having both satellites hardwired- please help

NickP1000
Aspirant

I am not successful in having both satellites hardwired- please help

Hello! I just purchased a new home in June and have been struggling to get to the best mesh system. I purchased this AX4200 and its fine, but not optimal. I am having trouble getting all 3 systems to be hardwired. Let me kinda explain what I have and hopefully someone can help solve my problem! Greatly appreciated in advance because Netgear customer service/online has been no help.

I have 3 levels in my house approx 3200 sq feet.

Basement Level, Level 1 and Level 2.

Basement Level- Gonetspeed fiber modem and Orbi AX4200 router.

Also in the basement are 2 separate ethernet cords ran to level 1 and level 2.

Level 1 (my office) has a female jack that is fed from level 1 to the basement. I attached Satellite 1 to that female jack via jumper ethernet cord. Powered on.

Level 2 (laundry room) has a female jack that is fed from level 1 to the basement. I attached Satellite 2 to that female jack via jumper ethernet cord. Powered on.

For downstairs in the basement I purchased a TP-Link TL-SG105 5 port gigabit ethernet switch. I ran the wire from the modem to the router in the yellow port. The next port I ran an ethernet cord from the router to the ethernet switch port #1 (left to right). I then attached the end cord from level 1 and 2 to ports 2 and 3. 

It is only showing me that one satilete is hard wired while the other one is using wifi. How can I get them both to be hardwired. I'm ready to pull my hair out 🙂 or whatever is left! thank you for your help community. 

*ps this is all new hardware, and I made an electrical today come in and terminate the ends of the wires, and female ports for those 2 cat5e wires to level 1 and 2. 

Message 1 of 10
NickP1000
Aspirant

Re: I am not successful in having both satellites hardwired- please help

Level 2 (laundry room) has a female jack that is fed from ***level 2*** to the basement. I attached Satellite 2 to that female jack via jumper ethernet cord. Powered on.

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@NickP1000 wrote:

It is only showing me that one satilete is hard wired while the other one is using wifi. How can I get them both to be hardwired. I'm ready to pull my hair out 🙂 or whatever is left! thank you for your help community. 

The most obvious place to start is with the wiring on the satellite which does not show a wired connection.

Many times the issue is with the RJ45 terminations.  High speed Ethernet requires all four pairs to be terminated correctly. Inexpensive "cable testers" sold at home centers are not capable of testing the performance of the cable.

Because satellites are portable, it might be worth spending a few minutes to temporarily relocate the satellite that is not showing a wired connection down to the basement and connect it directly to one of the router Ethernet ports.  If that works (it may take a few minutes), then obviously the satellite is capable of a wired connection and the issue is probably the wiring.

Message 4 of 10
NickP1000
Aspirant

I have tried this already... I can't do the first 2 as the wires are within the walls of my home. the 3rd is what I am trying To do but it will not work properly 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you take all RBS to same room as RBR or near the RBR. Using ethernet cables connect one RBS at a time to the RBR and see if they all connect there while checking the RBRs web page. CAT6 LAN cable is recommended. 

Message 6 of 10
NickP1000
Aspirant

this is so weird. so when I am all plugged in... its telling me my "playroom" is feeding off the "laundry" for hardwired but my "laundry" is wifi off the router. Why is this happening?

Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

• Message 1 described wiring to "office" and "laundry".  no "playroom".
  • The Attached Devices page is saying that the cable that is supposed to run from "playroom" to the router goes instead to the "laundry". (Perhaps through a switch in the basement that is not connected to the Orbi router LAN?)

It may be time to get a cable tester and verify exactly which wall jack goes to which wall jack.

Message 8 of 10
NickP1000
Aspirant

Sorry my office is the playroom.

Playroom is level 1
Laundry is level 2
Message 9 of 10
BullMoon
Apprentice

A lot of good suggestions. But let me add this one: don't assume the wiring or anything else is good.  Test it, then you know.

I would do what has been suggested in this order:

1 - Get all the Orbi gear together and use short patch cables to connect the SATs to the Orbi.  Give it some time for the SATs to go from WiFi to Wired.  If you have problems with this configuration, then can go from there.

2 - If that above all works, then put one SAT on at a time, Wired, in the locations you want them in. I would avoid using that switch to connect them to the Orbi unless there is no other way to do it - just to avoid more variables.

3 - If one SAT fails to come on as wired, SWAP the SATs to verify the problem follows either the connection or the SAT.  If it follows the connection, there is almost certainly a wiring problem which could include any patch cable used and long cable run to the location.  Swapping out the patch cables is easy enough. If that doesn't solve it, then it is likely the in-wall wiring - which could be as simple as the terminations.  If the problem follows the SAT, then it may need to be reset or sync'd.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7