Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I just purchased the RBK852 system and this is one of my hang ups with it

ChuckIV
Aspirant

I just purchased the RBK852 system and this is one of my hang ups with it

Little late to the discussion but I just purchased the RBK852 system and this is one of my hang ups with it… the way these Orbis boot. The main router is always first to come up then the satellites. So most of my devices see the router first and off they go. The worst is our Ring floodlight. It connects to the router as soon as it’s up and I have to do a complete network rediscover to get it to connect to the closer satellite. If I don’t I get poor video response. Reducing power doesn’t really help either.

Because of this, I decided to also try the eero pro 6E and this works so much better at getting my devices to connect to the closest device. I believe this is because the eero devices are generic, meaning either can be the router and either can be the satellite. So each power up at the same pace, thus making the Wi-Fi available fast enough on the satellite for the devices to see it first.

A simple way for Orbi to do this is to add a setting that on boot up, don’t start the Wi-Fi until the router and all satellites are online.

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: I just purchased the RBK852 system and this is one of my hang ups with it

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs WIFI radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

WIFI has to be up and running on the RBR always first so it can provide service to wireless connected RBS. How it's designed. 

We can't control how WIFI devices connect either. It up to those devices to pick and choose where they connect too. Nature of the beast. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7